• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RED RAVEN #1 WANTED!!

17 posts in this topic

Wihout a doubt, Red Raven is the toughest Timely book in grade. No pedigree collection ever turned out a true high grade of this book. The Larson is VG+, The Mile High is VF to VF-, No Denver, No Allentown, No San Fran, No Penn copy.

I always thought that honor went to the ill-recieved

Tough Kid Squad

No, I do not have either one of the Annuals. I have mixed feelings about those considering they are reprints and for Canadian distribution. I'd love to have them but they are not high on my "to get" list.

Timely

New to this board, saw the RED RAVEN topic and was curious enough to want to post. I have my Dad's golden age collection, and along with numerous Marvel Mystery numbers under 15, I've got a Red Raven #1. Of course, these comics were designed for reading, so I only even bagged them five years ago. The Red Raven is "fair" (well, it's still got a cover, coming off) at best. The thought has come up in the family to see what we could get for a few of these, and keep the bulk as family heirlooms. My question for people interested in this market is,

(1) How many Red Ravens are there out there? An Overstreet Guide from 10 years ago claimed there were only 13 in existence, but since you're talking about 16 in this thread that's obviously not the case.

(2) Where do we go to find bottom-feeders, i.e., people who are interested in non-mint, obviously used copies that have been well read? We have some very rare titles (almost all Timely) that I'm curious about floating (Human Torch/Sub-Mariner team-up, etc.) but they're certainly not museum quality. Is there any subgroup that likes 'em a little shopworn and reads 'em to their kids?

(3) This may be a little off topic, but what strategies should I use to keep these comics in good shape? I'm told the bags I bagged 'em in have now been replaced by better stuff, and there are rumors I've heard about de-acidification and whatnot. Could anyone recommend to me a site or a group that would have the latest info on this?

To sum up, I do have a Red Raven #1 in marginal condition, and I'm curious on how this all works.

Thanks.

Steps:

1) For comics you want to keep for heirloom purposes, go here: http://www.egerber.com/ and buy Golden Age supplies. Others on here can give more specific advice once they know your needs.

2) If you want to sell, make sure you have a good scanner. Trying to get opinions on condition or listing on auctions is difficult without one, and it's really the first step to online transactions.

3) Once you get a good idea on condition and demand from the forum faithful, then you can determine if the potential EBay/Heritage proceeds will be worth it, as compared to the book's inherent/family worth.

4) If it pans out, then decide which avenue to use (EBay, Heritage, Forum, etc.), as today it's never been easier to sell online, cut out the middleman/dealer, and recoup the entire proceeds. This is your best profit margin, but you save time by going through a dealer, but you will get less.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the boards! One of the things about collecting Golden Age comics is no one really knows how many copies of a specific book has survived. It's fun to speculate on and a book like Red Raven is scarce however many copies exist (less than 100 I'd say).

Sure, there are people who buy lower-grade, shopworn copies. Those never sell for as much as high-grade copies but sometimes collectors have to take what they can get if they want a scarce book. It's probably the only way I'd ever be able to own Red Raven. Good luck!