• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thank goodness bedrock is tall,

125 posts in this topic

I wish I could be there to help out, Richard. :P

he wouldn't let you; i offered to drive over and he told me no. he had so many helpers at the main store the other day that a passerby called the cops and reported looting at bedrock city. the cops showed up and indeed the store was filled with people cleaning the place out, but in a good way.

he wouldn't let you; i offered to drive over and he told me no. he had so many helpers at the main store the other day that a passerby called the cops and reported looting at bedrock city. the cops showed up and indeed the store was filled with people cleaning the place out, but in a good way.

Great news! :applause:

Great news! :applause:

Funny how that works out. Treat people well, and all that good karma circles back eventually. (thumbs u

First off, having just read through this thread, I gotta say you guys (and Sharon!) are awesome! Thank you so much for all of your thoughts, well wishes and offers of help.

Unfortunately I have now run out of tissues and I don't know when the tissue stores are going to get power and reopen.

Scott, sorry to hear about your folk`s home in Huffman. I feel for all the people whose homes were damaged or destroyed. Businesses, stores and vehicles can be rebuilt and/or replaced but having to deal with a home is much tougher. Good luck to them.

Has anyone heard from Phil Prasco (toward2112)? Baytown was especially hard hit.

As for our situation. The good news...All my employees made it through with little damage. Electricity is coming back, and those who haven't gotten it have been hunkering down with friends (or at my place). Two of the stores are now open and hopefully we will get new books this week.

The less good news...Although the main store got slammed, it looks like insurance (both ours and our landlord's) will cover things. And on the bright side, we can now do some store improvements that we had been thinking about.

If I get my internet back up soon I will post some photos.

Please keep sending out good thoughts for all the folks along the gulf coast who are affected. Your thoughts have really brightened my day.

Good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts happy to hear you are OK (for the most part).

Glad to hear you are safe and things are looking up!

Looking up? I thought Mr B spent most of his time looking down!

Glad to hear that no one was injured and not all of your shops had storm damage. Good luck with the clean-up and insurance. When's the "slight water damage" blow-out sale?

Jack

I lived in Houston for eight years and it flooded there several times.

It rained almost everyday in the summer and no one had a basement except at the medical center.

The basement at the Texas Medical center was flooded and reagents lost while I was there

but they continued to use the area due to lack of space.

I stayed at a couple of beautiful beach homes in Galveston and it is sad to think that they may be gone.

The summers in Houston were so hot and humid that going to the beach or Ninfa's was one of the few things that made them tolerable.

I used to go to Camelot which was downtown (or around Westheimer) and dealt with Harold Starbuck.

I also went to Roy's which was along the freeway and closer to the medical center.

Third Planet was another little store in Houston that I visited and picked up my Conan collection.

My memory of these areas is a little fuzzy now. Did you take over all of the stores?

Sorry to bother you with questions while you are trying to recover but Ike has caused old memories to resurface.

I hope you have a quick recover and all of your family and friends are safe.

bb

BB,

I have lived in Houston just about my whole life (we moved here from Corpus Christi TX when I was four - so forty one years now). I have been told that I should be a chamber of commerce spokesman, such is my passion for this city. The friendliest people, the great economy (there is no better to place to earn a living and live well), and absolutely the most beautiful women in America. Well even in the face of Ike the folks have been incredibly friendly. The economy seems to be rebounding as the electricity is restored and businesses reopen. And despite have to dig down to the bottom drawer of the dresser or the back of the closet (with no power you can't wash clothes), and the resulting questionable fashion choices, the women still look fabulous.

Galveston, on the other hand...

We stayed in a house on Crystal Beach about a year and a half ago. There is nothing but a slab there now. A friend's boss had three houses (including his mother's) on the Bolivar penisula...all wiped away. It is a good bet that anyplace you stayed or visited there is severely damaged. But the islanders are resilient. Heck, just 108 years ago...

Now, down memory lane...

I worked at Camelot when you were visiting Harold Starbuck. I was a teenage funnybook store gopher and that was the greatest store ever! Harold ran the mail order stuff and handled back issues. When Camelot closed he continued to sell books through the CBG for a number of years. I lost touch with him for a while. After we opened in 1990 he would come in periodically and buy Masterworks and Archives. I still talk to him regularly.

Roy's was the first comic store in Houston. Roy Bonario originally sold old comics starting in 1967 in a record store (Harmony Hut Records). Roy's Memory Shop opened in 1970 and that was the first store I visited (1972). I still remember buying some golden age from his manager Willie Patterson at a sidewalk sale in the early '70s. Roy has since closed and primarily sells vintage records and movie paper via eBay and elsewhere. We get together regularly (and this reminds me that I need to give him a call and see how Ike treated him).

Third Planet is still open. We have been and are still competing for comic dollars around here.

If any of you visit after we clean the place up a bit I would love to show you around! (thumbs u

When's the "slight water damage" blow-out sale?

Sorry, there won't be a "slight water damage" blow-out sale? :(

There is going to be one hell of a "Heavy Water Damage" Liquidation (get it :grin: ) Sale though! (thumbs u

Seriously, if anyone is interested we will be posting updates on the web-site and through our newsletter which you can sign up for by clicking the logo below.

See... that is my post-Ike shameless plug.

There is going to be one hell of a "Heavy Water Damage" Liquidation (get it :grin: ) Sale though! (thumbs u

Seriously, if anyone is interested we will be posting updates on the web-site and through our newsletter which you can sign up for by clicking the logo below.

It's bad enough that we have to wade through all the posts in this thread without you flooding us with promos. I'm sure the rising tides of fortune will be smiling on you soon enough. Hopefully the wall of goodwishes has kept your spirits rising. Now open up the flood gates to all those posts you've been holding back.

Way to pull a Chuck on all of us.

Not enough hyperbole to be a Chuck.

Not enough hyperbole to be a Chuck.

And he would never admit to it.

What logo?

Same as the url on your profile page?

Jack

not good enough (tsk)

You need to call Chuck and learn from him how to improve your selling technique

you were shameless as hell before ike as well.

I lived in Houston for eight years and it flooded there several times.

It rained almost everyday in the summer and no one had a basement except at the medical center.

The basement at the Texas Medical center was flooded and reagents lost while I was there

but they continued to use the area due to lack of space.

I stayed at a couple of beautiful beach homes in Galveston and it is sad to think that they may be gone.

The summers in Houston were so hot and humid that going to the beach or Ninfa's was one of the few things that made them tolerable.

I used to go to Camelot which was downtown (or around Westheimer) and dealt with Harold Starbuck.

I also went to Roy's which was along the freeway and closer to the medical center.

Third Planet was another little store in Houston that I visited and picked up my Conan collection.

My memory of these areas is a little fuzzy now. Did you take over all of the stores?

Sorry to bother you with questions while you are trying to recover but Ike has caused old memories to resurface.

I hope you have a quick recover and all of your family and friends are safe.

bb

BB,

I have lived in Houston just about my whole life (we moved here from Corpus Christi TX when I was four - so forty one years now). I have been told that I should be a chamber of commerce spokesman, such is my passion for this city. The friendliest people, the great economy (there is no better to place to earn a living and live well), and absolutely the most beautiful women in America. Well even in the face of Ike the folks have been incredibly friendly. The economy seems to be rebounding as the electricity is restored and businesses reopen. And despite have to dig down to the bottom drawer of the dresser or the back of the closet (with no power you can't wash clothes), and the resulting questionable fashion choices, the women still look fabulous.

Galveston, on the other hand...

We stayed in a house on Crystal Beach about a year and a half ago. There is nothing but a slab there now. A friend's boss had three houses (including his mother's) on the Bolivar penisula...all wiped away. It is a good bet that anyplace you stayed or visited there is severely damaged. But the islanders are resilient. Heck, just 108 years ago...

Now, down memory lane...

I worked at Camelot when you were visiting Harold Starbuck. I was a teenage funnybook store gopher and that was the greatest store ever! Harold ran the mail order stuff and handled back issues. When Camelot closed he continued to sell books through the CBG for a number of years. I lost touch with him for a while. After we opened in 1990 he would come in periodically and buy Masterworks and Archives. I still talk to him regularly.

Roy's was the first comic store in Houston. Roy Bonario originally sold old comics starting in 1967 in a record store (Harmony Hut Records). Roy's Memory Shop opened in 1970 and that was the first store I visited (1972). I still remember buying some golden age from his manager Willie Patterson at a sidewalk sale in the early '70s. Roy has since closed and primarily sells vintage records and movie paper via eBay and elsewhere. We get together regularly (and this reminds me that I need to give him a call and see how Ike treated him).

Third Planet is still open. We have been and are still competing for comic dollars around here.

If any of you visit after we clean the place up a bit I would love to show you around! (thumbs u

Richard,

Thanks for the information. I think I traded away half of my DC silver age collection to Harold to pick up Ducks and a little Sci Fi.

I have replaced a lot of the Marvels that I sold a long time ago but less of the DC issues.

I still have my Showcase collection (starts at #10 unfortunately), Atom, Hawkman, Mystery in Space and Our Army at War .

I replaced my silver age Batman collection with golden age.

I remember spending a lot of warm summer nights at the local bars in Houston listening to terrific music (drinking Shiner and Dos Equis).

I saw Arlo Guthrie at the Texas Opry House. I saw a Cezanne collection at the Museum.

The zoo there was fantastic and very open (I had friends that took care of the snakes). And I enjoyed watching baseball at the Astrodome.

I lived near Rice University and the medical center most of the time but we had friends (really good people) that lived and worked all over the area.

Like so many "Snow Birds" I moved back north to find a better job.

I remember the area fondly but I don't miss the summer heat and the rain.

Again I hope you and your family and friends are all well. And I hope that the beach houses are rebuilt in time for my grand children to visit Surfside.

Bruce

It's bad enough that we have to wade through all the posts in this thread without you flooding us with promos. I'm sure the rising tides of fortune will be smiling on you soon enough. Hopefully the wall of goodwishes has kept your spirits rising. Now open up the flood gates to all those posts you've been holding back.

:signfunny: