• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000 AD

22 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if there's any collectibility to this UK title and what I might expect to pay for issues, particularly the first few? I'd like to put a run together, especially of the Grant Morrison and Alan Moore issues.

I grew up with 2000AD :cloud9:

I'm about to go home, but I couldn't resist quickly replying to your post!

Prog #1 can be picked up in VG (without the free gift) for about £50 on ebay. Same for prog #2 (first Judge Dredd).

In F/VF with free gifts included you're looking at £250-£350.

Grades are generally low due to the very poor paper quality, free gifts sellotaped to (and torn off) covers, and the less 'condition conscious' British comic buyer!

Most of progs 10-100 can be picked up for £1-£2. Exceptions are 71-72 and 77-78 due to their 'banned' unreprintable status. They go for £10-£20.

Gotta go! Chat later! :grin:

Good info - thanks!

As far as quality and popularity goes, how does Warrior compare to 2000AD?

I didn't pick up Warrior, so can't comment. Seems they can be found fairly cheap considering that they have the first appearances of Moore's Miracleman and V for Vendetta.

Here's one of my prog 2's. Right edge cropped as 2000AD's are too wide for my scanner:

prog2.jpg

Pretty lame cover artwork really! They get A LOT better as the series progresses :grin:

By the way, if you happen across a prog 1208 (published as recently as August 2000) hold onto it. There was some sort of problem (some say a flood, some say poor distribution) causing it to be extremely rare. Sells for £20 or so.

Good info - thanks!

I didn't pick up Warrior, so can't comment. Seems they can be found fairly cheap considering that they have the first appearances of Moore's Miracleman and V for Vendetta.

Here's one of my prog 2's. Right edge cropped as 2000AD's are too wide for my scanner:

prog2.jpg

Pretty lame cover artwork really! They get A LOT better as the series progresses :grin:

By the way, if you happen across a prog 1208 (published as recently as August 2000) hold onto it. There was some sort of problem (some say a flood, some say poor distribution) causing it to be extremely rare. Sells for £20 or so.

Nice book. There's a decent copy up on the bay now with the original stickers. Wish I had the dough for it now. :( I'll have to keep an eye out for the rare one as well. The copy up for sale now seems a bit pricey.

I grew up with 2000AD too - bought it as a child from 1979 to 1983, then collected from 1985 to about 1994! Don't really read it now - but was blessed to be 8-10 years old during its classic period 1980-1982.

I have a high grade collection of issues from Prog 50 to 300.

Here's my Prog 61

2000AD61.jpg

Good info - thanks!

I've noticed that Warrior copies get very little attention. Despite the lack of demand, I would not write them off. There are some important stories in Warrior and they are selling for so little right now, that you'd be crazy not to pick them up if you get the chance.

Good info - thanks!

I've noticed that Warrior copies get very little attention. Despite the lack of demand, I would not write them off. There are some important stories in Warrior and they are selling for so little right now, that you'd be crazy not to pick them up if you get the chance.

Agree Warrior is very important and as such under-rated - after all, it had the 1st appearances of Miracleman and V... but it's actually very common still - and the editor / publisher Dez Skinn still sells as new copies from his stock pile.

What's definitely hard to get is

a) copies above VF

b) some of the later issues

c) the Comics International fanzine flip-book issue

d) full-runs - go for $200

Anyone with any copies to show off?

yeah, the warriors seem to sell for less than cover price of what a new magazine would sell for and that's full retail from the supplier

they must have printed a gadjillion of them like the Warren stockpiles

I'd be tempted to pick up a run or five, but our currency exchange situation and the likely huge shipping cost from the U.K. make me think twice. maybe i'll be in London again at some point again, it's one of my wife's favorite cities, just so friggin expensive. can't wait to do it with a child who isn't in a stroller!

I have the first 10 volumes of the complete case files of Judge Dredd. They are each one full year of 2000AD dredd stories in a phone book size trade and in order. The best reading ever for me. UK comic fan even though I don't collect the programs. I might get into it though.

Check this out: ebay prog 1 listing

6ab2_1.JPG

DO NOT BUY. That is NOT the original space spinner. It looks nothing like it in fact. What a rip off.

I often see tatty old prog 1's with fake space spinners included. Adding the space spinner takes the price of a VG/F from £50 to £250 so it's not hard to see why.