• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #104 - HIGH GRADE!!! Check it out

25 posts in this topic

Really? Looks too good to be true. I see a crease, nothing major, but I thought I'd point it out. Near the A in Action Comics, it leads from the yellow into the blue. At least, it looks like a crease.

How's the page quality? Looks brown and possibly slightly brittle. I'll just say 8.5 but I could never really tell unless it was in hand. If you were to slab it, I wouldn't be surprised if it even came back as an 8.0.

Also, bottom-left front cover, is that a color breaking crease? Or another tear? I can't tell.

Not on a GA book, Nik. I think this is a sure thing for 9.0 maybe 9.2.

Probably right as I really have no clue when it comes to GA books but base it on something I have a little more comfort in, SA/BA books.

Yeah, if it's a scanning thing I'm seeing and the pages are OW, then I could see it maybe being a 9.0

Now I have a question for stronguy, why does it being a GA book make a difference? I grade all books as equals. That's what makes the GA ones so valuable, because it's so rare to see one in the same condition as a modern. The fact that it's a GA book should make no impact on the grade. Sure, we all want our GA books to be 9.2, but I'm not going to jump it up that high just because I want to.

Just because I can't see the book in-hand, I'm sticking with my 8.5 estimation grade.

Now I have a question for stronguy, why does it being a GA book make a difference? I grade all books as equals. That's what makes the GA ones so valuable, because it's so rare to see one in the same condition as a modern. The fact that it's a GA book should make no impact on the grade. Sure, we all want our GA books to be 9.2, but I'm not going to jump it up that high just because I want to.

It's a well known fact that there is a GA bump. It all boils down to what is known to be defects (production or just common) in books of that era. There is also a pedigree bump... books from certain collections get special treatment.

It's a well known fact that there is a GA bump. It all boils down to what is known to be defects (production or just common) in books of that era. There is also a pedigree bump... books from certain collections get special treatment.

I know about pedigree, but didn't realize GA books automatically get a boost. To me, it will never make sense, but then again, what does in the world of comic books?

Thanks for the info.

It's not that GA books get an automatic "charity" boost, it's that they're very different than SA and later books.

GA books are in general larger than SA in both height and width as well as page number. The covers also are (again in general) printed on thicker stock than SA.

This means that the identical size defect on a GA versus a SA book constitutes a smaller percentage defect of the GA book.

Also, a cover color loss defect in a scan of a GA book is likely just some flaking of the top layer of color on the cover and does not create a hole in the cover. In a SA book, it is likely that this is a loss of the entire thickness of the cover (ie a chip) and not just the superficial layer of it.

That's my take, anyway, on the difference in grading standards.

In the end, I'm not sure it really matters as long as there is a generally accepted grading standard for each age.