• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warehouse finds like this scare me

97 posts in this topic

I don't know about warehouse finds, but back in the late '90s I was a co-buyer of part of a pretty cool Golden Age collection that had been "discovered" by a guy who was an insurance investigator/adjuster or some such. Not really sure what he did for a living or how he found all this stuff, but in addition to the comics, his house and garage were crammed to the rafters with all kinds of mess: sealed cases of those little blue Yankee souvenir baseball bats, even more cases of Willie Stargel-endorsed electric shavers from the '70s, boxes and boxes of tin signs, souvenir program books, cheapie holiday decorations, decorative beer mugs, bundled newspapers and magazines direct from the distributor...the works...all packaged in their original shipping cartons, etc.

It was pretty damn funny. Makes you wonder how many more guys like that are out there. And he actually gave me one of those Yankee bats. Sold the GA books a long time ago...but I still have the bat.

It is massive 22,000 piece golden age warehouse finds like this that scare me from spending big bucks for something supposedly rare in grade.

Can you imagine the effect this would have on CGC comic prices if this was 22,000 gold, silver or even early bronze age comics?

Give it time...I don't expect the Church-like collection is the last of the great GA pedigrees to be found...

Jim

Really? See, I think the longer things go, the less likely we will see another big Golden Age find like Church/MH. hm

I don't...mark my words...you'll see another, maybe more, massive GA find within the next 10 years. After that the prospects get dimmer...

Jim

Perhaps another Crippen-like collection, but another Church? No way at all....

I am waiting for BangZoom to go on vacation so I can make a discovery in his basement.... ;)

phew, at least they weren't the captain marvel ones from that era, I paid like $20 for a few for fun, although I'm sure there are palettes of those somewhere too.

these will probably need to be sold at flee markets for like $2 a pop or something. maybe they'll be able to sell one a week on ebay for more.

as for church collections...you'd only need to be like 80 or so to have started buying and hoarding comics at the start of things. is there some other wacky pack rat out there? no doubt. are there 10 of them who might be dropping dead in the next 10 years? maybe.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing these are from the same find of Capt. Marvel paper toys, which were also from a warehouse find and are extremely common. People (myself included) have snapped up the Capt. Marvels for 20 bucks each, probably just because it's so amazing to see them in pristine shape. They are very common though, but despite this, the market has supported 20 bucks a piece for almost 15 years (that I know of).

Major GA warehouse finds excite me. I want to see thousands of Pep 22's and MM1's and Centaurs and all the rest found. I want these books to be given away on street corners so everyone can read them and see how fun they are. What would be the problem with that....unless you're only in it for the money and in that case, I hear real estate is the way to go.

It is massive 22,000 piece golden age warehouse finds like this that scare me from spending big bucks for something supposedly rare in grade.

Can you imagine the effect this would have on CGC comic prices if this was 22,000 gold, silver or even early bronze age comics?

Give it time...I don't expect the Church-like collection is the last of the great GA pedigrees to be found...

Jim

I do

Public knowledge are at an all time high for comic book and collectibles.

Getting that old personwho has a a huge collection on HG golden age or Silver age etc... are long gone.

Esepcially since the people who are getting old now are the people who know that comics are worth money.

"baby boomers'

I think the one thing that high end collectors with key issues fear, is a warehouse find of say... a hundred thousand Action 1's and Tec 27's and Superman and Batman 1.

You fear large discoveries of anything high end you collect.

Some guy just paid $2000+ for an Iron Man #128. Now we might not find another Church collection, but it would not surprise me at all if one day someone found an uncirculated case of 500 copies of Iron Man #128 (from 1979). In a warehouse, or more likely, in some collector's house who has been holding them for 29 years.

And now that the price as gone to $2000+, he slabs his best copies and gets 50 in 9.8, which he slowly starts selling one at a time. Say goodbye to the $2000 price level, you will be lucky to get $50 for a 9.8 once all 50 copies are on the market.

I'm just not getting why this would be a bad thing? (shrug)

I'm positively foaming at the mouth at the thought of a huge cache of unbelievably high grade Silver being unearthed. I could have all of those books I want, in pristine condition, for a fraction of what I'd have to pay now...if I can actually find them.

If you're an investor/speculator, rather than a fan and reader of the medium, I can perhaps see the problem, but a huge warehouse find?

Bring it on! :headbang:

Well, as long as those boxes are sitting in the parking lot the only thing someone invested in these paper toys can do at this point is PRAY FOR RAIN!!

Thanks for the link and thanks to all of the posters for the best thread of the day!!

More product in the market means more product available at a price more people can afford. This might result in more collectors who will desire those same books. More collectors desiring those books means the law of supply and demand will force the prices back up and everyone is happy again.

Yay!

Warehouse finds definitely kill value - I can remember books that were seemingly HTF in ultra high-grade, then BAM!, someone hit EBay with a boxful, the Census mushroomed and values were cut in half.

Today, that same book may look *valuable* but it's still at 50% or less of its pre-find sales price.

SInce I don't have a lot of these rarer comics frankly I'd like to see something like that happen boxes full of amf or asm #1s & ff#1s :P ha! would be the only way i could get my hands on a nice copy frankly anyone who spends big on comics & expects to always get it back is taking a chance so ya get what ya get really :D i'm not into collecting comics for value how ever that does not hurt, I collect frankly for the sake of collecting!

There are probably more comics squirreled away out there than anybody here has thought to imagine. Hell, give them enough time and they will probably find another Stan Lee.

An evil clone.

There are probably more comics squirreled away out there than anybody here has thought to imagine. Hell, give them enough time and they will probably find another Stan Lee.

An evil clone.

Now there's an assumption...

An evil clone.

maybe their try to freeze him like Walt Disney or Ted William's Head. :insane:

An evil clone.

Now there's an assumption...

Oh, I see: you're suggesting that Stan "The Man" Lee is the evil original & the pending clone discovery will be the Good version of Mr. Lieber.