• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THERE IS NOW A DD 7 CGC 9.6

176 posts in this topic

Not true in all cases. I rebagged (and thus touched) a copy of Batman: The Cult, sent it in, and it got a 10. It is Prestige format and squarebound, so maybe the oil thing is true for regular formats.

I have always factored this when dealing with books. I generally end up washing my hands multiple time when handling books. That nasty skin oil rumor stuck with me.

I always thought that Rogofsky said epidermal oil was not considered a defect. One of my favorite LCS owner used to refuse to let me look at new high grade books...he said I would get "eye tracks" all over them.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not true in all cases. I rebagged (and thus touched) a copy of Batman: The Cult, sent it in, and it got a 10. It is Prestige format and squarebound, so maybe the oil thing is true for regular formats.

I have always factored this when dealing with books. I generally end up washing my hands multiple time when handling books. That nasty skin oil rumor stuck with me.

I always thought that Rogofsky said epidermal oil was not considered a defect. One of my favorite LCS owner used to refuse to let me look at new high grade books...he said I would get "eye tracks" all over them.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

i had a 9.9 that had eye tracks in the graders notes..

That seems to be a bit of an extreme view on pressed pedigrees, no? Might as well start taking the pedigree notation off most of the books on the market if that is the case.

I don't think this is the case.

Hell, I truly hope it's not the case. :cry:

Well the Winnipeg, Pac Coast and Don Rosa's are all pressed. A bunch of Chicago's and I'm sure the Crippen's have all seen the back side of a pressing machine. Perhaps the Williamsport, bunch of Church books and a few others. Its just a matter of time.

That seems to be a bit of an extreme view on pressed pedigrees, no? Might as well start taking the pedigree notation off most of the books on the market if that is the case.

I don't think this is the case.

Hell, I truly hope it's not the case. :cry:

Well the Winnipeg, Pac Coast and Don Rosa's are all pressed. A bunch of Chicago's and I'm sure the Crippen's have all seen the back side of a pressing machine. Perhaps the Williamsport, bunch of Church books and a few others. Its just a matter of time.

So..

Ah never mind.

Yea, they are all swet peds kept in great condition forever..

Hi All: First off not all the P.C. books are pressed, some went straight from mylar to CGC and are in their original state to this day. So I disagree with your statement SS.

The DD 7 that has everyone buzzing and has graduated to 9.6 status was originally a 9.2. I purchased the book from the OO of the PC Collection as Ghost Town stated earlier.

When I first received the DD 1-21 from the OO the 7 really stood out because of the purple cover. The cover was so reflective you could see the roller marks from the printing process as well as the chips or the right side of the cover. The corners of the book are razor sharp and the smell of the inks like it was just printed.

I thought the book would be a 9.4, it was graded 9.2 so be it. I never called for the Graders notes, I just assumed the chips out of the cover knocked the grade down. I don't remember if the rear cover has the PC transfer stain.

I don't know what was done to the book but that is a pretty nice jump for such an expensive book. Because we all know " the insanity begins at 9.6".

The DD 2 in the run was awesome, I mean 9.8 appearance except for a non color breaking crease on the rear cover. It was graded 8.5 I resubmitted it twice 8.5, 9.0. I sold it on ebay to a well known dealer it was pressed and achieved a 9.4. All for a non color breaking crease that you can still see after pressing. It's in the Heritage archives.

This is nothing new it's been going on for many years and almost impossible to track because CGC changes the serial numbers of the books that are resubbed.

Best, Tom

Hi All: First off not all the P.C. books are pressed, some went straight from mylar to CGC and are in their original state to this day. So I disagree with your statement SS.

The DD 7 that has everyone buzzing and has graduated to 9.6 status was originally a 9.2. I purchased the book from the OO of the PC Collection as Ghost Town stated earlier.

When I first received the DD 1-21 from the OO the 7 really stood out because of the purple cover. The cover was so reflective you could see the roller marks from the printing process as well as the chips or the right side of the cover. The corners of the book are razor sharp and the smell of the inks like it was just printed.

