• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most Valuable comic you own?

223 posts in this topic

cap467-1-1.jpg

This cover is unbelieveable....I've always been amazed by the holocaust covers..they must have really struck a note with the readers back then... Especially since most of the artists/publishers of the time were Jewish, and probably a lot of the readers as well...being jewish myself it still makes me cringe to see it, even though I'm sure you wouldn't have to be jewish to cringe at that cover anyway...

Great books... :golfclap:

Thank you - I feel the same way. What are the other holocaust covers you are referring to?

cap467-1-1.jpg

This cover is unbelieveable....I've always been amazed by the holocaust covers..they must have really struck a note with the readers back then... Especially since most of the artists/publishers of the time were Jewish, and probably a lot of the readers as well...being jewish myself it still makes me cringe to see it, even though I'm sure you wouldn't have to be jewish to cringe at that cover anyway...

Thank you - I feel the same way. What are the other holocaust covers you are referring to?

Well I guess its really only this one that I've seen before..not sure if there are others...

cap467-1-1.jpg

Well I guess its really only this one that I've seen before..not sure if there are others...

It's the most direct reference.

Real Life #3 depicts a concentration camp. link

Clue Comics #7 shows a line of men with numbers tattooed on their backs. link

cap467-1-1.jpg

It's the most direct reference.

Real Life #3 depicts a concentration camp. link

Clue Comics #7 shows a line of men with numbers tattooed on their backs. link

Thanks for the info. The Real Life 3 is pretty direct. I'm not so sure about the Clue Comics being a holocaust reference, but it is interesting nonetheless.

My most valuable book - it's the one my 5 year old daughter asks me to read to her:

3Dcomics.jpg

Great choice George! :applause:

Thanks - Roy (One of the best (thumbs u ) gave me a great price in Chicago when I said who it was for.

I am in the same boat as mark, sometimes...when you own a comic that is worth/cost say $10,000 or $50,000 or even $100,000+, no matter what kind of a collector you are, you have an "investment"...and sometimes, no matter what kind of attachment a book has to you, the financial aspect comes into play (such as Mark paying off his credit)....

now, if say, you bought that book for a dime, back in 1956, maybe a different story...but, for the collector/investor (and we are kidding ourselves if you own any book in the 4 figure or more range that you paid that for and don't think you have an investment/are an investor), sometimes the reality is the book would mean more to you "sold" with $'s in the bank, than sitting in one's collection!

So it was a case of; "I've got an opportunity to buy a HG key book, I've got the money, and as a serious collector, I'm suppose to have one...Why the hell not! "

But alas, things change!

(thumbs u

I don't get a good bit of it myself- we are an eclectic lot.

But I am curious as to what your collecting mentality is? Your philosophy, and how it differs.

Not really the thread to discuss things like this.

Maybe another time or place?

If you don't mind me asking :shy:, why has this got no special value for you?

I can tell from your posts in the Golden Age section that you concentrate primarily on that era. But I would think that as a serious collector, as you obviously are, the Holy Grail of Silver Age keys would still take pride of place in your collection.

Just asking!

(I personally can't stand Silver Age DCs. But then again, I'm Australian, what the hell do I know!)

Probably because I can think of better things I can do with the money were this book to sell (like pay off my home equity line of credit!!!), i.e., it just doesn't have the attachment it used to. I've owned it for four years already. The pride is still there, but not beaming pride. Time to share the love with someone else! ;)

(thumbs u

I don't get it.. but that's OK, I probably don't have the same collecting mentality that most of the guys/girls on this forum have. I don't 'get' you lot most of the time.

(shrug)

I am in the same boat as mark, sometimes...when you own a comic that is worth/cost say $10,000 or $50,000 or even $100,000+, no matter what kind of a collector you are, you have an "investment"...and sometimes, no matter what kind of attachment a book has to you, the financial aspect comes into play (such as Mark paying off his credit)....

now, if say, you bought that book for a dime, back in 1956, maybe a different story...but, for the collector/investor (and we are kidding ourselves if you own any book in the 4 figure or more range that you paid that for and don't think you have an investment/are an investor), sometimes the reality is the book would mean more to you "sold" with $'s in the bank, than sitting in one's collection!

(thumbs u

One thing that I have always found as well is that the thrill of the hunt is gone after you finally have a book you always wanted in hand. I find that when I finally land a grail/desired book it is usually gone within a year. Granted, I was primarily a late SA/early BA collector up until this year, but even with the Tec #28 it was nice to have it but the shine wore off the longer it just sat in the box. It is fun to just unload everything and start again to see if you can build a better collection in the same amount of time.

I love how only the art on the Superman one matches up with the title :)

AshcanSuperFamily.jpg

What exactly are those?

I think they're ashcans..previews of upcoming comics used by the publishers before the actual book comes out...

To protect copyrights.

Trademarks.

See page 1040 of the current Overstreet guide.

Thanks Mark...never got that far in reading my guide...but I have now! (thumbs u