• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost Town has been dethroned!!

51 posts in this topic

I still don't like how he can have a 30 percent completed run, and Ghost Ship have a 93 percent complete run.. and the 30 percent one be better. Not that it doesn't sound like CT will put up some more nice books. smile.gif

Brian

I was very shocked to see that, but then I realized that Ghost Town didn't have the first two books listed. confused-smiley-013.gif Who knows? They both have very nice sets all the same (and resources as well). Even if I had the money for such a collection, I would have no idea where to get some of those books in insanely high grades. confused-smiley-013.gif

This run is too good to be true!!......Id really love to hear the story behind it. Was it simply by brute forece: just spending whatever it took on the open market? Or were most of them bought unslabbed at normal double-guide years ago?

ANyone have the inside scoop?

Was it simply by brute forece: just spending whatever it took on the open market? Or were most of them bought unslabbed at normal double-guide years ago?

What do you think?

All the great collections were bought years and years ago, as for the insufficiently_thoughtful_person money it would take to buy them circa 2003, the owner would NOT be on here posting.... grin.gif

This run is too good to be true!!......Id really love to hear the story behind it. Was it simply by brute forece: just spending whatever it took on the open market? Or were most of them bought unslabbed at normal double-guide years ago?

ANyone have the inside scoop?

Looks like a lot of capital was injected from this footage http://www.tias.com/stores/metropolis/press.html

893whatthe.gif

aman,

it took me years of diligent hunting, buying & trading to amass this run. Only a few of the remaining slabbed issues were bought unslabbed (like the Northlands and a few non-pedigrees). Once I got so close to having a 9.6 or better run, I went all out to finish it.

Doug

However you put it together , its very impressive! Kudos. Thanx for the reply. I wish I had been so super selective on ALL my purchases, but I think I got enough of them right.....

I never saw that video clip before... very cool. And the press for once pretty much got their facts straight! Steve's putting on weight again...

Looks like a lot of capital was injected from this footage http://www.tias.com/stores/metropolis/press.html

893whatthe.gif

Thanks for the link, that was hilarious! Especially the part about the guy who lost a ton on Wall Street, then proceeded to cash out his assets and turned it into a $2 million comic book investment.

We should start a poll as to where he'll sink his $500K in a few years. grin.gif

Thanks for the link, that was hilarious! Especially the part about the guy who lost a ton on Wall Street, then proceeded to cash out his assets and turned it into a $2 million comic book investment.

We should start a poll as to where he'll sink his $500K in a few years. grin.gif

893whatthe.gif You are SO full of tact! Since you're the holder of all the investment-related comic book wisdom in the universe, why not just ASK him? I think he's "lurking" around here somewhere and might even respond... 27_laughing.gif

JC that WAS a little mean-spirited...

Why not settle for being right if it all comes to pass as you predict, rather than actively cheering it on. You dont have anything to gain if it does except "I told you so's..." so really, just sit back and chill and let the chips fall where they may. Youre on the sidelines, right? Why root for everyone else to be wrong all the time??.

you cant save them all..... if in fact they need saving, that is.

JC that WAS a little mean-spirited...

I really didn't mean it to be, but come on, here's a guy on a national news program, touting his $2 million comic book investment for the world to see.

If he wanted to stay out of the limelight, then stay out fo the limelight.

Joe'

I have never in my life invested any money in the stock market. Metropolis asked me if I would appear on the newslink and fudge it a bit, which I did. It was for the purpose of drawing increased attention and interest in the comic book collectibles market. Now you know.

Captain Tripps

Why don't you tell Bob storms what a stupid investment his FF run was. Bob and I have had our differences but looks like he has done quite well selling his touted FF run. I am sure he put them together over a long period of time and is now cashing them in to buy a house. I wonder if he could tell his what kind of return he has made on his investment? Once again, if you have a good eye and know what you are doing, you can make money at this. Bob is selling at a very good time - in my memory, things have not been hotter since Spidey came out and most people with any sense buy low and sell high. So why don't some of you investment experts and crash mavens analyze this one?

I have never in my life invested any money in the stock market. Metropolis asked me if I would appear on the newslink and fudge it a bit, which I did. It was for the purpose of drawing increased attention and interest in the comic book collectibles market.

Are you serious? 893whatthe.gif

Why don't you tell Bob storms what a stupid investment his FF run was. Bob and I have had our differences but looks like he has done quite well selling his touted FF run. I am sure he put them together over a long period of time and is now cashing them in to buy a house.

Of course he did, and I respect Bob's investments in the past, and I'm sure he'll come out quite well. You see, Bob represents the investment side who bought low and is selling high, while the guy who actually buys high is a....

Remember, we're talking about today, not 1970-88, and unless you own a time machine, you will never see those kinds of returns, especially if you're investing in CGC books.