• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dark Knight

123 posts in this topic

The "fingerprint on the reconstructed bullet" and the "cell phone sonar" were pretty ridiculous, but I think my biggest problem was the inclusion of Two-Face, as if one scarred maniac who hates Batman wasn't enough. The film dragged on at the end.

Still, it's a great movie and a hell of a ride. 4 out of 5 stars for me.

Yeah, the fact that a normal guy can do all the bat-stuff is fine, but all those details......[/qIt's 4/5 not 5/5.

Well then we agree. Now take the fight to those that think it's a 6/5

:makepoint:

The "fingerprint on the reconstructed bullet" and the "cell phone sonar" were pretty ridiculous
Both things were silly but no more so than any other superhero super science so I gave them a pass.

But you can't just have a dangerous character show up out of nowhere and expect me to believe that the Dark Knight is simply going to only react to him the whole time. The Batman I've read all these years would have taken the fight to the Joker not waited for him. The whole Gordon thing was poorly conceived too.

How can Joker get so many minions from Arkham without Batman noticing the inmates are missing and not thinking the Scarecrow is up to his tricks? How does Joker acquire a school bus, a trash truck and a semi? Exactly how long would it take to fill 24 drums with explosive liquid? Twice? Where does Joker get his explosives? How does he know how to use them? How far can an electronic detonator reach? How long does it take to set charges to blow up a whole building? Let's say those aren't problems then how much time passed between each scene? Meanwhile, how does Joker get around town? Where does he hole up? Where and when does Joker sleep?

You are right, the movie should have been 4 hours long so that we can see where the Joker sleeps, what he drives, and an include a back story with where he learned everything he knows.

It is easier to believe Peter Parker shoots webbing from his wrist than the Joker can take a school bus from a yard without notice in post 9-11 America.

Money can buy just about anything. A school bus certainly wouldn't be a problem.

It is easier to believe Peter Parker shoots webbing from his wrist than the Joker can take a school bus from a yard without notice in post 9-11 America.

Money can buy just about anything. A school bus certainly wouldn't be a problem.

There is a school bus depot a few blocks away from my place. Let's just say that anyone that can open a door and turn a key can take one at any time.

There is a school bus depot a few blocks away from my place. Let's just say that anyone that can open a door and turn a key can take one at any time.

And don't forget, this is Gotham we are talking about here. It is so corrupt that the Joker could easily get his hands on one.

I think we are measuring the Joker by normal, human, homosapien standards. We humanize him when he lives outside the boundaries of humanity. A little confidence goes a long way into achieving what someone wants. It tips the scales of luck so to speak because you have already made your mind up that it's going to happen. Now if you live outside the borders of normal humanity the possibities are endless because you have not set any limits for yourself.

It's the principle that many religions and secular inspirational speakers try to get across. You can form your own destiny.

Most of society rests on the principle that someone likely would not do *that*.

It's only when someone who would do *that* comes along that we are caught by surprise.

the Joker is a *do that* type of person. No thinking, no consequences....just does it. The hardest person to kill would be the type of person who is ready to die. The hardest person to catch is the one who does not mind getting caught. For the Joker it was all a game so he had an advantage.

Using this logic, I can see the Joker pulling off almost anything.

How many times do you see a running vehicle with nobody in it?

How many people leaves keys in vehicles and homes unlocked? Many.

How many people are gullible and fall for someone stronger willed? Lots.

Personally I don't see as many problems with the story as agro does. I can see the Joker pulling stuff off that many would not dream possible because "luck" is on his side.

2c

I just thought it was a fun "make believe/suspend belief" kind of entertainment (shrug)

My wife went to see it with me the other day, which was a big deal as we haven't seen a movie together in the theater since college (9 years ago). Maybe she wanted to see it b/c I wanted to see it so much. I don't know. All I do know is that I thought it was great. Not the "best movie ever made" (um...that would be Highlander) but my favorite super hero movie. And my wife absolutely loved it and thought it was awesome and she hates everything.

Pure entertainment and for once I didn't gripe about how much it cost to go to the movies.

How can Joker get so many minions from Arkham without Batman noticing the inmates are missing and not thinking the Scarecrow is up to his tricks? How does Joker acquire a school bus, a trash truck and a semi? Exactly how long would it take to fill 24 drums with explosive liquid? Twice? Where does Joker get his explosives? How does he know how to use them? How far can an electronic detonator reach? How long does it take to set charges to blow up a whole building? Let's say those aren't problems then how much time passed between each scene? Meanwhile, how does Joker get around town? Where does he hole up? Where and when does Joker sleep?

im sorry, but this part is just absolutely ridiculous. with these kind of expectations, no movie could EVER be any good.

Feel free to point out the flaws in Iron Man then. Even the flying suit is self-consistent within their own sci-fi reality. But Joker being everywhere and anywhere? Not buying it. It's just Nolan bending over backwards to make him a force of nature at the expense of logistics.

