• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Shipping Gotten to High?

49 posts in this topic

Paying the shipping costs for single, inexpensive comics is getting rough. I need to buy more expensive comics to get a better comic-to-shipping cost ratio, or buy multiple comics from single sellers.

A few years ago it was excellent buying and selling comics online. Now with the cost of shipping its impossible to buy low priced comics. I live in Canada so buying a comic usually cost me anywhere from $6-9 in shipping. On ebay now it has been costing me as high as $18-23, possibly higher on CGC graded books. Its crazy, it has to be having a major effect on comic book sales.

Yes!

I've been trying to ship a box of comics to parlourguy up in Toronto for a while now... sucks having to try and get to places to get quotes that close right after I get off work especially considering I don't have a car at work...

I've gotten quotes from $40 at the PO to $140 at FedEx...

Whatever happened to the nice regular ground shipping that was like twenty bucks?

whet, how did you ship to Canada for $23?

Flat rate shirt box for domestic and international shipping.

(thumbs u

thanks! I'll give that a go!

That's how I ship 90% of my books. Flat rate box for $9.30 US, $23 CDN and $30 something everywhere else. If you double up the books you can fit about 60-64 comics in a flat rate box with added protection.

A few years ago it was excellent buying and selling comics online. Now with the cost of shipping its impossible to buy low priced comics. I live in Canada so buying a comic usually cost me anywhere from $6-9 in shipping. On ebay now it has been costing me as high as $18-23, possibly higher on CGC graded books. Its crazy, it has to be having a major effect on comic book sales.

It's the first thing I look at when searching EBay auctions, and the sellers that seem to be doing well are the ones offering "flat rate $X for 4-5 books, then $1 each after" kind of deals, along with lots of books.

I don't even think about bidding with a shipping profiteer.

The only problem is, that it doesn't seem as if the USPS is equipped to print First Class Packages online.

Therein lies the rub. For some of us (though not for me if I can manage to get there between 9 and 5 before my satelite P.O. closes) a trip to the post office is a 45-90 minute roundtrip adventure into hell, so, as a seller, I want what I can print out online and drop in a mailbox.

For expensive stuff I'll go to the post office if need be, but I probably wouldn't ship it that route anyway.

I use stamps when I send something to Canada First class, because driving to, and standing on line at the PO is no longer a smart option...but I'll only do it for the boards, and only for something rather inexpensive. You can no longer get INSURANCE with Flat Rate envelopes, and that is a problem. I don't believe you can with flat rate boxes, either, nor 1st class.

So, sadly, I ship priority out of the US, or not at all, unless I know the person, and the cost is not $9.00...

I think you can do First Class Package labels through EBay/Paypal, right?

Yes. You can do the domestic mail services that the USPS does not allow online labels for too. At the USPS site it's priority mail or better only.

Hi Bunky Brian, here,

My partner does all our shipping and the yes, fees oversees and Canada, have gone through the roof over the last 4 to 6 months. To the point where some buyers think we are gouging.

My personal pet peeve, is why do we need SO MANY friggin options when it comes to how you want to send the package. With confirmation, without, but with insurance, etc etc.

Done with my rant,

B

I plugged in a 2lb package, and here are the rates that it came back as (right around $8 as stated):

63485.jpg

But when you go first class you have to buy the box, two actually since I double box slabs.

Then you can't use the free tape because it's priority only.

I like using the free priority stuff to ship as then I can charge exact shipping without having to figure out any handling charge.

I eat the cost of the peanuts. :eek:

I like using the free priority stuff to ship as then I can charge exact shipping without having to figure out any handling charge.

lol Come on, you like it cuz it's easy - no way "handling" can cost almost $15 a package.

And I'm not talking an expensive slab or slabs, as that should go Priority, but a pack of raw books for less than $50, Sending that Priority for $23+ is insane.

I think you can do First Class Package labels through EBay/Paypal, right?

Yes, but not insurance....and that is if the person paid with Paypal. I've done it without them paying ...I just change the info for someone else, but it's a pain. You can also only do up to 4lbs and you have use a non priority box, they don't even let you reuse those for non priority...remind me, I was writing to the Post Master General about how stupid that is.

lol Come on, you like it cuz it's easy - no way "handling" can cost almost $15 a package.

And I'm not talking an expensive slab or slabs, as that should go Priority, but a pack of raw books for less than $50, Sending that Priority for $23+ is insane.

Vince, on HERE, I'd do that, but no longer on Ebay...first class takes way too long to Canada, and with the new feedback rules, it's just not worth the aggravation. Just remember you are limited in lbs for first class...

Yep, it definitely costs more to ship overseas...but the cost is the cost. Charity R Us I am not. Frankly, if an overseas customer wanted to complain, I'd just as soon not complete a transaction since it is something that I cannot control. The global economy: US versus other countries also plays a factor.

Right. While I hate to see anyone pay through the nose for shipping, I'm not going to subsidize overseas customers... especially since they are doing quite alright with the exchange rate.