• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost Town has been dethroned!!

51 posts in this topic

thanx... I havent listened to the radio show yet, but I was under the impression from posts here that you had "invested" a million in this Spidey run, or the Spideys plus other comics. If thats not true, then Im even happier for you!! Buying the best is smart, but you dont want to be TOO far ahead of the market, like the poor soul who had to sell off his Spidey run at a loss...

Doug,

Welcome to the boards. The best part of the experience here is getting to meet so many other collectors and certainly it's a treat to meet one of the better known ones.

Also, I finally took a look at your registry and it is SICK!! Congratulations on putting together this run. It boggles the mind on the computer screen WITHOUT SCANS(!!!). I can only imagine how sweet they must look in person. Thrilled to hear you've been working on them for a long time as well, that definitely makes it seem more special than if you just wrote a check for a couple mil and got them in a week. Makes it a lot easier to relate to your process too, we've all been there whether we're buying 9.6s or readers...

cheers,

Dan

Doug, I just wanted to say hello and let you know that I am happy that you have decided to post here. Even though I am a DC fanatic, I still enjoy hearing stories of how people put together great collections and really enjoy taking a look at your registry. Congrats on the awesome collection,

DAM

aman:

Thanks for the reply. I feel sorry too for the guy who dumped all his Spideys within appx 6-8 months (or less) of buying them from

Heritage, etc. I know he lost close to 100K! I don't know whether he was a true collector or not, but he obviously didn't mind losing

the money in order to help his medical practice. It would have killed me having to sell that kind of run for a piece of machinery.

Anyway, let's hope none of us has to go through that (losing the books and money). That would hurt!

Keep in touch.

Doug

DAM:

Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it. Although I don't collect DC, I know how tough it is to put

high grade runs together. The Silver Age books are very hard to fing in grade compared to Marvel.

The Pacific Coast original owner had full runs, but I think Roter has kept most if not all of those runs.

Anyway, thank you for welcoming me to the board.

Happy Collecting.

Doug

Dan:

Thanks for the post. I really appreciate the kind words and kudos on my collection.

Believe me, this has been a 10 plus years endeavor and it took a lot of energy,

travel, expense, etc. to put this collection together. You wouldn't believe how

mant trades I've done over the last 3 years alone in order to complete some of

these runs. Anyway, thank you for taking the time out write to me.

Keep in touch, Dan.

Doug.

Just wondering...I recently looked at your JIM run and it states that a majority of them came from an original Canadian collector. When was the run found and which part of Canada was it from? Also, were the other Marvel runs included in the collection?

Thanks--Greg

Just wondering...I recently looked at your JIM run and it states that a majority of them came from an original Canadian collector. When was the run found and which part of Canada was it from? Also, were the other Marvel runs included in the collection?

Thanks--Greg

Who the hell ARE you??

Greg:

Thank you for the inquiry. The run was found a little more than 1 year ago and was then offered to me in three different

stages. I bought all of them (not from the original owner) and then finally tracked down the 83 to complete the run. I

don't know what part of Canada the collection came from, but I'm pretty sure (at least according to the dealer I got

them from) that there were no other runs. That is the reason, I believe, this run couldn't be pedigreed.

Even though the books were super high grade, they were limited solely to JIM's.

Thanks,

Doug.

I may be wrong but, I bet Metropolis would know because I thi k they bought that collection. About a year ago Metro had a bunch of early JiM up on there site - I bought many of them - and I asked what the deal was. I think they said they had a major high grade JiM collection come in and someone bought it and then they sold the leftovers. And it seems to me that it was about a year ago so the time line fits.