I already named several films that were good with those expectations met. A more clever -script could have sorted some of these issues. Dark Knight is all substance with no depth.

The pacing and framing in Dark Knight is seriously flawed. When your story takes place in a city that doesn't really exist and your character dresses like a bat it is a large part of the film-maker's job to help the audience suspend disbelief.

And the fact that they had to hit us over the head repeatedly with the duality message instead of just letting it flow out naturally from the film itself flattened the picture. Sure it was all gosh-wow Biff Bam Pow but this film will not survive future viewing without scrutiny.

I understand it hurts when I say this but Dark Knight just isn't as great as everyone thinks it is.

That is your OPINION of course. Nothing more. Doesn't hold any more water than the next guy saying he thinks its a fantastic movie. Who cares if lots and lots of people think its a great movie. Why you gotta browbeat everybody like we're stupid if we think its a great movie?

I think we are measuring the Joker by normal, human, homosapien standards. We humanize him when he lives outside the boundaries of humanity. A little confidence goes a long way into achieving what someone wants. It tips the scales of luck so to speak because you have already made your mind up that it's going to happen. Now if you live outside the borders of normal humanity the possibities are endless because you have not set any limits for yourself.

It's the principle that many religions and secular inspirational speakers try to get across. You can form your own destiny.

Most of society rests on the principle that someone likely would not do *that*.

It's only when someone who would do *that* comes along that we are caught by surprise.

the Joker is a *do that* type of person. No thinking, no consequences....just does it. The hardest person to kill would be the type of person who is ready to die. The hardest person to catch is the one who does not mind getting caught. For the Joker it was all a game so he had an advantage.

Using this logic, I can see the Joker pulling off almost anything.

How many times do you see a running vehicle with nobody in it?

How many people leaves keys in vehicles and homes unlocked? Many.

How many people are gullible and fall for someone stronger willed? Lots.

Personally I don't see as many problems with the story as agro does. I can see the Joker pulling stuff off that many would not dream possible because "luck" is on his side.

2c

Amen (worship)

I was happy to ignore the planning details and just strap in for the ride. As long as the characters behave 'in character' and act rationally within that context I'm pretty happy. I think of movies like Flight Plan with Jodie Foster where the kidnapper planned to kidnap her son from the seat beside her, on a plane, surrounded by witnesses and expect the crime to go unnoticed. I hated that movie with a capital ha. I guess it all boils down to what each of us, as viewers, can believe.

As far as Star Wars, entertaining but not that well written or believable. And Titanic, yech.

I think it was powerful and moving. It was dark and made me think twice about a lot of things. If it was 100% real then it couldn't be a comic book movie. It had it's roots in reality and left just enough to the imagination to make it wildly entertaining.

I think it was genius. If they went with 3 hours plus of footage it may have been able to fill in the holes and that was my only complaint with the movie. Just a tad rushed...it didn't take the time to breathe. I will definitely be seeing it again.

R.

I agree 100% with just about everything in this post. A brilliant movie. :thumbsup:

im sorry, but this part is just absolutely ridiculous. with these kind of expectations, no movie could EVER be any good.

Feel free to point out the flaws in Iron Man then. Even the flying suit is self-consistent within their own sci-fi reality. But Joker being everywhere and anywhere? Not buying it. It's just Nolan bending over backwards to make him a force of nature at the expense of logistics.

I already named several films that were good with those expectations met. A more clever -script could have sorted some of these issues. Dark Knight is all substance with no depth.

The pacing and framing in Dark Knight is seriously flawed. When your story takes place in a city that doesn't really exist and your character dresses like a bat it is a large part of the film-maker's job to help the audience suspend disbelief.

And the fact that they had to hit us over the head repeatedly with the duality message instead of just letting it flow out naturally from the film itself flattened the picture. Sure it was all gosh-wow Biff Bam Pow but this film will not survive future viewing without scrutiny.

I understand it hurts when I say this but Dark Knight just isn't as great as everyone thinks it is.

That is your OPINION of course. Nothing more. Doesn't hold any more water than the next guy saying he thinks its a fantastic movie. Who cares if lots and lots of people think its a great movie. Why you gotta browbeat everybody like we're stupid if we think its a great movie?

I didn't say anywhere anyone was stupid. I just think people are a little too willing to love a film that's good but not great. Of COURSE it's my opinion. And really, the only brow-beating going on is from the mass of people who descend to oppose anyone with the opinion that it ISN'T "the greatest movie EVAR!!1!". Not necessarily anyone on this board in particular but those folks are out there.

Dark Knight was not Raiders of the Lost Ark. it was not Jaws. it was not The Sting. Heck, it's was hardly even close to Saving Private Ryan or Platoon. Not Apocalypse Now. Not Clockwork Orange. Not even 2001. There are so many more better films it's kinda funny really. Aliens? Way better. Terminator? Also better. T2? Way better and it even had noticeable flaws.