• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to Theo Holstein?
1 1

173 posts in this topic

Theo is alive and well, is buying illustration and pulp paintings for his personal collection.

Dwight

And still trying to sell the Superman #1 Larson with no back cover for $100,000?

presumably ;)

:bump:

Did this Larson copy of Sups #1 ever sell?

I wonder why Theo would sell Supes #1 when according to his article, it's the comic book equivalent of the Hognus Wagner card, the ultimate, ultimate comic book, and the most undervalued comic book in existence.

Maybe he has another copy. (shrug)

Theo is alive and well, is buying illustration and pulp paintings for his personal collection.

Dwight

And still trying to sell the Superman #1 Larson with no back cover for $100,000?

presumably ;)

:bump:

Did this Larson copy of Sups #1 ever sell?

I wonder why Theo would sell Supes #1 when according to his article, it's the comic book equivalent of the Hognus Wagner card, the ultimate, ultimate comic book, and the most undervalued comic book in existence.

It's called hyping a book to sell it

Theo sold superman thru comic link after buying it for spec thru ha and made a tidy profit on that one it is not a collection copy of his due to the low grade of 5.0

Edited by Mmehdy

Theo sold superman thru comic link after buying it for spec thru ha and made a tidy profit on that one it is not a collection copy of his due to the low grade of 5.0
mitch, don't you mean .5 ? it was missing the back cover, can't grade higher than poor, can it (shrug)

or maybe a "qualified" 5.0 hm

Look on comic link the book sold for 121k you are right gator he sold that thru cc auction and he sold the one on comic link the 5.0 also neither are his collection books

Edited by Mmehdy

mitch, don't you mean .5 ? it was missing the back cover, can't grade higher than poor, can it (shrug)

or maybe a "qualified" 5.0 hm

Well, it looks like all of the naysayers who were harping on Harley for calling his Pep #22 a VG+ was dead wrong. That one was missing just the front logo, whereas this copy apparently missing the entire back page was graded even higher by CGC.

Wow, that is a cool antique.

And here's an interesting negotiating technique...

Theo Holstein... said he is trying to gather investors to make a $3 million bid [...] Holstein said he wouldn't be surprised if the machine ultimately sold for $10 million or more.

hm Yes, this is the guy that wrote those Barks painting descriptions all right. lol

You beat me to it. This clown is the worst kind of collector in my opinion... one who wants all the toys locked up so no one can see them. I'm a big fan of vintage arcade machines and I'm thrilled that something like this can be viewed by the public.

I know what you mean... its kind of a bizarre quote. Are you trying to buy it, or inflate the price? the two don't work so well together. Unless he's just trying to cost copperfield a couple mil and has no pretensions on actually buying it

I know this is unrelated to comics, but it looks like he is now after a talking fortune telling machine.

He is mentioned and quoted a few times starting around the middle of the article.

hm

http://news.yahoo.com/rare-discovered-amid-towns-old-west-kitsch-082106931.html

:preach: That's where the future is for comic speculators, m'boy! :grin:

You beat me to it. This clown is the worst kind of collector in my opinion... one who wants all the toys locked up so no one can see them. I'm a big fan of vintage arcade machines and I'm thrilled that something like this can be viewed by the public.

well, I don't begrudge him that so much... isn't that what all of us private collectors except the few like geppi that displays things do?

Its great that it can be viewed by the public but at some level it almost doesn't make sense to have it in public hands. I can't see it being cared for the way it needs to be cared for in public hands. more likely that some teen would look at it past the ropes and leave his chewing gum on it or carve "I love Amy" on the side. It seemed from the article like the body that owns this really doesn't have the resources for upkeep and security and in fact could instead really use the money that it might garner.

I doubt that they will let people walk up and put money into it. I suspect that they'll demonstrate the machine for visitors.

The difference between an arcade machine and a comic book is that the latter (outside of Geppi's place) has no place to see them in public. There are places that preserve and show vintage arcade machines (such as the wonderful Musee Mechanique in San Francisco). This story brought this town to my attention, and now I'm very curious and would like to visit.

Wow, that is a cool antique.

And here's an interesting negotiating technique...

Theo Holstein... said he is trying to gather investors to make a $3 million bid [...] Holstein said he wouldn't be surprised if the machine ultimately sold for $10 million or more.

hm Yes, this is the guy that wrote those Barks painting descriptions all right. lol

Cliff notes:

Theo quote 1: We'd like to offer you $3M.

Theo quote 2: It might sell for $10M later.

Cliff notes:

I've heard that described as "Wolverining the Nest".

Basically you give a pie-in-the-sky valuation where no one could possibly meet that bid, they then try to sell it for a price somewhere near that, and later after getting no interest at all, you are able to scoop in and pick it up for a nice discount off what you offered (or at the worst your offer).

Cliff notes:

I've heard that described as "Wolverining the Nest".

Basically you give a pie-in-the-sky valuation where no one could possibly meet that bid, they then try to sell it for a price somewhere near that, and later after getting no interest at all, you are able to scoop in and pick it up for a nice discount off what you offered (or at the worst your offer).

Some people just call it a wicked sense of humor.

well, I don't begrudge him that so much... isn't that what all of us private collectors except the few like geppi that displays things do?

Its great that it can be viewed by the public but at some level it almost doesn't make sense to have it in public hands. I can't see it being cared for the way it needs to be cared for in public hands. more likely that some teen would look at it past the ropes and leave his chewing gum on it or carve "I love Amy" on the side. It seemed from the article like the body that owns this really doesn't have the resources for upkeep and security and in fact could instead really use the money that it might garner.

Theo seems to agree, however I cringe at the idea that an item should be hidden from the public and put into private hands for our own good.

Theo Holstein, a California collector and renovator of such machines, said he thinks the Gypsy is wasted in Virginia City and should be placed in a private collection for proper care. He said he is trying to gather investors to make a $3 million bid that would top Copperfield's offer.

"They don't have any idea what they have. It's like they have the world's best diamond and they just pulled it out of their mineshaft," Holstein said. "It's good that it's there and it survived, but now it really needs to be part of the world."

Just info, Theo and David Copperfield have the two best co-op collections in the world for rarest of the rare machines. David's collection is bigger and probably better but each has machines the other wants and have been friendly over the years.

Both have been collectors for a very long time. Theo started over 30 years ago when co-op was cheap. Both have probably made millions by beating the crowd, getting them cheap. Still they have been known to drop 100K up at heartbeat for a good piece. It is a different kind of world, and different breed of collector. I have been luckly to visit a number of collectors houses with theo, and have seen some great pieces over the years. I do not collect nor own any currently. If David offers two, then it is worth 5 million, if theo offers 3 then its worth 7-10, these guys are the two sharpest guys in the biz.

Edited by Mmehdy