• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo inside Cherokee Book Shop 1965!!!

55 posts in this topic

From the UCLA Library online photo collection:

"COMIC BOOK HEAVEN-Rick Durell, El Segundo, left, operator of a gasoline station, and Burt Blum, manager of Cherokee Book Shop, 6607 Hollywood Blvd., look over comic books in store, largest center for them in the country. Publication: Los Angeles Times, Publication date: June 7, 1965"

Check out the comics that are laying on the table! :o

I see an Action #1, Detective #27, Whiz #2, Superman #1, Captain America #1, Batman #1, and maybe a Special Edition Comics #1 too.

MY SOUL FOR A TIME MACHINE!

cherokee-book-store-1965.jpg

From the UCLA Library online photo collection:

"COMIC BOOK HEAVEN-Rick Durell, El Segundo, left, operator of a gasoline station, and Burt Blum, manager of Cherokee Book Shop, 6607 Hollywood Blvd., look over comic books in store, largest center for them in the country. Publication: Los Angeles Times, Publication date: June 7, 1965"

Check out the comics that are laying on the table! :o

I see an Action #1, Detective #27, Whiz #2, Superman #1, Captain America #1, Batman #1, and maybe a Special Edition Comics #1 too.

MY SOUL FOR A TIME MACHINE!

cherokee-book-store-1965.jpg

Man, I used to have hair like that doh!

One heck of a collection of Big Little Books too.

I do appreciate the random major keys just happen to be spread out on that table. (And to heck with Martin Milner's hair. I'd take Tiny Tim's at this point.)

I think Cherokee book store was the book store that had the comics upstairs.

I used to go there when i was a kid in the 70`s but they were too pricey for me so i would go to bonds street books across the street and dig through tons of twenty five cent (maybe less)boxes.

There were i think atleast three book stores that had comic sections on hollywood blvd.back then, another one was Pickwick books.

I think the book store in "the howling" was cherokee books down stairs area.

I know it was one of the bookshops i went to on hollywood.

I think Cherokee book store was the book store that had the comics upstairs.

I used to go there when i was a kid in the 70`s but they were too pricey for me so i would go to bonds street books across the street and dig through tons of twenty five cent (maybe less)boxes.

There were i think atleast three book stores that had comic sections on hollywood blvd.back then, another one was Pickwick books.

I think the book store in "the howling" was cherokee books down stairs area.

I know it was one of the bookshops i went to on hollywood.

That is a VERY COOL picture...I don't recall ever being aware of it and I lived in the South Bay (Torrance/Redondo Beach) at the time...we did make forays to the book stores on Hollywood Blvd though circa 1974-76 or so...really takes me back...had the foresight to at least know that I wanted a collection I would keep but didn't have the foresight to nab up the ones that would turn into 6-figure books...I was more like kingofwhales looking for 20 books for $20 dollars rather than drop $20 dollars on a single book, like ASM #1 for example which couldof been had in spades... :tonofbricks: