• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Much Have You Spent on Comics & Related Collectibles This Year?

How Much Have You Spent on Comics & Related Collectibles In 2003?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Have You Spent on Comics & Related Collectibles In 2003?

31 posts in this topic

I'm curious to know how much people have spent this year to feed their comic collecting obsession. How much is the Average Joe spending and how much do you have to spend to be a BSD? confused-smiley-013.gif

Please answer only once and please answer truthfully. Let's try to get an accurate picture of what is going on out there. Include the net amount you have spent (i.e., what you have spent minus any money you received from selling comic-related stuff) on new comics, back-issue comics, comic art, comic statues, comic DVDs, CGC grading fees, etc. for your *personal* (i.e., non-retail, non-dealer) collection.

Yeh, I'd like to hear about what all 5 of them spent 200,000 grand on. For some odd reason, I don't believe it. :\

Brian

Let's see...in the last week or so we've had posts from blazing, comgeek, Brulato, so there's 3 right there that would fit that spending level. Dealers (and dealer-collectors, and possibly collector-dealers, and even a few collector-collectors) probably spend that much on comics in a year no problem. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeh, I'd like to hear about what all 5 of them spent 200,000 grand on. For some odd reason, I don't believe it. :\

Brian

Why don't you believe it?...there are quite a number of high grade dealers on this board,....it doesn't mean they kept $200,000 in books for themselves, they could have very easily flipped $200,000

Did you spend more than $200,000 in real estate this year?

Brian

Why don't you believe it?...there are quite a number of high grade dealers on this board,....it doesn't mean they kept $200,000 in books for themselves, they could have very easily flipped $200,000

Did you spend more than $200,000 in real estate this year?

Yeah but the poll does say 'personal, non-dealer, non-retail collection'. $200K there is quite high.

But that's the point of the poll, to illustrate your end-investment (not counting sales, flip profits, dealer buys, etc.) and just what, at the end of the day, you spent to put comics in your permanent collection.

So let's say gman buys 100 books for 10-cents each, sends them to CGC and then sells them off for $2K each on average, that's $200K. If he then spends that $200K on prime Silver Age for his collection, his actual investment was only $10.

Dealer buys/stock are out as well, and it really comes down to taking $200K of your non-comic/flip/sales related funds and laying it down for books for your permanent collection. I think a few people on here may qualify, but I have a hard time believing the numbers. grin.gif

So let's say gman buys 100 books for 10-cents each, sends them to CGC and then sells them off for $2K each on average, that's $200K. If he then spends that $200K on prime Silver Age for his collection, his actual investment was only $10.

Unless gman's customers send him cheques marked payable to Heritage Comics Auctions, then surely his investment is still $200K. He may have chosen to reinvest in comics, but at one point ha had the two hundred thousand in the bank and could just as easily have bought a house.

Ahh.. so if we're considering it that way. I guess I could more easily see it for dealers. However, I doubt most dealers are regularly spending 200,000 unless there's a ton of books.

Not to mention they're selling off a percentage of those, and only a small piece might end up in a permanent collection. Even so, any profits selling other parts of the purchased comics, would offset the investment.

Basically, any dealer who lays down $200K in "end of the year/balance sheet dollars" on comics for their collection, would not be in business a NY minute.

actually, I think the poll had way too many choices.... who remembers (or cares to look up) exactly what the years running total is???

30-40? 40-50???. 50-60???? 60-70??

should have been 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 20, 50, >100K that would have included all of us just as well..

Funny, there's 5 people who've now selected 200k or more. Did I accidentally stumble into the Hamptons or is this still the comics forum? Give me a break.. wink.gif

Brian

Why are you obsessing over this? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I hear a green-eyed monster... and not a gamma-irradiated, pronoun-ignoring one.

i've only bought,not sold,but i did just send in 49 books for slabbing and of those,i'd say 10-15 are candidates for sale.should i actually part with anything that money will go right back into the hobby sooooo,i can see me personally being able to answer this next yr in the 5-10k area. this yrs repy was 2501-5000.I know there are people out there with truly impressive collections that through sales can answer 200k just by making sales and putting the money back in.Maybe the poll should read,"new" money?

I know there are people out there with truly impressive collections that through sales can answer 200k just by making sales and putting the money back in.Maybe the poll should read,"new" money?

"Include the net amount you have spent (i.e., what you have spent minus any money you received from selling comic-related stuff)"

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's now up to 6 for $200K ! I'm reasonably impressed with the 2 in the 70-80 mark. Sounds more reasonable but still far more than most of us can dream.

I am the only one who put $150,001-200,000 which is in the ballpark. Check out my Timely's in the Golden Age section! thumbsup2.gif

Timely