• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sigs on books

15 posts in this topic

OK I'm sure this has already been hashed out somewhere but I'm curious...what is your opinion of signed comics? Do signatures help or hurt the value of books? Let's limit this to Golden Age stuff only. I'm looking for your honest opinions on this. Take this one from 1940 that I've picked up recently

colossus.jpg

This was signed by all contributors and was the publisher's son's copy. Do you think the sigs add a little or a lot. Or would it be worth more without them? Thoughts?

I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder. Someone may be willing to pay more if they desired the signatures - someone else may see them as a distraction and harm the value of the book. I have a GA high-grade Batman that was signed by Bob Kane on the inside first page (at least that's what Rob Roter at Pacific has said), and some may see it as adding value, and others may not. It's really a tough call. Too bad you can't take these books thru CGC Signature service - that would probably help, but they only authenticate signatures they witness, I believe. And getting authentication on as many signatures as you have would be tough. I guess you have to take it for what it is. Again, it's all in the eye of the beholder. But it's pretty cool to own a book like this one!! That's my two cents worth...

I posted about this over a year ago (just in general - not GA specific) but my opinion remins the same:

I am not a sig fan except under a circumstance where the signature had something to do with the original production/distribution of the book. For example, if Bill Gaines brought into the Crypt a frsh-off-the-press copy of Tales From The Crypt and said "Hey folks! Here it is! Let's all sign it!" - well, if that provenance could be proven I would love that book. But a copy signed years after the book was made, because the artist or writer happened to be at a con signing when someone had a copy of their book - well - it leaves me cold.

But remember - that is just me!

I remember in my other hobby - 30's/40's horror/sci-fi type movie posters and lobby cards, someone asked if they would pay more for an original 1931 Frankenstein with Karloff's sig on it - I replied unless the sig was relevant to the publication of the poster and not made years later I would pay more but if not - would not want it. I got thoroughly attacked for that (same as I did here with my comic perception) but stick by my guns.

If a sig happens years later and is just happensatnce - well - to ME (emphasis on ME) it means nothing. But that is not a qualitative statement as much as a personal perception.

I can understand that. That is what I like about this book. All of them signed it in the year of publication and has a provenance linked to the publisher's family. I think this may be the earliest known signed comic that contains vintage signatures. Does anyone know of an earlier comic that was signed in the year of its publication?

Mickey Mouse Magazine Vol. 1 #1 (1935) is a book that in some cases was autographed by the editiors and given away to those who subscribed to one year subscriptions. I think the Colossus Comics #1 is great as you can't get any closer to the publishers then this.

Tom,

To me, those signatures (example below) and similiar markings make the books more desirable but I am pretty sure that I am a minority. My answer would be that the names on the book definitely add to the value but only if you can find a collector of that title/publisher who is interested in its history.

CE_M3-2_s.jpg

mmv32_s.jpg

Personally I enjoy seeing these types of books as the I find the history to be very interesting. I loved seeing the Mickey Mouse Magazine file copies when they were sold a number of years back.

I am a big sigs fan. I love that Colossus and I would definitely pay a premium for having it. It is obvious that you have the providence to back it.

I appreciate POV's view but I have no issue with sigs that are applied long after production. In my own case, I am not a huge fan of sigs on important covers as the market does not treat those books kindly on resale (not that I would ever sell them....but you never know what emergencies will happen in life). That is one of the reasons why I have started to get into production art and in particular getting sigs on proof covers.

Now in general...most artists never saw the proof covers and in general most proof covers were destroyed....recently a guy that I buy a lot of proof covers from took a whole swag of them to the San Diego con and took them up to Adams....in the end he spent over an hour with Neal reliving the creation of each one of the covers, as a result I now have over a dozen one off pieces signed by Adam's and Wrightson. cloud9.gif

I....recently a guy that I buy a lot of proof covers from took a whole swag of them to the San Diego con and took them up to Adams....in the end he spent over an hour with Neal reliving the creation of each one of the covers, as a result I now have over a dozen one off pieces signed by Adam's and Wrightson. cloud9.gif

That is awesome thumbsup2.gif I appreciate everyone's comments on this topic.

About twenty years ago at the SD Con, a dealer friend of mine noticed Bob Kane walking through the dealer room on his way to a panel. My friend grabbed his copy of Batman #4 off his board, and asked Kane to sign it as he passed his table. Kane grabbed the book, removed a black felt pen from his pocket, and before my friend could say another word, scrawled BOB KANE in big letters across the front cover.

My friend was speechless. Ugliest signature you've ever seen.

I'm not a big sig fan. I like a nice, clean book.

That Bob Kane story freaks me out..but the way those sigs are on your colossus comic don't bother me. they enhance the value and history of that book for me.A truly rare and cool book cool.gif Your lucky to have a book like that,hold on to it and ENJOY!!!

I can understand that. That is what I like about this book. All of them signed it in the year of publication and has a provenance linked to the publisher's family. I think this may be the earliest known signed comic that contains vintage signatures. Does anyone know of an earlier comic that was signed in the year of its publication?

Now that's pretty cool! It is a rarity for sure but what I love about certain sigs. The sigs themselves are as much history as the book. thumbsup2.gif