• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,337 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2021 at 4:46 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

It does make sense #1 has hit the $2000 plateau even though the population of the book in CGC 9.8 compared to other books is on the high side. 

- #1 and #2 (low distribution compared to previous and next issues)  are books that were pretty much HOT from the very day they went on-sale. Other issues in the run of course too were very hot during the 1980's but not from Day 1

- #1 and #2 are books that all kids collecting comics in 1982-end of decade had or wanted badly.

- #1 is one of the most remembered (classic) books and covers of the 1980's.

- It can be argued the TV Show and GI Joe #1 are Pop Culture symbols of a generation and the demand for #1 far outstrips supply

Speaking of Issue #2,  I recall as child getting it at an unplanned and unexpected visit to a comic book shop. Issue #3 was already out and no issue #2 appeared and my local newsstand racks.  For many reasons including the story it remains my favorite issue of the run. I still read it once a year.

Edited by MAR1979

16 hours ago, MAR1979 said:

Is it just me or do many books at clink auctions garner 15-25% higher prices than on eBay. I've also seen common (non Joe) books that just sit on eBay at lower prices go for decent money at clink. makes me think that even if no reserve their system enters a minimum at some point before the auction ends.

Joe #1 does now go for 2K on eBay in 9.8 so probably not the right topic for me to have placed my above paragraph.

It does make sense #1 has hit the $2000 plateau even though the population of the book in CGC 9.8 compared to other books is on the high side. 

- #1 and #2 (low distribution compared to previous and next issues)  are books that were pretty much HOT from the very day they went on-sale. Other issues in the run of course too were very hot during the 1980's but not from Day 1

- #1 and #2 are books that all kids collecting comics in 1982-end of decade had or wanted badly.

- #1 is one of the most remembered (classic) books and covers of the 1980's.

- It can be argued the TV Show and GI Joe #1 are Pop Culture symbols of a generation and the demand for #1 far outstrips supply

Speaking of Issue #2,  I recall as child getting it at an unplanned and unexpected visit to a comic book shop. Issue #3 was already out and no issue #2 appeared and my local newsstand racks.  For many reasons including the story it remains my favorite issue of the run. I still read it once a year.

My experience with Clink has been very different, I tend to buy stuff under GPA on Clink and Heritage (but thats because of the ridiculous 20% buyers premium), but with Joe 1, 2, 26, 27, 155, and of course 21, these books look like they are going there and staying there in terms of price climbs.

1 hour ago, Jonathan78 said:

Has anyone seen a Special Missions without the marvel logo on the top corner box. Is it a 2nd print. Not marked in the indica.

A3E30822-6EEA-4E78-9A2C-60610723EDC2.jpeg

92AB1FA8-4507-443B-A477-AD476BC024B9.jpeg

No, that’s really odd. And to my knowledge they never reprinted any of the special missions issues?

2 hours ago, Jonathan78 said:

Has anyone seen a Special Missions without the marvel logo on the top corner box. Is it a 2nd print. Not marked in the indica.

A3E30822-6EEA-4E78-9A2C-60610723EDC2.jpeg

92AB1FA8-4507-443B-A477-AD476BC024B9.jpeg

ComicBookRealm refers to it as a variant:

Direct Market misprint 
Marvel Logo missing above Dukes head

On 2/5/2021 at 3:48 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

Got this during the last Clink auction.  TPB of ARAH 3, 6, and 7.  Census: 1 graded copy, this one.  Just stumbled on it.  Anyone know the backstory?  Its Marvel, but I have never seen it before.

GI Joe Trojan 101 January 31, 2021.jpg

SWEET!  I have a raw copy somewhere but it is not in the best of shape.  If you ever want to part with this you let me know :) .

Edited by Silent Master
a mistake

20 hours ago, Silent Master said:

I don't think its a 2nd print, just a printing error.  I have several copies - newsstand and direct - and they are all identical.  Here are my 3 CGC versions, CGC recognizes it as a logo variant. (sorry about the sideways pic :) )

1864080850_SM179.8SSlogovar.thumb.jpg.156278c9f1e3f5288d4a8b31560234e9.jpg1027099945_SM179_8reg.thumb.jpg.269e7509e99c94b4f46efd9dd220f869.jpg2005398046_SM17X3CGC.thumb.jpg.2f49e34c03a55b471bea654bdfcaf31f.jpg

Your collection amazes me! every time you show something it's the pinnacle of that issue...:applause:

do you have a pic of that special missions #1 with the sketch by Zeck handy?

For those eagerly anticipating the Lady Jaye series on Amazon, Herb Trimpe's Lady Jaye Order of Battle #1 Pin-up will be coming up for sale in Heritage's March 8th Weekly auction... keep your eyes peeled for it. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/herb-trimpe-and-joe-delbeato-gi-joe-order-of-battle-1-illustration-original-art-marvel-/p/122111-112001.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by comiconxion

On 2/5/2021 at 4:48 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

Got this during the last Clink auction.  TPB of ARAH 3, 6, and 7.  Census: 1 graded copy, this one.  Just stumbled on it.  Anyone know the backstory?  Its Marvel, but I have never seen it before.

GI Joe Trojan 101 January 31, 2021.jpg

I got the book yesterday from Comiclink, to put it in a perspective with regard to size, here is a picture with your standard copper age book:

2B1EE5F1-DCFC-4596-AA84-8E365B07C708.jpeg

6 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

I got the book yesterday from Comiclink, to put it in a perspective with regard to size, here is a picture with your standard copper age book:

2B1EE5F1-DCFC-4596-AA84-8E365B07C708.jpeg

That's pretty cool and unique.  Good find!

I got this Hildebrandt Brothers painting that was used for a lithograph and I was pretty certain blondie is Duke...and then I started reading Marvel G.I. Joe and now I’m sitting here thinking...spoon is that Hawk? Early Hawk looks way too much like Duke. 

I’d still assume it’s Duke but seeing Scarlett and Snake Eyes running around with Hawk in the early issues I’m still a little 🤷‍♂️.

BDFD0295-38A0-4D90-A43D-1561BA9E175C.jpeg

14 hours ago, Mephisto said:

I got this Hildebrandt Brothers painting that was used for a lithograph and I was pretty certain blondie is Duke...and then I started reading Marvel G.I. Joe and now I’m sitting here thinking...spoon is that Hawk? Early Hawk looks way too much like Duke. 

I’d still assume it’s Duke but seeing Scarlett and Snake Eyes running around with Hawk in the early issues I’m still a little 🤷‍♂️.

Pretty sure that is Duke.  But can understand the uncertainty.  In the early books, they did look a lot a like as they both did have the blonde hair.  Later Hawk was portrayed with brown hair (IIRC).

That is still a cool painting!!  

On 4/2/2021 at 11:05 PM, Mephisto said:

I would guess Duke, even though the uniform is wrong. Cool to have, congrats! 🙂