• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World record price in the making? (post-1950 Disney comics)

19 posts in this topic

HOW ON EARTH can 9.4 have that crease where the thumb goes on the right edge! 893frustrated.gif

it is a great book though....

High grade Barks books have a tendency to cloud men's minds. Perhaps the "crease" is a flaw of the image and not the book?

HOW ON EARTH can 9.4 have that crease where the thumb goes on the right edge! 893frustrated.gif

it is a great book though....

High grade Barks books have a tendency to cloud men's minds. Perhaps the "crease" is a flaw of the image and not the book?

That looks too regular to be a crease to me. If it were a crease, I'd expect it to be book length, since it's ruler straight. Most edge creases like that that run parallel to the edge of the book usually have a half moon shape as the edges of the crease run off the sides. Then again, stranger defects are out there so who knows. Maybe it's some bizarro heavy object crease or something- someone folded the book back while holding a one inch square paperweight on the cover...

As a huge Barks fan, I'm drooling over this one (well, okay, not directly over it, but to the side)... I have a copy of FC 386 in VG-/VG and it's one of the prizes of my collection.

I will say this: other copies I've seen of FC 386 seem to really vary in terms of condition, even when the appearance is pretty similar.

Did anyone see the 'file copy' of FC 386 that went up for sale a couple of years ago? It was from Barks' personal collection, and looked to be around VF+ at least. It had an official-looking red stamp at the bottom of the front cover that read "This comic book is the personal property of Carl Barks. Anyone else possessing it is a thief," or words to that effect. Very cool...I think it only sold for $1,500 or so, tho. I'd still rather have the Barks file copy than this NM 9.4 ish.

garthgantu,

I always found that file copy very puzzling (as far as I remember, it sold for

around $2,300). It was a beautiful book, but I did not bid on it because I was

uncertain about the authenticity of the stamp. A few months before it was

listed, the same seller sold a high grade FC 189 with the same stamp. That

copy was clearly different from the copy that is depicted in Michael Barrier's

book about Barks (on page 101). I asked two experts and long time friends of

Barks about these copies (referring them to the scan on eBay) and they very as

perplexed and surprised as I was. One of them pointed out that Barks was by

no means a comics collector and for him to have had any high grade file copies

or two copies of the same book was hard to imagine (the copy of FC 189 in

Barrier's book is taped, creased and looks really beat up).

I really don't want to get myself in trouble and emphasize that I am not implying

anything about the seller: I am only saying that those file copies are a mystery

to me as they are to some of the most highly respected Barks experts. If

someone has an explanation, I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Now you've piqued my curiosity too... Anyone else have info on this?

Hkp, do you know if the 'file copy' of FC 386 with the alleged Barks stamp was ever slabbed? If so, what grade did it receive?

There was some talk that a name and address stamp was purchased from the estate and was used to stamp high grade copies so to pass off these books as file copies. I believe that the eBay seller was barksducksuo who has since been NARU'd. However, it is believed that tdcomixncardz may be the same seller. Of course, they are infamous for their involvement in certain CGG books! insane.gif

There was some talk that a name and address stamp was purchased from the estate and was used to stamp high grade copies so to pass off these books as file copies. I believe that the eBay seller was barksducksuo who has since been NARU'd. However, it is believed that tdcomixncardz may be the same seller. Of course, they are infamous for their involvement in certain CGG books! insane.gif

Do either of these sellers have a retail outlet in Medford, OR? I was in a LCS there a couple summers ago and the proprietor was inferring that he knew Barks personally. (Barks lived near Grants Pass, about 40 mi. from Medford.)

...and certain known individuals (read: felons) have been known to get a stamp made that says 'File Copy" and create their own.

Man, that's gutsy! If your stamp isn't convincing, you've just cost yourself a lot of $. I think I'll steer clear of unslabbed 'file copies' for awhile...

I bought a few books from barksducksuo prior to him being NARU'ed on ebay. I was pleased with my first two purchases from him; but then he flaked out on our next two deals by widely overgrading the books and failing to mention the tanning on the book. The seller barksducksuo provided an address in Eugene, OR.

bhampel

Sorry to hear that. I lost $1,800 to a seller from Eugene, Oregon, in early 2001 (my only bad eBay transaction so far). That seller was suspended between my payment and my receiving the book. It was not barksducksuo but I remember from his feedback that he sold comics and baseball cards.