• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,897 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2021 at 11:58 AM, oakenfelder said:

Was excited to get this first Jim Aparo Batman. 

image.jpg

I looked this book up to confirm that it's from 1971, before the Godfather movie came out (not that there's anything to suggest this is a mob story, but I was curious to see if the word "godfather" would have been in the public consciousness at the time the book was made).  In the plot synopsis I read, the word doesn't even appear, so I can't tell which character that is.  The cover sure seems to imply that Batman himself is the godfather?  Godfather of what exactly?

Sorry for all the questions, just idle curiosity since I'm not familiar with the story.

On 11/23/2021 at 2:27 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I looked this book up to confirm that it's from 1971, before the Godfather movie came out (not that there's anything to suggest this is a mob story, but I was curious to see if the word "godfather" would have been in the public consciousness at the time the book was made).  In the plot synopsis I read, the word doesn't even appear, so I can't tell which character that is.  The cover sure seems to imply that Batman himself is the godfather?  Godfather of what exactly?

Sorry for all the questions, just idle curiosity since I'm not familiar with the story.

I haven't read it as yet.

On 11/23/2021 at 4:27 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The Book the Godfather movie is based on was written in 1969 and it's a very common religious word.  This was more like DC jumping on its current popularity of the time.

On 11/23/2021 at 5:38 PM, comic_memories said:

The Book the Godfather movie is based on was written in 1969 and it's a very common religious word.  This was more like DC jumping on its current popularity of the time.

Yes, I knew that the book predates this comic, and of course the word is common (I grew up Catholic so I have a godfather and I also am one).  But I would think it highly doubtful that calling someone "The" Godfather was in popular use until the 1972 movie came out.

Still curious whom the term is even referring to in the story.

On 11/23/2021 at 5:41 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yes, I knew that the book predates this comic, and of course the word is common (I grew up Catholic so I have a godfather and I also am one).  But I would think it highly doubtful that calling someone "The" Godfather was in popular use until the 1972 movie came out.

Enoch is Batmans Godson but he turns out to be evil.  quite a story

RCO004_1469105989.jpg

On 11/23/2021 at 2:41 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Correct.  While there would be a substantial part of the US population familiar with the term, it certainly would not have been broadly associated with The Mafia until the movie made it so.  My dad bought the paperback version of the book and I read it (I believe) before the movie came out.

On 11/24/2021 at 4:02 PM, MAR1979 said:

This week came across some books I put away a long time ago.

The #85 with 2nd Frank Miller artwork was a book I purchased as child just after the Twilight Zone movie was released.  Got it from a comic vendor at an indoor flea market.  A few year later he woudl have his own store and I believe it survived 25 years. As I recall he had about a dozen GK Zones and I picked out the one in nicest condition.  I also recall he was getting a $2.00-$3.00 for them which at the time was actually pretty high. Seeing the #85 cover really brings back some nice childhood memories.

#84 "Frank Miller Rookie" in effect, was part of collection that had just been purchased by my LCS when I was a kid. They had not even been unboxed when I walked in. I picked up about 15 different issues for .50 each.  BTW until this week I was not even aware I had the #84! :)  Thought I had 81 and 82 as it turned out it was 82 and 84. 

The scans make them appear a bit nicer than they actually are. #85 is a possible 9.4 that with a pressing I'm hoping will cement that grade or move it up to a 9.6. #84 I feel is a 9.0 or possible 9.2 if pressed? In past I've never had any book pressed as my stuff did not need it. But these will be part of a submission in which I will be having all books pressed.

----------------------------------------------

Twilight_Zone84-small.thumb.jpg.1fe8b8ce35299926d6f1bd227c2d2b0f.jpg

Twilight_Zone85-small.thumb.jpg.32733078705482ca1cfbcfd81c4c8e62.jpg

Beautiful copies! Not many of these above 9.0.