• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TO ALL THE POMMIE COLLECTORS OUT THERE.......

9 posts in this topic

HEY ALL, just reading alot of the recent posts,i note theres many new forum members from the UK,

welcome aboard to all the poms (just joking), maybe i should say brits

do any of you guys know what happened to duncan mcalpine and paul sassenie (?spelling)- is staeside comics still in business?

i used to enjoy their market reports in the overstreet update in the early 90/s- they seemed to sell aton of silver and many golden age keys also

also, good luck in the rugby final, i hope u beat us (im an aussie) as im sick to death of all the endless media [!@#%^&^] we will have to endure if the wallabies win

Hello there drdonald. Paul Sassienie (I think that's the correct spelling) has never been away - Comic Biz was up and running before Stateside went into meltdown (around the mid-nineties). Duncan was working with John Skoulides at Comicana as co-boss. He's since departed, about a year or so ago, for a career in television.

I did see Dunc at a show where he was shooting a documentary, cameraman in tow. I never saw said program, nor have I seen or heard him on any medium since. Anyone care to fill in the blanks?

Duncan did host a T.V. show about comics on a Cable channel a few years ago. It was called Comicana. It was substandard, I'm afraid, with zero production values. It also provided no context or accessibility for the uninitiated. But then I've never seen a good show about comics on telly, and I doubt I ever will.

As for the rugby, thanks for the sentiment and I hope we win but the England team do play boringly - where are the tries?? It's all about the pack, a dour defence and J. Wilkinson. I shouldn't complain (I don't want to sound like a whingeing Pom, after all!) 27_laughing.gif

also, good luck in the rugby final, i hope u beat us (im an aussie) as im sick to death of all the endless media [!@#%^&^] we will have to endure if the wallabies win

You obviously aren't a real aussie if you are hoping the poms will win.

No offence guys but I hope the wallabies kick your arse (and yes I will be there win lose or draw and I am sitting with two englishmen).

goldust- thanx for the info

ive got to agree, the english rugby team isnt always exciting (like the team of the late 80's with capt dean richards) but they are very effective, and they win games and thats what counts in professional sports right?

mushroom- how many "real aussies" bash the wallabies when they are down and not doing so well-like earlier in the year, then jump on the bandwagon when they are winning? thats "real aussies" for you- classic aussie tall poppy syndrome

goldust- thanx for the info

ive got to agree, the english rugby team isnt always exciting (like the team of the late 80's with capt dean richards) but they are very effective, and they win games and thats what counts in professional sports right?

mushroom- how many "real aussies" bash the wallabies when they are down and not doing so well-like earlier in the year, then jump on the bandwagon when they are winning? thats "real aussies" for you- classic aussie tall poppy syndrome

That did sound harsh. The way they beat the French showed their ingenuity, at least - they didn't bother with a running game due to the wet weather and soggy turf, which made holding onto the ball very difficult for both sides. They also consistently applied pressure and wore the French down, especially after the first ten minutes or so, which were a free for all. I shouldn't forget that on their last visit to the Southern hemisphere the England team did match whoever they played try for try. I just wished they'd scored one on this occasion. Ah well..............

Duncan is actually working in television in varying capacities. He has written and produced a number of shows, including 'The UK's Worst Driver' (I think that was its title) and some cookery related nonsense!!!!

John Skoulides took full control at Comicana after Duncan's departure and still provides a vast back catalogue of Silver/Bronze stuff, including tons of CGCs.

Paul has been running ComicBiz for years now and appears to be doing pretty well out of all of it.

Well, I know Duncan's Ebay ID is: dream_director

watch them pictures though, they don't always show the book in the best light, and he charges for paypal shocked.gif

How did I know that as soon as the title of this thread included the word POMME, then it would turn to Ruggers! What a game on Sunday. England champs next week 893crossfingers-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif893applaud-thumb.gif