• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimmed MH value?

22 posts in this topic

Trimming is probably the worst kind of restoration as far as many people are concerned. To me, personally, the book would grade as poor, or 20% of good guide...to someone else, maybe extensive restoration, 25-30% of graded guide...but it's always going to be a hard sell (except for that great pedigree...I'd just make sure you want to keep it. A picture would help. Good luck, Dan! (thumbs u

I sure as hell wouldn't pay a MH premium for it. In fact I would probably pay somewhere around 75% of guide (depending on what guide is... the higher the price the lower %% I would pay). I might give $150 for a $200 guide trimmed, 9.0 MH.

Trimming is probably the worst kind of restoration as far as many people are concerned. To me, personally, the book would grade as poor, or 20% of good guide...to someone else, maybe extensive restoration, 25-30% of graded guide...but it's always going to be a hard sell (except for that great pedigree...I'd just make sure you want to keep it. A picture would help. Good luck, Dan! (thumbs u

Gotta agree with skypinkblu, hate trimming. A giant greasy green zit on the arse of the person who trimmed a Mile High pedigree book. On all 3 sides yet. Don't consider it restoration, I consider it destruction.

On the other hand, buy it if you love it.

I agree that 70% sounds high. The book is not easy to find (can't recall seeing another) and looks fantastic (obviously). But I agree that the trim is among the worst defects you can have. My fear is that the owner will want a MH premium on it.

My feeling is that you have to compare it to other grades and see which you'd rather have. For example, put this copy next to several other copies in various grades and pick one. I think I'd rather have this than a VG, but not a FN.

Is the book slabbed? If so, what is the grade?

Is the trimming obvious to the naked eye? I guess it would depend on how much was trimmed from the edges. Trimming of 1/64" would bother me much less than 1/8" from each edge. I am assuming that the entire book was trimmed and not just the cover overhang.

If it were my decision, it would depend on how well the trimming was done, how obvious it is to the naked eye, and how close the book still is to its original size.

I agree that it is a shame that a Mile High was trimmed. Sadly, many of them were color touched too.

I wouldn't pay 70% for a book trimmed on 3 sides. I doubt if I would go 50%. More like 30 - 45%. But that's just my opinion. Unless the book is very hard to find. I would wait and see if you can find a lower grade un restored book.

Even those values sound like standard resto rates, I'd quite confidently go lower. Particularly with a non-key book. 2c

wow, interesting delimna...

50% of guide, max, my opinion... trimming is the worst, but it is what it is (can "un" trim a book)

It was slabbed as a 9.0 (purple label obviously) - now cracked out, and I can't really say how much was trimmed - although all 3 sides are flat. That's the thing that really gets me. I have no idea why someone would do that to a book.

I'm considering a book that's the Mile High copy of a GA non-key. It's a 9.0, but has been trimmed on all 3 sides. Any ideas what this might be worth as a percentage of guide?

I'd pass...there's no way you'd get your money back on the book should you decide to sell it. Trimming is as bad as water damage in my opinion...

Jim

Is the book slabbed? If so, what is the grade?

Is the trimming obvious to the naked eye? I guess it would depend on how much was trimmed from the edges. Trimming of 1/64" would bother me much less than 1/8" from each edge. I am assuming that the entire book was trimmed and not just the cover overhang.

If it were my decision, it would depend on how well the trimming was done, how obvious it is to the naked eye, and how close the book still is to its original size.

I agree that it is a shame that a Mile High was trimmed. Sadly, many of them were color touched too.

Actually true that many Mile Highs were color touched? 5%, 10%, 15%? Or just a few keys? :(

"Many" was just an off-the-cuff comment on my part, based on the fact that I have seen some Mile Highs that have been color touched. It's probably a very small percentage of the Mile High collection overall.

I guess what I meant to say was that it's a shame that ANY of them have been color touched.

there's no way you'd get your money back on the book should you decide to sell it. Trimming is as bad as water damage in my opinion...

Jim

If it's a book you really want for yourself, get it,

but

if it's a book you plan at anytime in the future to sell/trade, recognize that Jim is right -

A few years ago I bought a All-American #65 "D" copy that was supposedly in NM+ condition. The seller stated there was no restoration. When I got the book I was very happy so to my chagrin when I submitted it to CGC last year for grading it came back in a purple holder with 3 sides of the book being trimmed and a apparent 9.4 grade. So I thought I got a great deal on this book instead I got ripped off! Unless you can spot trimming in a book only buy books which have been CGCed!