• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,898 posts in this topic

i have found something anomalous.  not a big deal, but cool nonetheless.   after some time on my original hunt for every s.a. marvel "annual" or "special" or the like, i expanded to ALL s.a. squarebounds, including the pure reprint books.  then, for shiznits and giggles, i have for the last little while broadened that to every "classic corner logo" squarebound marvel, which got me into bronze, and essentially takes one up to the end of '71.   mike's amazing world of comics was my guide for finding them month to month with the "newsstand" function.  i've been posting my grabs here for awhile now.   

well, for no reason i can determine, there is one such old-school corner logo 25center that is NOT squarebound; it just sits out there unique, as far as i can tell.  here it is, 25c, old pre-picture frame format, but plain ol' stapled wraps like it was a 15c book.   staying true to my s'bound pursuit, it's not on my want-list, but it did fascinate me a bit!

image.thumb.png.df35bc7130c12469c85f55af5f10a13e.png

On 1/17/2023 at 8:04 AM, Straw-Man said:

among the many old-corner logo bronze s'bounds i've grabbed, this one really sticks out as a favorite.

image.thumb.png.7fb885dd69f3b7f466c226f2c91f41ea.png

Some of the earlier issues in the run are worth grabbing if you get the chance Billy! Look at Doom being knocked out of his armor on this cover!!! And this splash page by the great Wally Wood starts the story off with a certain majestic flair! 

Astonishing Tales 4.jpg

Astonishing Tales 4 splash.jpg

On 1/17/2023 at 2:52 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I haven't checked to see what these are going for, but I'd bet that these great Doom covers are still really affordable.

Astonishing Tales 6.jpg

Numbers 2 to 5 are 10 bucks for a VG/FN but 1 and 6 are a around 50 bucks in same grade. 6 is pricey because of first app Bobbi Morse (later Mockingbird.) I like em for the Barry Smith art. The great Bill Everett inked Ka Zar in 6 and its fab. 

On 1/18/2023 at 2:16 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Numbers 2 to 5 are 10 bucks for a VG/FN but 1 and 6 are a around 50 bucks in same grade. 6 is pricey because of first app Bobbi Morse (later Mockingbird.) I like em for the Barry Smith art. The great Bill Everett inked Ka Zar in 6 and its fab. 

That's just seems SO affordable for the collector who wants copies to read but still be attractive enough to the eye. Thanks for the pricing info! (thumbsu

On 1/18/2023 at 12:16 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

With you on #6 - I am trying to put the originals back for the AT 6 Ka-Zar story so if you spot page 6 let me know...here are the others: https://cafurl.com?i=25483

Page 1 for those not interested enough to follow the link

BWS Everett AT i6 p1 splash 001.jpg

On 1/21/2023 at 3:28 PM, LudaToke said:

Really happy with this, nice for a mid grade copy.

original_2207cd2a-e432-4274-b202-32a1064d80b9_PXL_20230121_204806824.jpg

With white pages to boot! Yep  :takeit:

On 1/21/2023 at 5:51 PM, da.amazing.spiderman said:
For the past few days, I've been debating to myself the pros and cons of buying these (2) books in a "package deal" for my personal collection.  

Even though the price of both books have dropped significantly since the beginning of 2022, this "package deal" still cost 5 figures (not cheap).

In the end, I decided to break open my piggy bank and told myself that the MCU has BIG...BIG...plans for the FF, X-Men and Wolverine.   Major "Key" books such as Giant Size X-Men #1 and Hulk #180 will always be in demand by peeps in the comic community.

DSC02357.JPG

True that!

On 1/21/2023 at 6:51 PM, da.amazing.spiderman said:
For the past few days, I've been debating to myself the pros and cons of buying these (2) books in a "package deal" for my personal collection.  

Even though the price of both books have dropped significantly since the beginning of 2022, this "package deal" still cost 5 figures (not cheap).

In the end, I decided to break open my piggy bank and told myself that the MCU has BIG...BIG...plans for the FF, X-Men and Wolverine.   Major "Key" books such as Giant Size X-Men #1 and Hulk #180 will always be in demand by peeps in the comic community.

DSC02357.JPG

FWIW, without knowing exactly what you're paying, I don't think you'll regret your decision.  Congrats!