• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boys do read!

22 posts in this topic

That's true, libraries and schools are kind of becoming the ambassador for comics in a way.

Except that when a kid actually wants to...y'know...BUY a comic book these days, he or she generally needs to find a comic book store, and then be driven there by his parents, etc., etc.

I know there's no going back, but it sure was one helluva lot easier to buy comics when they were also sold at the same places where my mom stopped for milk, and where my dad bought his smokes. My parents would have told me to get lost if I'd have asked them to make a special trip for me to buy comics at some hole-in-the-wall store in a strip mall halfway across town, with all sorts of weird looking posters on the walls, and some even weirder looking people inside of it...

As a kid growing up on a farm, I'll tell ya, if a kid wants to buy comics, he'll find a way! :insane:

A kid these days knows how to Google, though. I'm sure he could use a mail order system or eBay (after talking to his parents about using his allowance, of course.)

That's true, libraries and schools are kind of becoming the ambassador for comics in a way.

Except that when a kid actually wants to...y'know...BUY a comic book these days, he or she generally needs to find a comic book store, and then be driven there by his parents, etc., etc.

I know there's no going back, but it sure was one helluva lot easier to buy comics when they were also sold at the same places where my mom stopped for milk, and where my dad bought his smokes. My parents would have told me to get lost if I'd have asked them to make a special trip for me to buy comics at some hole-in-the-wall store in a strip mall halfway across town, with all sorts of weird looking posters on the walls, and some even weirder looking people inside of it...

As a kid growing up on a farm, I'll tell ya, if a kid wants to buy comics, he'll find a way! :insane:

A kid these days knows how to Google, though. I'm sure he could use a mail order system or eBay (after talking to his parents about using his allowance, of course.)

My first batch of comics when I was a kid was a handful of Blackhawks and other books from Mile High Comics found in a 1-inch ad in a comic book. Nowadays a kid might be able to use the intraweb thingy to find books if they wanted some.