• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IF YOU WERE VISITING AMERICA ALL THE WAY FROM OZ...............

47 posts in this topic

highlights of San Diego CC:

1. mother of all comic-cons

2. multimedia frenzy and 6,000 ppl line ups

3. lots of online gaming and cosplay

4. lots of comic bk related memorabilia including some floppy comics

5. more family oriented (e.g. 18 museums, zoo, old town, Coronado Island)

Lowlights of Diego Con:

1. very expensive chain hotels (must book months ahead of time) near the downtown convention center

2. no decent Chinese food in the entire city

I've been to three SDCC's, 1989, 1995 and 2000, as a visitor from Oz.

I have had a great time at each one. If you want to see a BIG convention, you owe it to yourself to attend at least one San Diego.

That said, I would now prefer to got to Chicago or NY if the opportunity arises.

Why?

The SDCC has morphed from a funny-book show to a multimedia event. The organisers have focussed on film and television far more than the comics. Their show, they can run it as they see fit, but it's not mainly about comics anymore.

Crowds and accommodation hassles will occur wherever a Convention is sited. Goes with the territory. Other attractions outside the convention at San Diego are great, but let's face it, NY and Chicago have some pretty impressive "other things to do" as well.

I can tell you now, though, regardless of which Con you decide to attend there is nothing quite like the first look at a Dealers' Area at a large US convention. Talk about mouth-watering.

San Diego is like Walt Disney world.

You'll never see it all, you'll spend too much just getting there, it's so crowded someone is always in the way and everything including the comics are through the roof expensive. SUPER EXPENSIVE!

Chicago on the other hand is the 2nd biggest con in the US but it is 1/4 the size of San Diego which means within 4 days you can take it all in, slow down on the last day, hang with the biggest group of board members you will ever see (more than San Diego I think...there were about 80 at the Saturday dinner), lots of great buying opportunities....pretty much the most bang for the buck....one big happy party.

That's my opinion from being in Chicago past two years and hearing about SD the past two years.

R.

I like it when people talk about the pros and cons of a certain con based on what they have heard and not actually attending the convention.

They must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I like it when people talk about the pros and cons of a certain con based on what they have heard and not actually attending the convention.

:popcorn:

so what's your opinion? =) planning to take the 14 hour plane ride to the US is no fun so its either SD or Chicago then? I have an uncle living in IL so might be leaning towards that. My first con was WWLA back in 2004 and i was a bit disappointed.

:popcorn:

so what's your opinion? =) planning to take the 14 hour plane ride to the US is no fun so its either SD or Chicago then? I have an uncle living in IL so might be leaning towards that. My first con was WWLA back in 2004 and i was a bit disappointed.

SD will always be number 1 for me. :acclaim:

If you're going to be traveling all the way from overseas and this is the first US con you've ever been to, in my mind there is no question that it's got to be SD. It's more than just a con, it's a cultural experience. To say otherwise would be like recommending a foreign visitor to go to 6 Flags instead of Disneyworld.

For the more jaded, regular con-goers, particularly those who live in the US, then other cons might make more sense.

If you're going to be traveling all the way from overseas and this is the first US con you've ever been to, in my mind there is no question that it's got to be SD. It's more than just a con, it's a cultural experience. To say otherwise would be like recommending a foreign visitor to go to 6 Flags instead of Disneyworld.

For the more jaded, regular con-goers, particularly those who live in the US, then other cons might make more sense.

Tim is right as usual. (worship)

Why don't you bite me. I told him it's what I've heard about SD.

I'll buy JC a plane ticket to your front door if you don't shut it.

Woooo....I'm afraid. Must be expecting some extra $$ after flipping a book you bought off the forums recently. Otherwise, you wouldn't be so generous with your money. :roflmao:

To me it's a question of what you're looking for.

If you want the "Las Vegas" of comicons then SD.

Also I think it would bug the heII out of me because I would likely not be able to take everything in...I'd leave with the feeling I missed something.

If you're on a budget then it's not SD.

(shrug)

I never heard of a Comic Con in Vancouver. Why is that?

Are people there, other than yourself, just not into the funny books.

If there is the interest there but just not someone into comic convention empire building maybe you're the man to make it happen.

Greggy's 'couvie ComicCon 2009 hm

Woooo....I'm afraid. Must be expecting some extra $$ after flipping a book you bought off the forums recently. Otherwise, you wouldn't be so generous with your money. :roflmao:

Actually I made way more on books I didn't buy from the forums, but I'm always generous...not just now. That still doesn't explain why you're being a tool.

(shrug)

I never heard of a Comic Con in Vancouver. Why is that?

Are people there, other than yourself, just not into the funny books.

If there is the interest there but just not someone into comic convention empire building maybe you're the man to make it happen.

Greggy's 'couvie ComicCon 2009 hm

:cry: