• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We Know That Slabs Aren't Waterproof...

86 posts in this topic

Last weekend while I was in Las Vegas on business, Chicago was hit with the remnants of Hurricane Ike. We got 10+ inches of rain in 36 hours.

When I heard a lot of rain was coming I wasn't worried because we had installed a new drainage system last summer to keep water away from our house, and my industrial strength shelving units were more than adequate to keep everything off the floor in case water did seep in somehow.

What I wasn't prepared for was the record rainfall that overloaded my new drainage system. Water filled my window wells and ultimately one burst sending a cascade of water into the basement.

How ironic, everything is off the floor high and dry, but one 4-foot section of shelving was directly below the window well and took the gusher straight on.

I lost about $5,000 worth of books, most notably raw Mads 1, 2, and 3 and some SA X-Men. A lot of personal stuff was ruined but salvageable. These were books and art that were autographed to me. I'm keeping them, but a lot of the signatures are smeared.

I lost 12 CGC books. Nothing important except for 3 books.

O.K. Comics 1 - 8.0

Great Comics 1 - 7.0

Bang-Up Comics 1 - 8.5

We know that slabs aren't water proof, but it was amazing to see what happened when they came in contact with water. All of these slabs were in CGC-issued open-at-the-top poly bags (to protect against scratching), upright, in a box. The water came in over the top and filled the bags approximately 1" - 2". It's difficult to say how long they sat in the water filled bags since my wife didn't want to venture into the basement until she knew it was safe (the power was still on), but it's safe to assume a few hours (2-4).

Speaking to her over the phone it was difficult to get clear information, but I told her to take everything that was wet out of bags and to blot them and air dry them. When I asked if there were any CGC books, she said she wasn't sure.

When I got home two days later here's what I found:

BangUp1FC.jpg

Bang-UpWaterFC.jpg

BangUp1BC.jpg

Bang-UpWaterBC.jpg

OK1FC.jpg

OKWaterFC.jpg

OK1BC.jpg

OKWaterBC.jpg

Great1FC.jpg

GreatWaterFC.jpg

Great1BC.jpg

GreatWaterBC.jpg

You can see that the books sucked the water right up! In fact when I got home on Sunday night the water wasn't as high up on the books as it ultimately ended up. I can only presume that there was water still in the case and that it kept absorbing it until it was gone.

I was considering cracking them on Sunday when I saw they were damaged, but decided that they were too far gone already.

This was a freak accident, I can't imagine anything like this happening to anyone else, but make sure you are careful with your slabs around water. Once it gets in, the book is gone.

And to my friends who already know about this misfortune and who have expressed their sympathy, thanks, but this loss is nothing compared to the losses so many endured in Houston, Galveston and areas around Chicago. I'm very blessed to only have this happen.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. :(

I have mine in the Bags Unlimited CGC bags and those close over like a resealable comic bag. (Which would hopefully avoid the situation you described. ) :wishluck:

I'm sorry for your loss, Mrwoogieman. :(

What does this all mean for the CGC holder? Does the holder do it's job? What is the holder's job anyway? What does the CGC holder protect our books from, if anything at all? :shrug:

-Issa

Thanks for the sympathy everyone, but really, I posted all this to draw attention to the slabs and to warn everyone what could happen.

The Mads are dried out. They're water-damaged... duh! lol

It *was* a shame, Sharon. Taking care of all this stuff for future generations is our responsibility as collectors. Thankfully no ashcans were damaged.

This type of loss is usually not covered by homeowners insurance. If it had been a sewer/water back up - yes, it would be covered, but water in your home from flooding isn't.

This, sadly,is how old books become rarer and rarer as the years go by and they meet their statistical destiny.

Maybe if you bagged and sealed the slab and then inversely rebagged and sealed it again it might have survived or maybe it's time was up and nothing can stop its demise.

All I know is if it was an issue of Undersea Agent or The Frogmen it would have fared much better :grin:

Oh well.

Any insurance coverage?

I have actually tried{with excellent success} to seal the slab with a professional grade clear epoxy. Sort of like window sealer. I cleaned the slabs off and then used this sealant. I just ran a thin bead of it all the way around the book. Then I used my finger to smoothen it out as best I could. This clear epoxy is used in making custom made aquariums. I did it because my wife asked me if they slabs were waterproof. I knew they were not. But I pulled out two books. Both slabbed and worth around $20 each... After the epoxy was applied. I let it dry for 4 hours. Then the test. I put them in the kitchen sink. They floated in the water{sort of}.. This was a good sign. My wife said to put them under the water and really test this epoxy. I wasn't impressed by this idea BTW. But sure enough after holding them under the water for about 15 seconds each. Both books were dry as a bone. A quick drying with a towel and they were as good as new. We did this experiment because when we first bought our house. We had a huge storm and the basement took in around 1 inch of water. The garage, the hall way, and the finished room. All around the edge of the room the carpet was very wet. We had a insurance claim. So we got the basement re done with a new type of "Bone Dry" warranty product. Plus we paid out of pocket to have proper drainage spouts put up outside. Along with re grading the property{front mostly}. Plus adding a drain to the front of the garage. We have not had one drop of water in the basement through a few very good down pours.. Sorry about the loss of your books. But no one was hurt. That is what counts in the end. Most of my books with a value of over $200 are now treated to

the epoxy treatment. If there slabbed...They are all kept upstairs "Just In case".... I have read the thread about staples rusting in Fire Proof Safes{lack of air}. So I check them every now and again for any signs of rust. So far that isn't an issue...