• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, jdw1991 said:

Very cool that the #9 had the tattooz insert.  Just noticed other books that month had them too other than ASM and FF.

I didn’t know that either, now I need to check mine 🙂

Hello to all

I didn’t know it had it until purchase. I remember my ASM 238 having it back in the day. Maybe all releases from that month had them, I wouldn’t know this for sure, but ASM 238 and FF 252 had it advertised on the cover.

Just found something on MCS that, at least what they have, do have them. ‘Tattooz Insert Variant’ as it’s written. 

Edited by Ceito

On 6/13/2021 at 1:21 PM, jdw1991 said:

Did they all have them or was it random?

I just checked mine and found (to my surprise) that I have two copies. Neither of them have the insert though. The MCS description mentions they were randomly inserted in this issue, FWIW.

Throughout most of the 70s, the regular GI Joe line was pivoted to the "Adventure Team" line of Joes which focused more on Joes in nature, the jungles and such. This was due largely to negative public opinion of the Vietnam War; Hasbro wanted to distance the original war theme of the GI Joe line. The big military relaunch of Joes as 3 3/4 inch figures in 82 alongside the comic and (shortly thereafter) cartoon series was a direct response to Kenner's massive success with the Star Wars toyline.

On 10/31/2021 at 1:17 PM, OV said:

I just got the awesome G.I.Joe Special issue!  Several years ago I met the awesome artist Scott Koblish at a comic con.  He's the inker on the Special issue.  I asked him to sketch a version of Snake Eyes similar to the cover image.  I also thought "what if Storm Shadow was on an opposite ledge from Snake Eyes?" so I asked him to also create Stormy in this pose.  It's amazing to see these all side by side!  Mr. Koblish is a great guy too, very engaging and easy to talk to.  I appreciate him and hope to meet him again one day.  Now you know! 

Gi Joe three (2).jpeg

Those look great!  Congrats!

I just got the awesome G.I.Joe Special issue!  Several years ago I met the awesome artist Scott Koblish at a comic con.  He's the inker on the Special issue.  I asked him to sketch a version of Snake Eyes similar to the cover image.  I also thought "what if Storm Shadow was on an opposite ledge from Snake Eyes?" so I asked him to also create Stormy in this pose.  It's amazing to see these all side by side!  Mr. Koblish is a great guy too, very engaging and easy to talk to.  I appreciate him and hope to meet him again one day.  Now you know! 

Gi Joe three (2).jpeg

Wow, those are gorgeous!

On 10/31/2021 at 12:17 PM, OV said:

Gi Joe three (2).jpeg

Yes! DEDICATION!

On 10/31/2021 at 10:17 AM, OV said:

Gi Joe three (2).jpeg

Awesome! I second that. Koblish is a great guy. I had him and Larry Hama sign my special at wondercon a few years ago. I still think it's the greatest Spidey 1 homage and one of the first.

Gi Joe three (2).jpeg

Impressive 3 book matching display😷👍‼️🎶

On 11/3/2021 at 8:30 PM, grendelbo said:

I think G.I. Joe may have been the first series I pretty consistently bought off the racks. And this was before I was a comicbook collector.

I followed the series until I outgrew the toys and the cartoon. I had quite a run including reprints of earlier issues.

Never did have an issue 1 until about 15 years back. I found it back issue bin diving. This one shop had about a half-dozen, all VF/NM, all priced the same - $8.

I picked out the cherry copy and now, upon retrospect, I know I should've bought them all. It's uber high grade, nearly flawless. And it's one of the only issues I still have (along with the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow intro and origins).

1834549138_G.I_Joe1.thumb.jpg.1020a66b3af26915404d1c121ff952a2.jpg

^^ Go Joe!

On 11/3/2021 at 9:30 PM, grendelbo said:

I think G.I. Joe may have been the first series I pretty consistently bought off the racks. And this was before I was a comicbook collector.

I followed the series until I outgrew the toys and the cartoon. I had quite a run including reprints of earlier issues.

Never did have an issue 1 until about 15 years back. I found it back issue bin diving. This one shop had about a half-dozen, all VF/NM, all priced the same - $8.

I picked out the cherry copy and now, upon retrospect, I know I should've bought them all. It's uber high grade, nearly flawless. And it's one of the only issues I still have (along with the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow intro and origins).

1834549138_G.I_Joe1.thumb.jpg.1020a66b3af26915404d1c121ff952a2.jpg

Now we know it was the first series you collected, and knowing is half the battle! 

On 11/19/2021 at 2:59 PM, StingerMcK said:

Posted in 'Back from CGC' thread but wanted to show in this thread as well!

These are back from JoeFest and I'm so happy to have a Rudant sig on a Cobra Sigil.

1338942195_cobrasig.thumb.jpg.f14ab8b125722b267c58d401b8afeb83.jpg

joe_br.thumb.jpg.d5d3f73b1bbefb7330603025399c4eef.jpg

That Cobra Sigil cover is great!  Congrats.

I got to meet Robert Atkins back in 2013!  He was one of the reason I got back into collecting GI Joe.

DYizV2_04loB0NeV2apIPp2utswPy5TQ0Rh6IY0GV1oOFF7IDSXC2NhIUcTODLmw7RgCnf8IrQp8RDujMGxQkVcLv4lXyLcoudF30pw4Bj4s7Pn1n6yGri7yDHxb3YcLlQj4CJOyL9VbO_S6gPGx25viNmlOQxwIsN33AtDQZyBHBdwrWcn_u0yOfaM7ONClFreCGW0gzDrIfTmYtGQhuUWEGWbw2Pe3q1z3z2qndXefYWaNcFtQ_l0HZOg89OVGTPsOh_UmQrEwujqWKDt2RRwbftCLYXAPU9oNZOTNchYTrI-aqijDuDOGjB8a0cDD9v5ZhCPgsEOv9Qwzu8vESBdZTvrMiczkEpKvAmH9nAB0yF8ayRmvken5gY2f_wf41ue_IZq7RZwzccn8B3-xm1ORNbRblS9B3HuGV8tlQrTXVjvV6pesF_LNCH3avj028O7TpbNAQA1mlBTow3wwf6CMETXGfl8ZwoEuG2NqG5YaRSdUfszxkNDxyRohMT7BTjmQKoUPO0jkLpoCDIxcr7JAN3d977fzs096rwdJs9OlKFBWG_6sutfi-l1Cs2ZZhyKJuQKPx5dq7vmEgzfW55982gYA38j4cXk1HZWfo6lbkqjz4nCVh1e_IvKnKxrz6-O2IjsMtYGUTv0dPKe2vfx0ySlzZOpGZxIDSOjIMpUihXjjC3RbEHYA3KZNJWzVwU8ywJbXHdqoNxhL8yXGQJo=w239-h320-no?authuser=0