• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thank goodness bedrock is tall,

125 posts in this topic

Golden and Silver age were removed prior to the storm though thank goodness.

Smart man, that Richard. (thumbs u

I'll say. I'd think most everything else can be replaced. I hope his insurance is hassle-free.

The storm surge is lapping at my toes...and the eye is still about 170 miles away! :insane:

Thanks for the thoughts. This should be an interesting evening.

I wrote a bunch of jokes while reading through the thread up until I saw the part about your main store. That stinks, man! I hope insurance takes care of it swiftly.

Hang in there Richard. Hopefully you have power. :wishluck:

I just hung up from talking to Richard. His power and water are back on at his home, but no internet. His main store is pretty much a total loss though. Just terrible. His other stores fared very well and will open tomorrow.

He figures it will be at least a month before the roof will be repaired at his main store. That may be optimistic depending on the availability of contractors. Unless Mike Miles wants to head up and take care of it for him.

Golden and Silver age were removed prior to the storm though thank goodness.

Thanks for the update. Good to hear that at least the old books were spared from Ike's wrath.

Good to hear that Richard was able to salvage/save the irreplaceable items. I wish you the best in a quick recovery.

But like in most major storm events, I'm sure there are quite a few people with irreplaceable items, photos, heirlooms, collectibles that were not as fortunate.

Please consider helping out via donations to reputable organizations for those less fortunate.

Here I sit in Alaska, waiting for the next 9.4 earthquake....thinking my collection is likely toast if that ever happens.

Best wishes to you Richard, good to know the family is safe and sound.

My in-laws, and the rest of my wife's family all live in Houston. They came up to Austin to avoid Ike, but unfortunately Ike took a big hammer to my mother/father-in-laws home. They live in Huffman, which is the northern part of Houston, near Lake Houston off of Atascocita. Their house is almost totally demolished. A huge pine tree in the front yard fell on the roof, dstroyed the upper two bedrooms and bathroom, crushed the front porch/roof area, and destroyed her dining room. What wasn't destroyed by the tree was ruined by the rain coming in through the damage. I am grateful that they were not at home, but like Richard, they have suffered a huge loss. Lots of people are going to have a hard time bouncing back from this storm. I'm glad that you are alright though Richard.

Scott

well, richard is knee deep in water and squeegies, but in relatively good spirits (as much as can be expected)...if I was there, I would go help him, but alas....

his spirits have risen more; against ALL odds his clearlake store is untouched, has juice and is open for business. it makes little sense, as it is only a mile from kemah, tx and if you're seen those pictures--wow.

but 2 of the 3 stores are fine, and he's making do. was actually on hold with the insurance guy when i talked to him, so he's busy trying to get the big store back on the tracks.

It's good to hear that as bad as things were, it's not as bad as it could have been. Richard and his family are safe, two stores are OK and the Silver and Gold are safe. Hopefully insurance will cover the losses fully and things will get back on track before too long. Good luck Richard!

First off, having just read through this thread, I gotta say you guys (and Sharon!) are awesome! Thank you so much for all of your thoughts, well wishes and offers of help.

Unfortunately I have now run out of tissues and I don't know when the tissue stores are going to get power and reopen.

Scott, sorry to hear about your folk`s home in Huffman. I feel for all the people whose homes were damaged or destroyed. Businesses, stores and vehicles can be rebuilt and/or replaced but having to deal with a home is much tougher. Good luck to them.

Has anyone heard from Phil Prasco (toward2112)? Baytown was especially hard hit.

As for our situation. The good news...All my employees made it through with little damage. Electricity is coming back, and those who haven't gotten it have been hunkering down with friends (or at my place). Two of the stores are now open and hopefully we will get new books this week.

The less good news...Although the main store got slammed, it looks like insurance (both ours and our landlord's) will cover things. And on the bright side, we can now do some store improvements that we had been thinking about.

If I get my internet back up soon I will post some photos.

Please keep sending out good thoughts for all the folks along the gulf coast who are affected. Your thoughts have really brightened my day.

First off, having just read through this thread, I gotta say you guys (and Sharon!) are awesome! Thank you so much for all of your thoughts, well wishes and offers of help.

Unfortunately I have now run out of tissues and I don't know when the tissue stores are going to get power and reopen.

Scott, sorry to hear about your folk`s home in Huffman. I feel for all the people whose homes were damaged or destroyed. Businesses, stores and vehicles can be rebuilt and/or replaced but having to deal with a home is much tougher. Good luck to them.

Has anyone heard from Phil Prasco (toward2112)? Baytown was especially hard hit.

As for our situation. The good news...All my employees made it through with little damage. Electricity is coming back, and those who haven't gotten it have been hunkering down with friends (or at my place). Two of the stores are now open and hopefully we will get new books this week.

The less good news...Although the main store got slammed, it looks like insurance (both ours and our landlord's) will cover things. And on the bright side, we can now do some store improvements that we had been thinking about.

If I get my internet back up soon I will post some photos.

Please keep sending out good thoughts for all the folks along the gulf coast who are affected. Your thoughts have really brightened my day.

I lived in Houston for eight years and it flooded there several times.

It rained almost everyday in the summer and no one had a basement except at the medical center.

The basement at the Texas Medical center was flooded and reagents lost while I was there

but they continued to use the area due to lack of space.

I stayed at a couple of beautiful beach homes in Galveston and it is sad to think that they may be gone.

The summers in Houston were so hot and humid that going to the beach or Ninfa's was one of the few things that made them tolerable.

I used to go to Camelot which was downtown (or around Westheimer) and dealt with Harold Starbuck.

I also went to Roy's which was along the freeway and closer to the medical center.

Third Planet was another little store in Houston that I visited and picked up my Conan collection.

My memory of these areas is a little fuzzy now. Did you take over all of the stores?

Sorry to bother you with questions while you are trying to recover but Ike has caused old memories to resurface.

I hope you have a quick recover and all of your family and friends are safe.

bb