• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing SPider-man 124

40 posts in this topic

Well, If you guys are feeling ignored you grin.gif can email me and have you hurl expletives at your low offers shocked.gif . Or maybe if I'm in a good mood (Not often per Gene but then again when have we ever sat and really talked - kiss kiss, smooch smooch) I might even accept your offers.

I bought one book from Josh and had no problems - a VG+ FF 1. Great book with a nice white cover, and a phone call or two is all it took to close the deal. I also got good follow-up service when I requested they provide me with a statement that, in their opinion, the book was unrestored.

I have bought dozens of books from Josh at Comiclink and have sold a handful through him. All of my experiences have been good to excellent.

Oh and I have NEVER paid list price for a book so I have to agree with gman that it can be done. You just can't offer pennies on the dollar or expect a discount on the hottest books on the market. Look for books that have been sitting for a few months and make a respectable offer. Odds are very good, you will find a favorable response.

I don't know...that ASM #122 CGC 9.4 is still listed and, weeks later, I still haven't heard from Josh whether that is my book listed in the first place and, if so, whether he acknowledges receipt of my e-mail telling him to cancel the listing.

It's just ridiculous that he can ignore all of my e-mails. Given the legal ramifications of entering into a contract with ComicLink to sell the book, it would be nice to get some acknowledgement from Josh one way or another.

I think I would have a pretty good case in court to deny the existence of a contract:

1. ComicLink never acknowledged receipt of my sales submission form sent on 10/26

2. Book showed up on the site on 10/29, but at a different price than I specified

3. ComicLink did not answer e-mails asking whether it was indeed my book and, if so, why the price was not what I specified

4. ComicLink did not acknowledge receipt of my final e-mail telling them to remove the listing

This is just awful customer service no matter how you slice it. Either someone else listed the same book at a higher price and my listing was ignored or the book was listed at a different price and the seller ignored all my subsequent e-mails volunteering scans, asking to adjust the price, and finally to cancel the listing.

Gene

Weird, I agree. It's pretty poor to leave "bidders" on the line so to speak. Sure they have some 3-day clause but if I'm looking for a book, do I really want to offer 400-500, 1,000 dollars? and then just sit and wait? I mean at those prices some people may have to stop looking for the book and wait the 3 days so they don't end up being oligated to buy the copy from Comiclink and one they found a day or two after they placed the bid. Btw, my experience with bidding has been poor at best. I usually bid below list price by 10-20 dollars at most on 400-500 dollar comics..the reason for this is to save the surcharge on C.C. usage..but I have never once gotten a response frown.gif

Brian

ComicLink's on my sh-t-list. I received consistently over-graded books from their consigners back in the pre-CGC days - to the point where I opted never to order a non-CGC book from them again.

My CGC listings are still missing their pics, which I sent to ComicLink about three months ago. I've e-mailed them twice about it - nothing. In that time, none of my books have gotten so much as a bid, despite that fact that they're reasonably priced in relation to other books on the site.

The one CGC book I placed a bid on was a $450 list price that had been unsold for over a year (it's over-priced, as are most of ComicLink's books). I bid $300, which was low, but not unreasonable, IMO. No response... no counter-offer - nothing.

I'm starting to think it's personal at this point. Maybe some of you have had a good experience with ComicLink, but I've had consistently bad experiences on all fronts.

Back to topic, ASM #124 is an under-valued book, IMO. The first Man-Wolf may not be a notable bronze key, but it IS a Spider-Man key from that period. The character did have his own book at one point. Two grand seems outrageous for a 9.6, but $500 or so doesn't.

I dunno about that. For $500, you could easily snag a ASM #136 (First Harry Osborn as Green Goblin), which is a much more solid investment, IMO. I'd keep hunting before I shell out that kind of money on Man-Wolf.

As far as ComicLink goes, I used to check their site all the time,b ut haven't because, likeyou said, the books are usually overpriced.

Chris

I wouldn't personally pay $500 for a 9.6 ASM #124, but it wouldn't seem too out of line if someone did, IMO. Yes, ASM #136 is under-valued - and with the storyline the movies are developing, it could rise - but #124 is a true first appearance. It's a potential break out should Man-Wolf ever get another regular book, a movie, or a TV show. All of which aren't out of the question.

ASM #136 is just another Goblin story, IMO. If movie-Harry becomes the Hobgoblin, you'll see ASM #238 rise before ASM #136.

I see your point about true 1st appearances. But, IMO, ASM #136 is one of the best Goblin covers ever. I used to have a great copy years ago (bought it for like $4) but traded it a couple of years later in the "Great Comics for Beer Money at College" fiasco that still makes me cry. frown.gif

Chris

I think I said a 9.6 (or at least thats waht I ment). I was just telling BT that for $500, I think he'd be better off with the #136. You're a HG Spidey collector. What do you think?

Hypothetical Situation:

$500 burning a hole in your pocket, and you walk into the local store. In the display case are a ASM #124 CGC 9.6, and an ASM #136 CGC 9.6, two issues you already have. You wanna make an ebay "flip" for a couple of extra bucks. Which do you buy? Gotta pick one. (And don't say something like, Spidey books aren't selling like they used to. Let's assume they are.)

Chris

Well first, an ASM 124 9.6 sells for 200-300 dollars, they're talking about an ASM 124 9.8..I believe.

Anyways, I would rather have ASM 136 b/c I am a huge G.G. fan. As far as what I think would be a better buy in that range..I'd say 136 is near the top. 148, 149, and 150 would be good buys too IMO.

Brian

Given your hypothetical, I'd say the short-term favors the #136. If I were planning to resell within a year or so, that's the one I'd choose, too.

The long-term favors the #124, IMO. There will probably come a day where straight book value on it is higher than ASM #136. Consider which bronze first appearances of title characters HAVEN'T broken out - there aren't very many.

I don't think I recall Man-Wolf being as well received a character as you think of it. The series was a mini-series at best, which may generate some interest..but if anything was going to go to any kind of deals (i.e. new book, tv show, movie, etc) it would be Werewolf by Night as it's a better character.

Brian

Man-Wolf was no more or less well-received than Morbius at one point. Or Deathlok. Or Blade. True, he's a 3rd-tier character at best, but he had his own book... revivals in Marvel Premiere... guest shots in Spider-Man. Honestly, you could name similar 70's characters whose 1st appearances HAVEN'T broken out of the pack on one hand.

I happen to prefer Werewolf By Night, too - but those books have already reached a large part of their potential dollar-wise. 1st Man-Wolf is still a sleeper, IMO.

"1st Man-Wolf is still a sleeper, IMO. "

can't consider a book from the early 70's a sleeper, whatever movement that book had has already happened. a weak character, therefore not a huge back issue demand. you say there are not many books from the bronze age not broken out, i think you need to go back and check your 70's spideys, plenty of first apps of lame-o characters that have never been sought after.

the ASM #136 is definately the book to go for, although for $500 i would rather pick up a ditko spidey in a lower grade.