• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

Nice books PhiGam! I imagine some of those issues are tough to find in raw 9.8 worthy condition like #10 & 12. :applause:

It seems like there are a couple of new members to our little club here, welcome. It was getting a little lonely with just me Phi and Kev being the only ones throwing out love for Invincible.

Whats your takes on why Invincible is has not picked up a larger following so far. It angers me when I dont even see a single issue in the top 100 in sales. Kirkman and Ottley deserve way more props than they get right now. I think so many people dont explore whats out there, and just stick to Marvel and DC, which in my opinion is a huge mistake. Anyways, how long do you think it will take for this book to really go mainstream?

Nice books PhiGam! I imagine some of those issues are tough to find in raw 9.8 worthy condition like #10 & 12. :applause:

It seems like there are a couple of new members to our little club here, welcome. It was getting a little lonely with just me Phi and Kev being the only ones throwing out love for Invincible.

Whats your takes on why Invincible is has not picked up a larger following so far. It angers me when I dont even see a single issue in the top 100 in sales. Kirkman and Ottley deserve way more props than they get right now. I think so many people dont explore whats out there, and just stick to Marvel and DC, which in my opinion is a huge mistake. Anyways, how long do you think it will take for this book to really go mainstream?

unsure why this book isn't as popular as i think it should be...

all of my comic buddies who don't pick it up have their particular reasons...i've forced quite a few into reading the first couple issues, but they all say its 'cheesy' or that they don't like the art (i'll admit that I am partial to Ottley's art, for sure)....another one of my buddies thinks its too 'relatioinshipy', which i agree with from time to time...

anyway, i'm rambling...i dig the book for the awesome writing (i can't think of many books that make me laugh out loud, and drop my jaw so often), the awesome art (the previously mentioned jaw-dropping), and the characters...I really like Oliver, Nolan, Allen, Mark, Robot, monster girl..well, the list goes on and on....I picked up invincible at issue 10, and have enjoyed the ride ever since...i sometimes ask myself if i would have continued to read it had i started with issue #1, and i'm unsure...i'm very quick to drop titles these days, in an attempt to narrow down my collection..this and project superpowers/black terror are the only 'superhero' books i read, as i guess i'm 'over' the 'true' superhero titles...

RASL, Goon and dark tower are my other favs and have little in common with each other...but i think i read them all for the same reasons: great writing, great art and offbeat characters...

end rant.

oh yeah, is invincible #57 coming out this week??

I think your bolded statement is one of the reasons for Invincible not having a larger following. It's easier for new readers to stick with characters like Spider-man & Batman that they are familiar with. However one of the great draws Invincible has IMO is the great NEW cast of characters feautured without 40 years of continuity confusion. I think the biggest way for Invincible to grow in sales is simply by word of mouth. It's how I got onboard. Now I always recommend new readers to go buy the first two TPBs, and after reading that story arc thery are sure to be hooked.

Kevin Boyd makes a great point too about the successful TPB sales for Invincible. One reason may be all the "extras" they contain, plus the stories do read well this way.

Hopefully Invincible will show some steady growth and keep the creative team for a loong time. (thumbs u

I just started on Invincible and Wolf Man and love both so far (I'm caught up to about issue 30 on Invincible and about #4 on Wolf Man). I'm thinking about trying to track down all the back issues to both and adding them to my pull lists as well. I'm in the group who doesn't venture outside of Marvel or DC (actually, haven't bought a non-DC comic in years except Project Super Powers and the new Tales from the Crypt), but I'm real glad a friend convinced me to take a look at these comics. Anyone who isn't checking them out is missing out.

I just started on Invincible and Wolf Man and love both so far (I'm caught up to about issue 30 on Invincible and about #4 on Wolf Man). I'm thinking about trying to track down all the back issues to both and adding them to my pull lists as well. I'm in the group who doesn't venture outside of Marvel or DC (actually, haven't bought a non-DC comic in years except Project Super Powers and the new Tales from the Crypt), but I'm real glad a friend convinced me to take a look at these comics. Anyone who isn't checking them out is missing out.

agreed on all accounts! I got into project superpowers a little late, but am digging it...

if you have any problems tracking down any single invincible issues, let me know...let's just say i have a couple spare copies of each issue (:

I just finished issue 51, all i can say about the new threads are 'ihateitihateitihateitihateitihateitihateit' If the story didn't grab me so hard, i would have dropped this series then and there, it hurts me to look at the new outfit, but only an OUNCE of what it hurts me to look at his 'sidekick'. damn it!

now to finish 52 - 56 in front of me and try not to hate so much.