• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help:Superboy

19 posts in this topic

I'm primarily a silver age "Superman Family" (Action, Adventure, Superman, Superboy, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, World's Finest) collector. In that vein I have been trying to complete certain silver age runs of these titles.

I completed my Jimmy Olsen collection last year (1-163), have about 100 of the 137 Lois Lanes, and am now actively persuing a complete Superboy collection.

Superboy will be alot more expensive and time consuming to complete that Jimmy Olsen.

If you have ever sought after 1952-1956 DC's in any kind of decent shape, you already have a appreciation for how tough it can be to be a completist.

I love the Superboy run, and so far I would say it is my favorite of the seven. The stories are whimsical good fun, and the art is great. Superboy tends to be a less expensive, less sought after title than Superman, although it is the same character (go figure!)

As anyone will tell you, collect what you like. I never promote collecting anything you wouldn't read or enjoy.

If you do want to collect Superboy, here are some of my pointers.

Most post 100 issues are in relatively good supply in nice shape. If you stay away from ultra high grade issues, you should be able to buy books at guide or less.

Look at the run in Adventure Comics with the Legion of Super Heroes (300-380). They have great stories and art, and are a very under valued series. Some of the best Superboy stories of the 60's appeared with the Legion.

Ebay has a steady supply of Superboy's, you should be able to start getting books there right away.

I would try to buy some #'s from different era's of the series (it ran for 258 issues over a 30 year period) to see what era you like the best, then maybe concentrate on that run.

Good luck, its a fun series. I have 80 more issues to go with #2 being my earliest one. smile.gif

I'm primarily a silver age "Superman Family" (Action, Adventure, Superman, Superboy, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, World's Finest) collector. In that vein I have been trying to complete certain silver age runs of these titles.

I completed my Jimmy Olsen collection last year (1-163), have about 100 of the 137 Lois Lanes, and am now actively persuing a complete Superboy collection.

Superboy will be alot more expensive and time consuming to complete that Jimmy Olsen.

If you have ever sought after 1952-1956 DC's in any kind of decent shape, you already have a appreciation for how tough it can be to be a completist.

I love the Superboy run, and so far I would say it is my favorite of the seven. The stories are whimsical good fun, and the art is great. Superboy tends to be a less expensive, less sought after title than Superman, although it is the same character (go figure!)

As anyone will tell you, collect what you like. I never promote collecting anything you wouldn't read or enjoy.

If you do want to collect Superboy, here are some of my pointers.

Most post 100 issues are in relatively good supply in nice shape. If you stay away from ultra high grade issues, you should be able to buy books at guide or less.

Look at the run in Adventure Comics with the Legion of Super Heroes (300-380). They have great stories and art, and are a very under valued series. Some of the best Superboy stories of the 60's appeared with the Legion.

Ebay has a steady supply of Superboy's, you should be able to start getting books there right away.

I would try to buy some #'s from different era's of the series (it ran for 258 issues over a 30 year period) to see what era you like the best, then maybe concentrate on that run.

Good luck, its a fun series. I have 80 more issues to go with #2 being my earliest one. smile.gif

STOP! STOP! STOP! Stop buying all the Superboys on ebay!

So I can buy them first. smile.gif Or at least buy the issues I already have!

About 20 years ago I bought a nice run of Superboys from 135 to 175 from a local shop. I've had some of the duplicates graded and they came back 9.4, and the ones I didn't have graded look much better, so I think they're really nice 9.4+, probably.

I just got a mess of really high grade stuff from Harley Yee in the 160 to 197 range (9.4s and a couple of 9.6s). I'm paying too much for this stuff, but that's what I want.

I probably have about 25 to get to complete my Superboy run. But then I need to work on upgrading. I recently upgraded my #2 from a Fair copy to a CGC 8.0 (and sold my #2 on ebay). My #1 is a 7.5. I think I will get my 3 and 99 graded with my free Collectors Society thingie.

My next big thing to get is an Adventure #210 (1st Krypto). Those are hard to find.

Who would have thought so many people would be trying to build Superboy runs?

STOP! STOP! STOP! Stop buying all the Superboys on ebay!

So I can buy them first. smile.gif Or at least buy the issues I already have!

About 20 years ago I bought a nice run of Superboys from 135 to 175 from a local shop. I've had some of the duplicates graded and they came back 9.4, and the ones I didn't have graded look much better, so I think they're really nice 9.4+, probably.

I just got a mess of really high grade stuff from Harley Yee in the 160 to 197 range (9.4s and a couple of 9.6s). I'm paying too much for this stuff, but that's what I want.

I probably have about 25 to get to complete my Superboy run. But then I need to work on upgrading. I recently upgraded my #2 from a Fair copy to a CGC 8.0 (and sold my #2 on ebay). My #1 is a 7.5. I think I will get my 3 and 99 graded with my free Collectors Society thingie.

My next big thing to get is an Adventure #210 (1st Krypto). Those are hard to find.

Who would have thought so many people would be trying to build Superboy runs?

Superboy #6

Bob,

Do you have a #6?

I am undecided on whether to bid on this one. It's rougher shape than I would like, but you don't see 6's come up very often, and it has a cool cover.

What 25 issues are you missing?

Thanks for the recomendations! thumbsup2.gif

Do you have a favorite #?

If yes, whay?

So this is way outside the Golden Age, but I'd just like to second the recommendation of the later Superboy/Legion stories in Adventure Comics-- this represents Jim Shooter's first contribution to comics, and a personal favorite would be the introduction of Legion villain Mordru

299196-adv369.JPG

This story also takes place largely within Superboy's 20th century continuity, rather than the 30th century home of the Legion.

Within the Superboy title itself, you cannot go wrong with the Dave Cockrum Legion issues 193, 195, 197-202, but those of course are well into the 1970s, and are quite common.

If you're interested in a synopsis of individual Superboy/Legion stories along with pictures of the covers, keep an eye out on eBay for the ICG comics indexes. Right now I could only find one currently up for auction, but they're generally not hard to find.

Cheers,

Z.

I don't have a #6. They seem to be hard to find. I'm missing 6, 7, 11, 14, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 25, 29 and a couple in the 30s and I think I'm missing 48.

I doubt I'll bid on that #6. I'm sticking with CGCs on ebay for now. It does look a bit rough.

I will look and see if I have any extras of the ones you have listed in your siggy line.

Part of the problem may be the whole Superboy series is now completely outside the post-Byrne Superman continuity. Lots of the impact of key books is related to their historical importance in the character's history. So No history = Not as much importance.

That said, a quick check of Overstreet leads me to say:

1 - First issue

10- First Lana Lang

68- Bizarro

89- Mon-El

90- Pete Ross learns Superboy ID

98- Ultra Boy (LSH)

100-Anniversary

147-New LSH origin surrounded by reprints

184-Cockrum LSH begins

195-First Wildfire

197-Becomes Superboy/Legion

200-LSH wedding issue

202-100 Page issue, last Cockrum art

203-First Grell art, Death Invisible Kid

yeah, it is pretty weighted towards Bronze Age books, because as you can probably tell, I'm a fan of the Cockrum/Grell Legion of Super-Heroes (LSH).