• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone has seriously lost it... CGC 6.5 = 9.9

11 posts in this topic

How did it get a 6.5 with those gross tape marks on the front cover. Very ugly book.

What is more irritatiing is the comments around the market and the use of the word investor and 10x - 20x guide return within a short period of time. Auction's like this do this industry a major disservice. sign-rantpost.gif

How did it get a 6.5 with those gross tape marks on the front cover. Very ugly book.

Just a guess not saying I agree with it. But I'm assuming since this book came with Wheaties that it was taped to a Wheaties box therefore 99% if not all of the surviving copies may have tape marks on them and CGC was leniant on this defect confused-smiley-013.gif Plus it is from the 40's and also gets a GA curve makepoint.gif

Just a guess not saying I agree with it. But I'm assuming since this book came with Wheaties that it was taped to a Wheaties box therefore 99% if not all of the surviving copies may have tape marks on them and CGC was leniant on this defect confused-smiley-013.gif Plus it is from the 40's and also gets a GA curve makepoint.gif

I agree the book isn't in FN+ shape. I've never heard that premiums were *taped* to cereal boxes? I've got a number of smaller Wheaties premiums from the '50s and none of them show any signs of taping... Regardless, the book in question is at best in VG or so. And depending on how/when the tape was applied, shouldn't this get either a Purple label or a Green label? Or is this one of those "well, you could remove the tape without reducing the structural integrity of the book, so it gets a Blue label" deals?

I used to own this very copy. This title was one of four that came taped to the sides of Wheaties boxes in 1946. Other titles were Flash Comics, Captain Marvel Adventures, and Whiz Comics. Since all copies had tape on them, what Overstreet suggests and what CGC in fact does is to grade them as if there were no tape (or tape residue) present. Most copies of these 4 titles when found have paper loss where someone was not careful in removing it from the box. Overstreet states that no copies above a 6.0 exist. This is a 1/2 grade higher than that.

Scott

Hmmm...interesting. But if Overstreet - and CGC - are viewing these as though they never had tape on them, why wouldn't there be copies above FN in existence? You're telling me that *every* copy still extant has some paper loss / damage incurred during removal from the cereal box? This is weird.

Oh, and I don't care what Overstreet and CGC say about this - the tape is ugly and mars the cover something fierce, and has to be taken into account when grading.

I agree that the tape is ugly but what is even uglier is the typical paper loss. Here is a copy of Flash Comics that I used to own. Each book was physically taped to the cereal boxes so you just aren't going to have an option here. Plus the paper used is the cheap, newspaper type with the non-glossy covers

311299-flash.jpg.affb29d8d798a227aa7cdc13b95d7d05.jpg