• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lou Fine Fans

14 posts in this topic

I love the old Fox comics with Lou Fine covers. Fortunately I have the first 8 Mystery Men (-#7), a bunch of Wonderworlds and nearly complete Science. Only have 1 issue of Fantastic and no Weirds. Also have many issues of Hit. What I'd really like to get now are more issues of Crack and Smash with interior stories of the Black Condor and The Ray by Fine.

mysterymen8.jpg

Oden your right maybe not one of his best, but they were all GREAT! I don't think he ever did a bad cover and his inside work was just as amazing! Let's not forget though , Will Eisner played a part in alot of those covers also. That cover is a stand out for the horses. Gil Kane ( a big Lou Fine fan) used to say" Nobody drew horses like Lou Fine did." I met George Tuska about 2 years ago. We were talking about the golden age of comics and people such as Charles Sultan, Bob Powell, etc. When I mentioned Lou Fine, George smiled and said " Louie was the best with the brush." He worked along side of him back in his Victor Fox days. I don't think there will ever be another like him. Even though there's been a few that I would rate up there such as Neil Addams and Alex Ross for today.

I have to agree with you about Crandell. Check out his work with Warren Publishing such as Creepy and Eerie Comics. And Jack Cole I LOVE him! DC's Plastic Man Archives are a MUST READ! If you guys get a chance try to get a hold of Jack Cole and Plastic Man by Art Spiegelman and Chip Kidd. The book comes with a plastic cover. It came out a few years back, but it still should be available for anyone who dosen't have it. Great artist, but a sad and tragic story. Who could ever forget Cole's masterpiece cover Silver Streak # 6?

Just got back to these boards since I had to reload my computer and had forgotten my (impossible to remember) password. Had to come up with a new account name which as you can tell, indicates that I am a big fan of Lou Fine's work.

Fortunately for me, I was able to acquire some of his early Fox books along with a few of his Quality books. Managed to put together a run of MM #1-#11 and most of the run from WW #3-#13 back in the mid-90's when I thought they were already at ridiculous prices. Last Lou Fine book which I was able to acquire was Jumbo #11 which is another beautiful Fine cover. Won't be able to acquire anymore since prices with CGC in place have basicaly putten everything out of my price range.

IMO, Lou Fine is probably one of the first true superstars in the comic book industry.