I thought the book would be a 9.4, it was graded 9.2 so be it. I never called for the Graders notes, I just assumed the chips out of the cover knocked the grade down. I don't remember if the rear cover has the PC transfer stain.

I don't know what was done to the book but that is a pretty nice jump for such an expensive book. Because we all know " the insanity begins at 9.6".

The DD 2 in the run was awesome, I mean 9.8 appearance except for a non color breaking crease on the rear cover. It was graded 8.5 I resubmitted it twice 8.5, 9.0. I sold it on ebay to a well known dealer it was pressed and achieved a 9.4. All for a non color breaking crease that you can still see after pressing. It's in the Heritage archives.

This is nothing new it's been going on for many years and almost impossible to track because CGC changes the serial numbers of the books that are resubbed.

Best, Tom

Unless you are here. Then you know that the book is pressed.

Best, Tom

Thanks for the info, Tom, and for the correction. :applause:

I think it would be safer to say that those PCs owned by Mr Schmell have all been pressed. :insane:

I realise you probably don't wish to be dragged into the usual meltdown we see around these parts (and who could blame you? :insane: ), but how do you feel about an obviously already sublime Pedigree 'needing' manipulation? (shrug)

Tom you are correct I should have said "many are known to have been pressed" in the my post. (thumbs u Just to add I am not against pressing.

but how do you feel about an obviously already sublime Pedigree 'needing' manipulation? (shrug)

Nick this does beggar belief for a lot of us more mild mannered colectors.

Why does an uber fantastic book need to be pushed to the utmost boundaries of CGC grading...albeit well past preceived grading pereceptions as well doh!

... CGC two nicks out of the RF edge for sakes doh!doh! Do you guys let Doug have the run of the shop or something, while you guys pop out for colonics??

Ok, I'm annoyed, but a book thats unmistakably a 9.2 given a gift 9.6...they expect us to smile, and give them a pat on the back.

It just all over everything else they do, simple as that.

And Doug should know better, he's no better at this point.

That would be the 'Doug' who, when advised that his JIM #112 was a Ewert book by both Brent Moeshlin and Scott Bonner, immediately sent it for a walk-thru in an attempt to get a grade bump and a new serial number?

Without declaring what he knew?

meh

Don't want to start a s-storm but why blame Doug? CGC does the grading before and after and I see books every day that I don't agree with the grades (check out Blazing Bob's AF#15 CGC 7.0 for example) they come up with.

Under what conditions did the book end up Saratosa...it didn't get there by itself doh! Doug went fishing, paid a lot of cash for the privilage, and got his $$greased reward.

If you or I joe bloggs subbed that book, 9.0 on a good day, end of story.

Doug has bought and paid for his 'run of the house', it's as clear as that 9.6 piece of drek grading DD #7.

FT: All I can tell you is that when I started receiving books from the OO I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I can only imagine what Roter thought when he saw the 7500 books. I thought that the W PA books were the nicest that I would ever see and then lightning struck twice.

When the PC books came to light they were some of the freshest, newstand mint (as the OO described them) copies that I had ever seen. Shipped in plastic comic sleeves and once exposed, a treat to hold and admire. I felt like a kid at Christmas whenever a package would arrive.

As for Doug's PC's ALL being pressed, I don't know. I do know that there were alot of 9.6 & 9.8's that didn't require pressing in the collection.

Beautiful books in both their natural and pressed state. Do I think they should be manipulated? As a purist No, as a realist, Does it matter that a tiny impact dent was removed and the grade improved .2? No. Should it be disclosed, Yes. Will I be paying the sick prices that these books have attained? NO!

The entire hobby, oops did I just say Hobby, is no longer what it once was. Collections are worth more than some people's portfolios, collectors are dealers, and a larger percentage of dealers are pressing books!

Sorry for the Rant!

Best, Tom

That would be the 'Doug' who, when advised that his JIM #112 was a Ewert book by both Brent Moeshlin and Scott Bonner, immediately sent it for a walk-thru in an attempt to get a grade bump and a new serial number?

Without declaring what he knew?

meh

Your right, planet Schmell has only ever had a population of 1.

Expecting high standards of conduct from a guy who happily robbed little old ladies, what in Jesus H Christ's name was I thinking.