• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody tell me WHEN in 2004 the Great Crash is coming, please?

90 posts in this topic

Can somebody tell me when in 2004 the advertised Great Crash is coming? I'm not done with my FF collection yet, and prices above Overstreet NM on a CGC 8.5 comic with a date stamp like this scare me silly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2205348911&category=32731

I don't need the exact day and time of the crash...just the season will be plenty accurate so I can figure out roughly when I'll ever have another chance of finishing my run at less-than-insane prices! sorry.gif

AHEM! foreheadslap.gif crash won't have an effect on pre 1965 books in 8.5 or better. gossip.gif

Also, addendum 6.01 indicates that the crash will not affect pre-1980 books in 8.0 or lower. This was added after it was determined that books have to surge before they can crash, and since there has not been a premium paid for VF or lower CGC books (yet, that's schedule in late '05 so please update your day planners) there will be no penalty.

After digesting all the appropriate addendums, inserts, and corrections, it appears that only Nova 1-8 in 9.6 or better will crash, but that's not going to happen until September 4th...

AHEM! foreheadslap.gif crash won't have an effect on pre 1965 books in 8.5 or better. gossip.gif

Not correct, but I have stated that the older the book and rarer in the CGC census, the less it will be affected by the upcoming correction.

It will all start with a crumbling of the USM uber-high-grade values and flow down from there. When the seventh seal is ripped asunder, the speculators, oh how they shall burn...

what about the four horsemen of the apocalypse? confused-smiley-013.gif

No worries - they're scheduled to perish in the darkest depths of mordor, signaling the beginning of the end, after which the evil One shall creep up and steal all our books away...

If Global does not start their 3rd party grading of comics by Apri/04 Wondercon, then we must be in a market downturn. Reflects no confidence in the future growth of slabbing funny books or mags. tonofbricks.gif

That's an interesting thought...

I'm noticing a serious downturn in Bronze CGC listings, as I'm tracking them constantly, and other than a few 9.8's here and there (sure things), it's slim pickings. It seems that the major dealers are being far more careful on their CGC subs, and not letting those 9.4/9.6 deals sneak through.

Of course, I'm not sending mine in either, as getting a 9.4 or less in Bronze really isn't worth it right now, assuming we're not talking about Hulk 181 or ASM 129. grin.gif

Reflects no confidence in the future growth of slabbing funny books or mags. tonofbricks.gif

I would've thought CGC would start slowing down by now, but I'm continuously surprised at how large a percentage of the Silver books for sale have that new label. I just wish I saw more new labels on my early FFs... frown.gif