• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SLIGHT marvel chipping question

5 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase a raw VF/NM book and it is very clean except for what looks like is the beginning of mc along 1 spot of the right edge. You can see that a small piece has actually started to split. Question is would that keep it out of that grade or can someone show me an example of a VF/NM book with that problem.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, years ago, MROCZEK had on eBay a CGC 8.5 Spiderman #1, that had some very tough chipping along the right front cover edge (It was a really beautiful book BESIDES this, DID NOT sell). And I know a few others have probably mentioned this BUT for years "marvel chipping" was NOT considered a defect.

Steve, years ago, MROCZEK had on eBay a CGC 8.5 Spiderman #1, that had some very tough chipping along the right front cover edge (It was a really beautiful book BESIDES this, DID NOT sell). And I know a few others have probably mentioned this BUT for years "marvel chipping" was NOT considered a defect.

I think that is correct that mc was not considered a defect. But as a practical matter, in terms of its impact on sales rather than on grade, I think it depends -- obviously -- on how extensive it is. I remember there was a seller of several pre-hero TOS and TTA on eBay a few years ago. For some reason, all of his copies had extensive mc. Although he listed them as NM -- and except for the mc he may have had a case -- I don't believe they sold either.

I am looking to purchase a raw VF/NM book and it is very clean except for what looks like is the beginning of mc along 1 spot of the right edge. You can see that a small piece has actually started to split. Question is would that keep it out of that grade or can someone show me an example of a VF/NM book with that problem.

Thanks,

Steve

This is a question that should have been emailed to CGC

CAL :hi: