• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goon appreciation thread :)
5 5

1,060 posts in this topic

just re-read the whole run (avatar, albatross and dark horse) and WOW!! Great book :) It has climbed up my fav moderns list to number 3 (behind Invincible and RASL)..that's right..ABOVE walking dead :o

seriously, though...awesome book..just wondering how many cats out there read this sweet book...also, curious to know if there are any other Goon-like gems out there i might not have heard of before...Goon is so unlike any other book i read, so it makes me wonder what else might be out there hm

GOON RULES!! :headbang:

still unsure about your run :) just read trade paperbacks 0-4 and then the single issues...

and no, i haven't read chinatown hm

I got your "unsure" right here, buddy! :censored:

Besides, there's always room for negotiation. :foryou:

And reading Chinatown is mandatory. The amazing part is how Eric knew what was going to happen in Chinatown years ago when he first started The Goon. Goon has a nightmare about it in the very first issue (or was it the second?). I find it fascinating that the story gestated in his mind for almost 10 years before he actually penned Chinatown.

must....find....chinatown

oh, and check your PMs ;)

You can find Chinatown for $13-$16 on eBay. I heard from his assistant (possibly his wife?) at DragonCon that Eric and Dark Horse may have to do a second printing of the book due to how well sales were going. I actually bought the very last copy that the Dark Horse booth had brought to the con (Eric was sold out of 'em before the convention).

Had to get that baby signed and sketched!

I read your PM and will think it over when I'm less sleepy and can think straighter. zzz

Goon is the only title I buy regularly.

I would even pay over cover price for some of the earlier dark horse issues as I only got started in the mid/late teens -- this says a lot of a cheap guy like me!

I've always thought the Goon was just a more comedic Hellboy. I love both and I'm not saying Eric Powell is barrowing from anyone, just some similar elements around a big tough guy.

Hellboy and the Goon are both tough guys, but one is a hero and the other is a ruthless gangster. Hellboy is awesome, but I've found the Goon to be better for a while now. Not just that the funny moments are more laughable, but the jokes are varied. It's also a comic that isn't just for laughs - there's a very dark side to the book that gives a really unique contrast to the humor.

Hey guys,

I have never read Goon, but I am thinking about starting. Do any of you mind listing all the Goon issues so I can go try and find them. I would rather have the floppies than the the trades.

I just read the "25 cent goon" last week and loved it. Time to start looking for some TPB's. :headbang:

Agreed. Start with #0. Early, rough, but where it all begins.

Powell really hits his stride starting with the Dark Horse issues. The first 12 or so are amazing...each issue is a stand-along story he tweaks his art style to fit each one. The mix of horror, adventure, pathos, and comedy is handled perfectly. Highest recommendation!