• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,895 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2021 at 2:26 PM, Randall Ries said:

Finally. Found a nice looking raw of #222. Neal Adams and Paul McCartney are both 80. Neither will last forever. When either of them passes, this book is going to become almost like HOS 92. Not that I wish for it, of course. Just this book is getting harder to find in good shape in the wild.

1507724372_Bat222Front.thumb.jpg.9c344a9c4995003b1f4ba027877ffd89.jpg

Interesting ... I had never seen this cover before.  Thanks for posting.

On 10/25/2021 at 5:52 PM, Zed Zed said:

HOS 92 has a significant 1st appearance and beautiful art inside. Batman 222 has neither. You'd be better off buying a Batman 227 if you're only buying for the cover.

Got 227 already. My point was the crossover thing between comic book fans and Beatles fans. Sometimes the cover DOES make the book. Plus, the "Paul Is Dead" thing still lives. Watch what happens to this book when Paul really IS dead. See if you can find a decent copy of Bat 222 for sale. My 227:

Bat 227 8.0 Front.jpg

Edited by Randall Ries

On 10/25/2021 at 6:52 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thanks?

If I ever want to browse the full history of Batman covers I know where to go ... that's just never been something I wanted to do.

I was actually surprised when you mentioned you had never seen the cover before. Happens to me sometimes. Always cool to see a nice cover in a popular title I never saw before.

On 10/25/2021 at 9:02 PM, Randall Ries said:

I was actually surprised when you mentioned you had never seen the cover before. Happens to me sometimes. Always cool to see a nice cover in a popular title I never saw before.

I don't collect DC, and of course the big DC titles have a very long history, so there are probably lots of covers I've never seen, or at least never stared at and memorized like the books I do collect.  I don't think I'm saying anything too controversial (or particularly novel) by saying that the Neal Adams run features some of the best covers in Batman's entire history -- so I am certainly familiar with a handful of generally recognized keys like #227, 232, 234, and 251 -- though to be honest, I had no idea what the issue numbers were on those without consulting that handy link above. lol  But while I think the cover to #222 is a really interesting oddity, it's never been on my radar because it's not really a "key" in the strictest sense.

I'm in no position to speculate on your prediction that #222 is going to jump in value when Paul McCartney finally passes away -- who knows, you may be right, but that's a bit too morbid for me.  :angel:

On 10/25/2021 at 10:09 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

But while I think the cover to #222 is a really interesting oddity, it's never been on my radar because it's not really a "key" in the strictest sense.

I'm in no position to speculate on your prediction that #222 is going to jump in value when Paul McCartney finally passes away -- who knows, you may be right, but that's a bit too morbid for me.  :angel:

I agree with you. Bat 222 isn't a key. Yet. LOL! And perhaps it never should be. 227 has become a "key" because of the Detective 33 homage and that black cover which makes it harder to find in decent grade. And yet, neither one are key books in the sense of a first appearance or the death of a character.

It isn't the collector - I suppose - that makes these sort of outlier books "keys". It's the sellers who demand high prices and point out "Well, now Paul really IS dead! You MUST HAVE THIS BOOK NOW! ALL THE BEATLES ARE GONE NOW!" and collectors do the walking dead shuffle toward the noisy sellers.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:27 PM, Number 6 said:

Just snagged this on Monday. It has the printing artifact on the front cover that is typical for this issue (my Whitman copy has it to a more severe degree but more towards the right edge).  Still, for $40 I couldn’t pass it up, though it makes me question whether it’s worth slabbing my other raw issues in in the series. 

54853A50-386D-4E4F-A052-085500D5E5C8.thumb.jpeg.15f1bb4287fc3f1c864f7303b3003774.jpeg

Nice copy ! I think its worthwhile to slab issues 1, 7, 8 ,9  but if you go that far and since you have this one you might as well finish it  lol 

Edited by comic_memories