• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

Comic completist what’s your thoughts.

Hi everyone, so like this is my 1st post ever.. I usually just lurk in the shadows collecting info. I’ve been a Joe comic collector off and on since forever and I’ve turned into a Joe comic completist.. So if it’s a Joe comic, count me in.

Want to hear everyone’s thoughts on this type of collecting.

As well want to share this with you as it looks to be promising for my style of collecting so it’s close to heart to me.

Edited by CChymy

On 9/30/2020 at 12:33 AM, CChymy said:

I’ve turned into a Joe comic completist.. So if it’s a Joe comic, count me in.

Want to hear everyone’s thoughts on this type of collecting

I think the original series is a good candidate for completionists since there are only a few expensive issues. I don’t know how anyone can do that with modern books because of all the variants?

I agree.. I have kept up with the modern variants but I thinking they’ve been capitalizing on my obsession...

I thought it was bad before but Snake Eyes Deadgame  is ridiculous!!

I have contemplated breaking free of the moderns but this is my addiction.

I haven’t been able to get into the new stuff. The original series is great fun, grab them before the snake eyes movie comes out in the off chance that they may get expensive. I got a really nice #1 on ebay less than a year ago for $20 in a lot with 3 other books, can’t find a deal like that anymore 

Just finding this thread, so ignore me this has been discussed. 

Any love for the 101 - 115 run? S.A.W. Viper, Snake Eyes on a death mission when he thought Scarlett was dying, the Oktober Guard, and real deaths. Storm Shadow's water tower base. 

After all these years, it's still the main run that I read. The three storylines cover so many characters, but they all get great moments. And it felt like the stakes were much higher than the early issues. 

I have the whole run in individual issues, but they are quite well loved! 

I see some newer posts in this thread which is cool!  I love the cover to issue #100 and I did like the next 20 or so issues.  I liked the first 100 issues of the original run.  Any issue with a Zeck cover always caught my eye.  One of my favorite artists was MD Bright, he drew the Snake Eyes trilogy and the epic issue #93, where Snake Eyes is first seen!  I was able to get this panel from issue 93 recreated by Mr. Bright several years ago.  Anyone remember your reactions to seeing this?  He also drew a couple other sketches for me.  Now you know....(thumbsu

Snake Eyes revealed.jpg

On 10/16/2020 at 10:20 PM, OV said:

Anyone remember your reactions to seeing this?  He also drew a couple other sketches for me.  Now you know....(thumbsu

Snake Eyes revealed.jpg

That’s awesome, great job getting that sketch! I do remember the first time I saw that panel, I was expecting him to look much worse based on the reactions of other characters who have seen him. I guess you can’t get too gruesome on a kid friendly book though (shrug)

That looks to be in great shape for a foreign book!  :golfclap:

I worked HARD of picking up foreign Joe books, they are tough to find in good shape.  I was shocked to discover how many countries Joe was printed in: I have books from: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chili, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Israel, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, & the U.K. Other than the U.K. Action Force stuff it is all just reprinted books in a different language, on occasion with all new original cover art.  

Foreign books are a cool way to keep collection the old Marvel run once you get all of them printed in the US. 

Great find! 

19 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Got this during the last Clink auction.  TPB of ARAH 3, 6, and 7.  Census: 1 graded copy, this one.  Just stumbled on it.  Anyone know the backstory?  Its Marvel, but I have never seen it before.

GI Joe Trojan 101 January 31, 2021.jpg

Wow, I’ve never seen this before. Did they make more of these? Is it magazine size?

1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

Wow, I’ve never seen this before. Did they make more of these? Is it magazine size?

Man dont know a thing about it.  I googled it to figure out what the contents of the book are, but thats as far as I got.  I dont have it in hand yet from Comic Link, but I am betting its in a magazine holder, as its three comics in one book effectively.  It just really through me off that there is one CGC submitted book.  I like collecting the hard to find ARAH era stuff, but this is just the outlier of all outliers.

23 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Got this during the last Clink auction.  TPB of ARAH 3, 6, and 7.  Census: 1 graded copy, this one.  Just stumbled on it.  Anyone know the backstory?  Its Marvel, but I have never seen it before.

GI Joe Trojan 101 January 31, 2021.jpg

GI Joe The Trojan Gambit TPB (1983 Marvel) #1

"1st printing. Collects GI Joe (1982-1994 Marvel) #3 and 6-7. Written by Larry Hama. Art by Herb Trimpe. Issues 6 & 7 are collected as one slightly edited story. First GI Joe is caught in a threeway battle with Cobra and their Russian counterparts the October Gaurd for the possession of the iltimate weapon. Then Cobra infiltrates GI Joe headquarters using the "The Trojan Gambit!" Softcover, 8 1/2-in. x 11-in., full color. Cover price $2.95." https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=479681