• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

will CA ever trump GA?

236 posts in this topic

Remember when I was in Montreal and decided to go to the Con and posted a PUBLIC MESSAGE asking anyone to meet me there. I wanted to put the rumors to rest, even though I have no overriding need to meet anyone or post pics for constant Photoshopping.

JC, I missed that. Had I seen it I'm sure I could have gotten at least a couple dozen board members to fly in all over the world and meet you there. Me included.

R.

Without taking the time to search for the original thread (so correct me if I'm wrong JC) the public message came from his hotel room shortly before he went into the show. It wasn't as if JC asked in advance if anybody wanted to meet up. So unless you already happened to be at the Con and checked the boards at the right time, it would have been impossible.

Oh brother. You've got to be kidding. Is this really the shtick you've been going with for 6 years? The more you boast, the less believable you are.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I must have a real hyperactive imagination to create this amazing life around me. And of course, you all think I'm a 3-foot, 800lb cripple with learning disabilities, an IQ of 13 and am currently living in my parent's basement under nurse's care. :insane:

Seriously, maybe I do come on here to blow off some steam - who knows? What I do know is that there is a sub-section of the population that really bugs me on a base level - like if I were to go to a Star Wars convention, I'd probably end up on CNN.

"Nerd threatens JC to lightsaber duel, 12 killed, 32 injured - more at 11"

Well, you're on a forum with people of like minded interests to a degree and I'd have to believe most of them are pretty good people and aren't here simply to test your patience. Obviously you are knowledgeable and contribute. I just don't see the need to beat people down as much as you seem to. Whatever floats your boat though. Let's leave it at that.

Without taking the time to search for the original thread (so correct me if I'm wrong JC) the public message came from his hotel room shortly before he went into the show.

Yeah, I was there on business and just noticed that it happened to be Montreal Con time. It wasn't like I flew there to go to the Con, just coincidental timing.

But I did post the message and I was open to meeting forum members there, and Montreal is a pretty big city. I think I even offered to meet people after the show, and not one reply. :whistle:

That doesn't mean collecting CA is a waste of time or that the books are inherently worthless

That's NOT what many of your GA cronies are saying, and many on here have already admitted falling for the "nerd peer pressure" to switch to GA, so it's definitely there, clandestine or not.

You've been around here much longer than me so I guess you've seen things that I haven't.

I was a high grade, SA collector. Found the boards and started looking at GA. I asked about collecting in the GA forums and I got alot of responses from really good people like detective27kid, sacentaur, etc....they basically told me it was alot of fun to collect GA and that I should give it a shot. Nobody in the GA told me to collect GA instead of SA or CA or any other age. Nobody told me that I was collecting the wrong stuff or that GA was the only way to go. They just shared there love of the books with me and I caught the bug.

For the record I don't agree with anybody telling someone else what or how they should collect. But I also haven't seen what you are talking about with GA collectors. Those I have spoken to all talk about the fun aspects of collecting GA. And they don't disparage the other ages to do it.

And he has to hide, leaving me to believe if I ever met him I would fall over laughing.

:signfunny:

Who's hiding? I've told everyone what I look like - 6'2" blonde hair, blue eyes, athletic, smart, funny, etc. If you ever met me, that's exactly what you'd get. (shrug)

Remember when I was in Montreal and decided to go to the Con and posted a PUBLIC MESSAGE asking anyone to meet me there. I wanted to put the rumors to rest, even though I have no overriding need to meet anyone or post pics for constant Photoshopping.

Not one reply, not a single one.

So STFU chicken arms. :banana:

Don't forget humble.

Okay - couldn't resist.

Also. Sorry for not knowing what YOU collect (BA). I can barely keep up with what *I* collect - and I'm really far more important in my life than you are.

Anyhow.

I checked with my wife.

We're all wrong. Comic Collecting of ANY era is a waste of time and we should all be doing home renovations.

Oh.... but she did say that CA books would never Trump GA books (honest).

She also didn't know that JC collects BA books and apologizes for her lack of knowledge. (honest)

Okay - couldn't resist.

Also. Sorry for not knowing what YOU collect (BA). I can barely keep up with what *I* collect - and I'm really far more important in my life than you are.

Anyhow.

I checked with my wife.

We're all wrong. Comic Collecting of ANY era is a waste of time and we should all be doing home renovations.

Oh.... but she did say that CA books would never Trump GA books (honest).

She also didn't know that JC collects BA books and apologizes for her lack of knowledge. (honest)

Thats just funny..

I would rather be working on peoples houses. The economy put the Kabosh on my job though...

Just for the record.

1) I am an old fogey.

2) I have approximately 1,000 Silver Age Books.

3) I have approximately 3,000 Bronze Age books.

4) I have approximately 6,000 Copper Age Books.

5) I have approximately 700 Golden Age Books.

6) I have approximately 8,000 Modern Age Books.

7) I have exactly 22 pre-Golden Age books.

8) My recent purchases (all from this forums selling pages), include modern CGC 9.8 Batman's and Tec's. Green Lantern #76. Batman #300. A run of Dark tower Gunslingers CGC 9.8's. READING copies of those same Dark Tower issues. Tec #359. etc, etc.

My point is, even though I enjoy my GA books the most (because of rarity), I enjoy all era's and collect all era's. To try and make it look like I and my GA "kind" use peer pressure to get those that don't collect GA, to move to GA, is absurd. Sure, maybe there are one or three people who have a vested interest in getting more collectors interested in their wares, to collect GA. But the same could be said for any era collector who wants more people to collect his or her era, so that they have more value, or are more justified in what they collect.

I purchased my Dark Tower Gunslinger run, not because it will make me a fortune someday (it won't. I am a member of GPA and have enough experience to know a bad investment when I see it), but because I like western stuff. One of my grails is Kid Colt #1 in HG. I owned one, sent ot to CGC and it came back restored. I sold it immediately. I do not collect restored books (that I know of). I am looking for that HG Kid Colt #1 above all other books. At the right price of course. :)

I collect what I like and some that I don't like strictly for potential monetary gain (Oh my, did he say THAT?), and make no apologies. Would somene be chatized for buying stock in the hopes of a profit down the road? Sell some of your stock today and I'll sell some of my GA comics today, and let's see who made out better. hmmm......Let's see. If I paid 8 bucks for my Sparkman #1 and I sell it for $500 dollars (only GPA listed is $538 in Aug 2007), then how does that fair against 99% of the stocks out there?

I am not ONLY a GA collector. But I do specialize in that and enjoy it the most, of all of my collectibles. I also collect toys, hardback first edition books, coins and even those worthless trading cards. Anyone want to buy a Roger Clemens rookie card?

Yea. No pizzing contest in sports from me. Played Baseball for 9 years, never cared much for other sports.

Baseball was my favorite too, and I was born in the wrong freaking country. It was all hockey, hockey, hockey (a sport I am very proficient in, but don't like due to the cold, ice and monster equipment) up here 24/7. :mad:

I hate the winter, and I often thought that my parent's adopted me on a trip to California. lol

JC likes hockey? Ok, well that changes some things. You can't be a complete arsehole then. Just 99% arsehole. :baiting:

200px-Phantom_Lady_17.jpg

Sorry Roy, nothing special about his style or the way he drew women (shrug)

I agree. Baker's style to me is only noteworthy because it holds up over time -- it was unique then because his skill in drawing women was superior to the other rubes drawing most comic books back then.

People revere him now simply because his name evokes a reaction, but when you actually see it, I find it pretty pedestrian.

I think he has more skill and style than you guys give him credit for, and I also think it's a matter of taste.

You also need to put his work in context. We're now inundated with scantily clad women on a daily basis but that wasn't the case back then. He's basically drawn these amply proportioned naked women who look built for sex, and then covered the naughty bits with the smallest and flimsiest fabric possible. Imagine seeing that stuff on the newstands in the 40s, long before anything approaching Playboy was readily available.

Great art doesn't need to be put in context, it stands on its own. ("Put in context" always reminds me of people who grade comics by saying "it looks good for its age"). If you have to put it in context, it doesn't stand the test of time, and great art stands the test of time.

Just for the record.

1) I am an old fogey.

2) I have approximately 1,000 Silver Age Books.

3) I have approximately 3,000 Bronze Age books.

4) I have approximately 6,000 Copper Age Books.

5) I have approximately 700 Golden Age Books.

6) I have approximately 8,000 Modern Age Books.

7) I have exactly 22 pre-Golden Age books.

18,000+ That's not bad. I only need a few to bridge the gap between our collections :insane:

After some recent sales here is mine

GA: 2 books

SA: 2 books

BA: 3 books

Modern: about 35-50 bought for reading pleasure only, not to collect

I am somewhat new to the comic collecting game, but I am extremely drawn to GA books. It must be the covers. I drool over most Schomburg's or Fleissel's I see. Too bad most of these books I can not afford, but I am slowly making a list of books I would like to own. Safe to say that ALL of them are GA books..