• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

worth it in 9.6?

13 posts in this topic

in attempting to organize my collection i stumbled across a long box of spidey BA I had forgotten about...

much to my surprise, a bunch of these were really sharp

and i'm considering putting together a big stack for my very first pre-screen

we're talking about issues from like one fifties to the two teens (152 - 219 or so)

is getting anything back less than 9.8 a waste of dough in terms of resale?

honestly, i think most of these can pass as 9.6ses, not as sure about 9.8s

not key issues, but multiples of 157, 158 through 209...212...that sort of stuff.

what about 9.4?

just curious, i have never made a submission before.

I often see sellers putting up 9.4 ungraded copies for about $30 to $40.

Alas, what one puts said book up for may be a far cry from what it will actually sell for.....

so this sort of stuff goes for $50 in 9.6? even in the low 200s?

in attempting to organize my collection i stumbled across a long box of spidey BA I had forgotten about...

we're talking about issues from like one fifties to the two teens (152 - 219 or so)

It's definitely worth the pre-screen for 9.6s. Especially since they should all qualify for the modern price tier. But 9.4s probably wouldn't be worth it.

The way I look at grading books, especially for resale is...what do you think you could realistically get for the book raw? Say $20. The grading fee is roughly $20 (including shipping), so can you get more than $40 for the book if graded? If yes, go ahead and slab. If not, sell raw.

I would think that for 9.6/9.8 candidates, it'd be worth it to slab, since buyers may not want to pay the 9.6 premium for raw books.

I think I'd be somewhat selective even with the pre-screens.

It would be a good idea to pre-screen the following issues for 9.6 or better:

150-162

174-180

In 9.4, the only issue that returned the raw cost + slabbing + shipping cost has been ASM 194.

With regard to 9.6, very few issues between 150-220 will get you more than $60.

9.8 is a different story altogether. the ASM 194 in 9.8 would be considered hitting the jackpot.

honestly, i think most of these can pass as 9.6ses, not as sure about 9.8s

not key issues, but multiples of 157, 158 through 209...212...that sort of stuff.

what about 9.4?

just curious, i have never made a submission before.

I have a #150 and #151--both 9.6 (OWW)--currently in ComicLink's Focused Auction. I had them in my collection since probably the late '70s/early '80s and just recently submitted them. The #150 even had a 70 cent sticker price on its bag--the price I paid. :whatthe:

Because of its black cover and census figures, the #151 can get nutty, price-wise. Some very helpful forumites predicted I could expect anywhere from 500-700 bills for the #151 which thrills me because the funds for it will help me fill in early holes in my ASM set (:gossip: And I have an undercopy in VF so I won't leave any holes in my set). The #150 might get between 200 and 300, but I simply don't know what they'll both get. Currently the #151 is at 336.00 and the #151 is at 71.00 and there's 4 days left in the auction.

I'm also waiting on #141, 147, 157, and 161 from CGC. If any are 9.6, I'll likely sell but will likely keep any 9.4s or below.

I'm pretty excited this evening...my ASM #150 in 9.6 went for 211.00 in the ComicLink Focused Auction--which is nothing to write home about, but a good chunk of change for me. However, the #151 in 9.6 went for 705.00. :banana: Time to pop some bubbly of some sort. Ginger ale? :shrug: