• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we really trust CGC? Why are grades on my books so low?
2 2

254 posts in this topic

My advice. Send your books to PGX get the high grades you oh so desire and sell them when you are bored for 25-60% of what cgc books would get.

Your logic is flawed. My 9.0 pgx books I crack out come back 9.4's and 9.6's from CGC.

:baiting:

My advice. Send your books to PGX get the high grades you oh so desire and sell them when you are bored for 25-60% of what cgc books would get.

Your logic is flawed. My 9.0 pgx books I crack out come back 9.4's and 9.6's from CGC.

Dont you dare accuse me of using logic..

How ya doin Timmay ? You coming up for Javits, or hitting Chicago ?

And thats good you got bumps frm PGX to CGC, but the lack of resto check makes me avoid that company like the black plague.

There is no 9.6+ that would be a 9.8, there is also no 9.6- that would be 9.4. I have never met anyone with a 100% accuracy rate for finding 9.8's (except I am 5 for 5 at the moment, but expect that to change.) so your un-named expert grader isnt flying here.

Thanks for you comments,

I know there is not 9.6+ but it is just used as an estimate of what to expect. A 9.6+ just means there is a 25% chance of it being a 9.8 but most likey it is a 9.6. That rating covers the grader and everyone knows what to expect. If it comes back a 9.8 great but if it comes back a 9.6 it was expected. It is people like you who have chased the young away from the comic book stores and give to the misconception that all comic book people are like the guy on The Simpsons. Well, I have a family a good job and I am respected at many things... but I am not a comic book grader. I am just stating the fact that there are so many problems with grading because of people like you think they know what the experts know. Better standards and a level playing field helps everyone. It details a clearer plan of what is mint, near mint ect. If the CGC continue to do things in the same way they are going to hurt the industry overall. They have to earn the people's trust and the only way to do that is by being consistant. An expert grader who graded my books missed badly on 4 books and he just "missed something" I do not think so. If it was one or maybe 2 I would say maybe but 4 out of 7 no way.

There is no 9.6+ that would be a 9.8, there is also no 9.6- that would be 9.4. I have never met anyone with a 100% accuracy rate for finding 9.8's (except I am 5 for 5 at the moment, but expect that to change.) so your un-named expert grader isnt flying here.

Thanks for you comments,

I know there is not 9.6+ but it is just used as an estimate of what to expect. A 9.6+ just means there is a 25% chance of it being a 9.8 but most likey it is a 9.6. That rating covers the grader and everyone knows what to expect. If it comes back a 9.8 great but if it comes back a 9.6 it was expected. It is people like you who have chased the young away from the comic book stores and give to the misconception that all comic book people are like the guy on The Simpsons. Well, I have a family a good job and I am respected at many things... but I am not a comic book grader. I am just stating the fact that there are so many problems with grading because of people like you think they know what the experts know. Better standards and a level playing field helps everyone. It details a clearer plan of what is mint, near mint ect. If the CGC continue to do things in the same way they are going to hurt the industry overall. They have to earn the people's trust and the only way to do that is by being consistant. An expert grader who graded my books missed badly on 4 books and he just "missed something" I do not think so. If it was one or maybe 2 I would say maybe but 4 out of 7 no way.

You have got to be kidding me. I do not ever try to deter anyone from collecting. But you are failing to understand my point here. There is no EXPERT grader, unless he works for the company. You can guess just like the rest of us, but in the end its a -shoot. So you and the guy you bought the books from can guess all day long, but he nor I will ever be 100% correct.

Seriouosly dont ever accuse me of carp like that again. You dont know me, and if you did the comment wouldnt have been made.

Thanks for you comments,

Welcome to the board. I think your logic is flawed. Your expert grader is not as expert as you think. Missing 4 out of 7 is not a logical defense for your expert grader, it is proof that he consistantly overgrades. Many of the guys on the board learned hard lessons about CGC grading and went through what you are going through.

Call for the graders notes, find out why they graded lower than expected. Compare the books to the graders notes and use this as an opportunity to learn CGCs grading standards.

Sorry to hear how upset you are, it's a tough thing to go through, but use this expensive setback to learn so it doesn't happen again.

Make no mistake though, the guys on this board all love comics and I've never come across a smarter, more passionate group of comic fans.

Dont you dare accuse me of using logic..

How ya doin Timmay ? You coming up for Javits, or hitting Chicago ?

And thats good you got bumps frm PGX to CGC, but the lack of resto check makes me avoid that company like the black plague.

^^

An expert grader who graded my books missed badly on 4 books and he just "missed something" I do not think so. If it was one or maybe 2 I would say maybe but 4 out of 7 no way.

Maybe he's not really an expert after all.......

hm

I don't believe you stated how often you have previously submitted books to CGC.

Everyone who has submitted more than a handful of books knows you will suffer some disappointments.

I have submitted more than 1,000 books and I believe CGC is fair and consistent.

Have I been disappointed, sure, but I never got mad at CGC. You have to remember they have looked at 100's of copies of Watchmen. How many have you looked at ? I am sure you submitted the nicest copy you have ever seen but

obviously not the nicest copy they have ever seen.

I think it would ruin this hobby if CGC started to give 9.4 copies a 9.8 grade. This is not fair to the 9.8's that are better than that 9.4.

I'm sorry, I know you feel bad, but the situation 'is what it is' = your books, compared to others, were probably indeed 9.4's. It's not the end of the world.

CGC is great for our hobby, there is no conspiracy, they were not picking on you.

Yes The CGC was indeed picking on him. Let him continue his crazy, unfounded drivel. I want the "expert graders" name. Unless it was Steve Borock or someone at the same skill level. I'm not interested... Maybe theses books were graded by some dude at a local Antiques Road Show type deal.... A. Name of this so called "expert grader" B. Scans of the book's. Both before and after there being graded. Or C. Shut the hell up and grow up....

You "made" all the women in your life read The Watchmen. Then you had them give you there opinion?? Seriously.... I enjoy collecting, investing, reading comic book's. But your passion for this book has got some really bizarre hold on you. I'd seek some kind of professional help/advice. Your post's come off like the end of the world is at hand and you can't save the comic book's.... Holy Smokes! :screwy: I'd hate to think what this guy would do if anyone called these books garbage or just a nice bunch of stories. He'd flip out and go postal by the sounds of it... Geezzzzzzzzzzz :insane:

Welcome to the board. I think your logic is flawed. Your expert grader is not as expert as you think. Missing 4 out of 7 is not a logical defense for your expert grader, it is proof that he consistantly overgrades. Many of the guys on the board learned hard lessons about CGC grading and went through what you are going through.

Call for the graders notes, find out why they graded lower than expected. Compare the books to the graders notes and use this as an opportunity to learn CGCs grading standards.

Sorry to hear how upset you are, it's a tough thing to go through, but use this expensive setback to learn so it doesn't happen again.

Make no mistake though, the guys on this board all love comics and I've never come across a smarter, more passionate group of comic fans.

This thread seems an echo of the CGC inconsistent lately? thread from a couple of months ago.

Except for all the warm welcoming and voices from seasoned highly respected hobby professionals, it's a similar rant.

Akanni: Comic book grading is an art, not a science. What I mean by this is there are no hardwired laws or rules for grading books. Instead, there are educated opinions that can differ from person to person depending on the criteria that each uses to evaluate books and assign grades.

How does this apply in your case? Your expert grader might, indeed, have a great deal of experience and be a solid grader, and STILL grade certain books differently than CGC. This is not the result of some nefarious conspiracy at Sarasota, but rather a reflection of the art of comic grading.

Your cause is not helped by your unsubstantiated allegation that the books you are receiving back from Sarasota may not be the ones you submitted. As someone who has submitted hundreds of books, and knowing others who have submitted thousands, I've neither experienced this nor heard of it happening to anyone else.

Thanks for the comments,

I know that people may see things a little different but a solid est. of 9.8 downgraded to 9.4 not once but twice in the same set is not good. I paid an expert to help me because I am not a comic book grader. As far a learning, do you think I can learn from this guy when he is 43% accurate. Let me put it this way if grading is not a science then it would be a good idea to work to make it more like one. Because it sure is not art, you get hundreds of books in front of you and you should be consistant in your grading and pass that consistantcy on to the people who work under you. If you go to your job and you perform at 43% what would happen. Try going to work and being on time 43% of the time or getting your work done at a 43% rate. How many Watchmen #1 are out there graded at 9.8 or better by CGC? Well, my books came from my collection and they had never been in the system before. Maybe my with a 9.8 on my book it would have been too much for the good old CGC. I send in a Watchmen #1,4,8,3,11,12 est. at 9.8 and a #10 at 9.6. The 1,4,8,3 come back lower than expected and the 10, comes back higher. I am also tired of the shipping excuse, people send things way more fragile than comics and they make it just fine. I believe and expert in the industry knows how to ship a box.

I would say a 43% success rate, and a majority of the wrong "guesses" came in well below what he graded would make him an overgrader. Want some advice for getting 9.8's?

Find books that you can not find any flaws with. That you think are absolutely perfect, break out the magnifying glass. And submit books you find perfect. Your chances will improve greatly.

Thanks for the advice Resurrection,

But, lets be honest. What are we reallying doing here? Am I supposed to buy hundreds of copies of a book to get a certain grade? Or is better for me to buy good books with good art that I like and worry about grading second? I think that is the difference with me and many on here, I have never bought a book for a grade. I buy books because I am looking for the next Watchmen or Sandman not looking for a grade. The time I take to look at books through a magnifying glass I could be out finding the next Strikeforce or Alien Legion. I believe letting experts do their jobs and paying them for that value. Now if I send in 7 books graded by and expert if 4 comes back below grading then something is wrong. Either my grader is off or CGC is off. This really has very little to do with me, I am not going to spend time detailing books. I know what I believe is a good book and what could be a near mint book a 9.4 is a near mint book but my grader said it should be a 9.8. In my opinion anything between a 9.2 and 9.8 should get about the same respect but that is not how this stuff works. If 9.2 thru 9.8 merited about the same price and value it would do away with this CGC manipulation strangle hold. A Watchmen #1 at 9.8 goes for over $300 but a 9.4 is not worth the price of grading.Yet the both are near mint, I agree that Watchmen #1 is worth over 300 but I believe a 9.2 should be worth about $200 not 14.95. I am just playing the game like everyone else, except I am cutting back on the learning curve. I want my children to have the best batch possible and that is 9.8. I have 8 of the 12 but I have a 9.4 #1 and 4. I see no need to send any more books to CGC when there is so many horror stories of mis grades. With consistancy there is only argument and when the truth finally comes out all those CGC graded books will be suspect and not worth the paper they are labeled with. For the sake of this industry CGC has to get more consistant because this Wild Wild West environment will not last.

These folks have made some good points already. I would just add that the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.4 is fairly subtle. Even if the person you asked to grade these books is on his game, there could be very slight defects on the back cover (a few spine ticks, maybe a light fingerprint or a rounded corner) that could account for the difference between the grades you were expecting and the grades you got. The Watchmen books have black back covers that are notorious for showing up defects like these. Just a thought.