• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dark Knight

123 posts in this topic

The big travesty with Saving Private Ryan was that it lost out in the best picture category to Shakespeare In Love! :frustrated:

The big travesty with Saving Private Ryan was that it lost out in the best picture category to Shakespeare In Love! :frustrated:

But Gwyneth Paltrow was so perky...if you get my drift and I think you do, Smokey.

:cloud9:

But Gwyneth Paltrow was so perky...if you get my drift and I think you do, Smokey.

Gwyneth needs a hamburger and a box of donuts IMO

And she needs to quit giving her kids names like...Apple ?!?!

I suppose in Hollywood logic that it's a little better than moon unit, don't you think?

I suppose in Hollywood logic that it's a little better than moon unit, don't you think?

It is a little better. But her husband is a rock-n-roll (lite) guy, so I guess anything goes.

So true.

The other travesty of Ryan, was Spielberg's clumsy attempt to make Upham look heroic at the end of the film. I would have been so much more satisfied if he had been killed by the german he released and allowed to kill half his unit. Biggest film coward of all time.

It is a little better. But her husband is a rock-n-roll (lite) guy, so I guess anything goes.

Rock-n-roll. What a sickening disease that is destroying out young and clouding their minds! What's next...naming kids after fictional super hero characters?

Royontheguitar.jpg

So true.

The other travesty of Ryan, was Spielberg's clumsy attempt to make Upham look heroic at the end of the film. I would have been so much more satisfied if he had been killed by the german he released and allowed to kill half his unit. Biggest film coward of all time.

I didn't think Spielberg was trying to make him look heroic. Upham seemed more like a guy who had snapped and gone over the edge. A double tragedy in that he provided the means, with good intentions, for a comrades death and he lost himself as a result.

Royontheguitar.jpg

:o We should play! I have one of those Strat things too. But I'm partial to the Les Paul myself.

I went to Jim's (cgcworld) home a couple of weeks ago and played his Les Paul. 1st one I've played in years. Man I am in love and am thinking about picking one up again...

We'll jam some time.

:gossip: Shakespeare in Love was a better movie.

:gossip: Shakespeare in Love was a better movie.

According to the Academy voters.

I just saw DKR again this weekend. It was just as I had remembered it. Terrific action and unbridled lunacy. I think the parts that agro spoke about earlier did jump out a bit more at me...the Joker did seem to get a lot done in a very short period of time...but to me it was no different than a comic. You need it for the fantasy to take over...it was no less believeable than Batman "gliding" in through windows.

Over all my final thought was that the last ten minutes with Dent were over done. I walked out second time around just after the Joker was caught and the movie felt complete. I can see why they would need it though as an into to the sequel with a change in Batman's status in gotham as well as tying up The Joker's plan...Ijust felt it a bit anti climactic.

Over all, I echo the sentiments of most...Iron Man one day and Batman the next...depending on my mood.

R.

I just saw DKR again this weekend. It was just as I had remembered it. Terrific action and unbridled lunacy. I think the parts that agro spoke about earlier did jump out a bit more at me...the Joker did seem to get a lot done in a very short period of time...but to me it was no different than a comic. You need it for the fantasy to take over...it was no less believeable than Batman "gliding" in through windows.

Over all my final thought was that the last ten minutes with Dent were over done. I walked out second time around just after the Joker was caught and the movie felt complete. I can see why they would need it though as an into to the sequel with a change in Batman's status in gotham as well as tying up The Joker's plan...Ijust felt it a bit anti climactic.

Over all, I echo the sentiments of most...Iron Man one day and Batman the next...depending on my mood.

R.

To say that the final speech given by Batman/Gordon was anti climatic is a little harsh. I loved it and thought it was the best writing in the whole movie. ".....because he is the hero we deserve, but not the hero we need right now." I got chills up my spine. "Sometimes people deserve more than the truth. Sometimes people deserve their faith to be rewarded." That was the line that hit me the hardest. A great ending IMO. Just my 2c Timely collectors! Geesh! :baiting::makepoint:

I thought the ending gave everyone great insight into who batman is and how he differs from other superheroes. Batman is willing to become the martyr for his city in order for no one else to have to feel the pain he once did as a child. Superman would never have to take a hit like that, nor would anyone ask him to.

It doesn't matter whether batman was right or wrong in putting on the mask. All that matters is that he is willing to see it through until the end, no matter the personal cost.

A question:

Would you rather have seen DK with Dent going out the way he did, or have a movie that was 20 minutes shorter, but set Dent up to be Two-Face for Batman III?

My preference would be to see Two-Face in Batman III. I think Two-Face got a bit shortchanged in this movie. (My two-cents worth.)