• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POST YOUR CHICAGO CON BOOKS HERE

160 posts in this topic

Does Verzyl set up at Chicago? I'm trying to think if there are any good sources for Golden Age that set up at SD, but not Chicago.

JV does not set up in chicago...

Good. At least one table won't be cherry-picked. (thumbs u

but his prices are plum-high.

Does Verzyl set up at Chicago? I'm trying to think if there are any good sources for Golden Age that set up at SD, but not Chicago.

I've found that if you're willing to spend about 8 hours negotiating, you only have to bend over slightly. :blush:

I've found that if you're willing to spend about 8 hours negotiating, you only have to bend over slightly. :blush:

1 hour negotiating and 7 hours chatting.

John is a whole lot of fun to chat with, if you have the time.

(thumbs u

Couldn't agree more. I enjoy our conversations every year in SD.

Thanks so much Billy-boy, it's good to be back (on my somewhat limited basis).

Hey Jimbo. Sure missed you in Chi-town brother. Hope to see you at PonsCon in the winter.

Hello everyone,

Having returned from my post-Chicago detour to the Deep South, moved house, celebrated my wife's birthday and prepared for my mother's visit to the US, I am now able to share pictures of my Chicago purchases. And nothing will ever be the same again. I'll start with the drek, but the last few are worth the wait. Maybe.

These first two came from a dealer called Gary, who was friendly on Preview Night but progressively grumpier as the days passed. Poor chap.

Archie32.jpg

Archie35.jpg

This one came from Motor City Comics, who was nice enough to take a 2.5ish Archie 40 in part-exchange:

Archie41.jpg

And a few minutes before buying the 41, I bought this from someone who would under no circumstances accept a book in trade:

Archie61.jpg

I have no memory of whence this one came, but that may be because I'm just so upset by the way Archie treats Betty:

Archie67.jpg

Corner Jughead shock pose? hm

More scans in a moment...

This one was thrown in as a freebie with any purchase of $735:

BnV7.jpg

And this one was just lying around in a half-off box marked "Humor" - it fills a gap though, and was a mere $17.50. It's chewed, but the insect/rodent that ate the bottom-left corner must be long-dead. Like this thread! :D And actually, the corner doesn't bother me nearly as much as Veronica's punctuation.

Laugh23.jpg

A much nicer Laugh from a smiling fellow named Gene:

Laugh38.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, that's funny.

Up next: the Peps! War covers even!

Take that, fascism! Thanks to 143ksk for this hand-me-down (well, sell-me-down):

Pep30.jpg

Wait a second; the torturer was going to brand the gorgeous blonde with a swastika? Why not just give her a hat like the man in the corner? Perhaps they were sold out. Compare and contrast the way they drew the German on this cover with the way they drew the Japanese. And yet Archie Comics today won't even do the stuff they were doing in 1960 - perhaps if we started asking for a Shield or Hangman TPB and got Archie Comics to look at those stories, the idea of Moose being unintelligent or Jughead being really hungry would no longer seem so offensive. hm

Well, someone must have written in about that normal-looking Nazi on the cover of #30, because here comes a grotesque, hypodermic-wielding maniac:

Why buy that "conserved" copy for $1500 when you could have this one instead?

Pep34.jpg

Being an Evil Syringe, it has TWO needles. And everyone hates needles. Again, beautiful woman being tortured - why not just take her to Pop's Chok'lit Shop(pe) for a sundae? Thanks again to 143ksk for that one!

This book used to belong to Xavier Logan - thanks! Before him, it apparently belonged to not only 143ksk but also an old-timey collector who wrote "Read" above stories he'd, er, read. Brilliant. Can anyone enlighten me further as to who that gentleman was and what became of him? I need to have a word about all the writing in my comic... :eek:

Pep38.jpg

And finally for today, one of those "you just never see 'em" numbers:

Pep47.jpg

Stupendous. There are a few more GA Peps, but that's the end of the WW2-related carnage.

Thanks for the clever and funny ( :baiting: r1970d) report! :applause:

Thanks for the clever and funny ( :baiting: r1970d) report! :applause:

My pleasure - it was great to meet so many people from the boards and discover that they were all nice in person, even the ones who weren't selling me books!

Of course, I did spend rather a lot of money :eek: but got so many nice books to show for it. Some of my favourites were post-1955 so I won't show them off here, but I came away with 80 Archies that had been on my wants list (and a few upgrades in addition to that), and most of them were in really nice shape. So yay!

:banana:

Now, does anyone have a spare Pep 25? :D

an old-timey collector who wrote "Read" above stories he'd, er, read. Brilliant. Can anyone enlighten me further as to who that gentleman was and what became of him? I need to have a word about all the writing in my comic... :eek:

Biljo White?