• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay situation - you decide

Peace in the middle east  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Peace in the middle east

28 posts in this topic

Alright, I have a feedback situation that's really pretty minor, but I wanted to get opinions on it.

I bought a book advertised as F/VF - it was cheap, $13-14 or so. From the pictures, FVF looked to be a little optimistic, but I thought FN or FN+ wasn't out of reason. The guy had great feedback on similarly graded stuff, and as it was cheap I felt failry reasonable giving it a shot. The book arrived and is a VG. Nowhere near a FVF. I emailed the guy and he said send it back, but I already paid $5or $6 for shipping, it's going to cost me another $5+ to get it back with delivery confirmation, and at that point I'm out the cost of the book so I just kept it, explained my reasoning, and left a neutral describing such. Something to the effect of, "Overgraded, offered a refund, but at this price I lose money to return"

My reasoning here is that this is the whole point of feedback, and that others need to be aware that the guy overgrades - at least sometime. (I mean, come on VG to FVF?!?).

Now the guy contacts me through ebay offering to make right (this is now a month plus after the fact), and says, "I'll even by it back from you."

Now on principle, I think the feedback is there for a reason and I want to use it for its intended purpose. However, the guy is trying to do right (albeit after some time). and I feel a little guilty for not giving him a chance.

What should I do?

Cut him some slack. He offered you a refund & you declined. What more could he really do? (shrug)

Grade the book right in the first place. That's the rub to me.

I agree with buttock. If it was at least a Fine I'd say no problem. But that far off? I think the neutral feedback is appropriate for this particular sale.

Shark

I say keep the feedback. I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't have offered to 'make it right' if you'd left him positive feedback in the first place. Sellers like robojo33 and 19jack76 manage to maintain stellar feedback this way. Before I found this board I got burned by both because I trusted the feedback...never again.

is he "doing the right thing" or "covering his azz?" that is the question. the time lapse might indicate the latter to the cynical amongst us

Wow I just voted and it's tied. I say leave the feedback. If I had sold you the book and missed the grade I would have offered to cover the shipping both ways to get it back and then relisted it at the correct grade.

If you know how to grade well and you get it wrong then in my opinion it's foul play if your new to grading like myself you have to give wiggle room for the mistakes and be ready to compensate.

Good luck... (thumbs u

I don't know. The time between makes it seem a bit that way. I emailed him my thoughts and the offer didn't come until after the FB was left (there were days or weeks between all of the events here). The cynic in me says he saw a change in bids & results so he realized he needed to try and make nice. But the little fragment of my heart that isn't completely scarred over wants to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He's always been pretty nice and not passive-aggressive at all. I'm just on the fence, so I thought I'd get other opinions.

He offered a refund, he could have said his grading was right and it's a matter of opinion like some sellers do. He might have made a genuine mistake, or just can't grade, us CGC people are more clued up than some, lol. Will he refund the shipping as well? I'd most prob give hima break as he seems to be willing to fix it.

herc

Now on principle, I think the feedback is there for a reason and I want to use it for its intended purpose. However, the guy is trying to do right (albeit after some time). and I feel a little guilty for not giving him a chance.

What should I do?

Send him to the plank! Keep the neutral rating. He should have graded it correctly before he mislead the description on the auction. I agree with you, it's a pain in the to send it back and you only lose money. The plank!

I say give the guy a break; assuming you can retract your feedback I'd give him the opportunity to refund every cent you spent on this transaction. While you are probably correct in your grading assessment, there is always the possibility that you are wrong, or that the "true" grade (if such a thing exists) lay somewhere in the middle.

Reasons for taking this route: you do not get stuck with a book you don't want, and seller has already learned a lesson about tighter grading and is paying a minor penalty (shipping fees both ways).