• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

So whats the take on this oddity, admittedly the first time I've heard of, or seen before...

Pedigree listing...

TURTLEMANIA SPECIAL #1 NM/Mint White pages. Highest on census, low print run. This is not only the highest on the CGC census, it's the ONLY 9.8 copy on the CGC census. Extremely hard to find, let alone in HG, there are only 2 cps. graded under this at 9.6 and 9.4. First public sale offering, a true must for hardcore turtle fans. DETAILS- Cover Credits: Peter Laird (Pencils) Kevin Eastman (Inks) Don Orapallo (color overlay) (Colors) typeset (Letters). Cover Feature: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Genre: Funny Animal. Indexer notes: Limited edition booklet that features unpublished T.M.N.T. artwork and exclusive previews of then upcoming stories. The material gathered for this publication was provided directly to Robert Wilson by Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman. Turtlemania was produced in three editions: Regular (print run of 3,000 with white covers); Silver #1 (print run of 100, autographed); Gold (print run of 10, autographed with original sketch on back cover).

25248.jpg

Edited by brasseye

So whats the take on this oddity, admittedly the first time I've heard of, or seen before...

Pedigree listing...

25248.jpg

The 9.6 I sold last month looks like a steal compared to this one. $900 for CGC 9.8. WOW!!

Highly overpriced IMHO for this particular issue even if it is a 9.8. I saw the 9.6 on ebay a few weeks ago that sold for about 50 or 60. That seemed like a very fair price.

I also saw what was listed as a silver edition on ebay a couple of days ago and then seller took the listing off. I cant find it now but did anyone see it and can someone verify if it was an actual silver edition? it looked like a regular turtlemania with siver edition #1 handwritten on the cover

A CGC 9.6 of only 3,000 of the biggest title to come out in the 80's for $50-60? That sounds a bit low, extremely low.

I searched eBay and I believe they show all completed for 8 weeks and there is no 9.6 on there.

Here's the silver one listed, sure looks funky. Those sigs on the back look like their by the same hand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Turtlemania-special-1-silver-edition_W0QQitemZ150338400822QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item150338400822&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I do remember the Turtlemania 9.6 that went for a reasonable price a while back. It was definitely less than $100.

And the two sigs on the "Silver Edition" listing definitely don't look like Eastman and Laird's sigs...not their current ones, anyway. And I agree, they look like they were from the same hand. If it was one of the duo, my money's on Laird.

Check the sigs for reference:

DarkAvengers1-TMNT.jpg

DarkAvengers1-TMNTBC.jpg

and PM sent, 50 Cent

Edited by Peter Palmer

Ok, some info...

If there is only 1 9.8 Turtlemania (I havent checked) then that must be the one that sold right here on the boards back in Feb of this year for exactly $100...quite the turn around. And yes a 9.6 sold on 3/16/09 for $59.99

That "silver" edition is indeed a fake as are his supposed "gold copies"

Ok, some info...

If there is only 1 9.8 Turtlemania (I havent checked) then that must be the one that sold right here on the boards back in Feb of this year for exactly $100...quite the turn around. And yes a 9.6 sold on 3/16/09 for $59.99

That "silver" edition is indeed a fake as are his supposed "gold copies"

Does anyone actually have a legit copy of the silver or gold edition they can post?

The only reason the Turtlemania CGC 9.6 sold for $60 is that I am new to ebay with only 120 feedback score at the time of the listing. If I was well known with higher feedback score it would have sold for more. Personally, about $100 is reasonable price for a 9.6 and $250 for a 9.8.

The only reason the Turtlemania CGC 9.6 sold for $60 is that I am new to ebay with only 120 feedback score at the time of the listing. If I was well known with higher feedback score it would have sold for more. Personally, about $100 is reasonable price for a 9.6 and $250 for a 9.8.

Only 120? sounds like plenty to me...

I dunno. I think 120 is plenty of feedback to be able to sell and get max price. You could have had 1000 feedback and I still would not have bid simply becuase I have no desire for this book cgc graded. I think as whole, there is more demand for the main volume of books and not other specials, etc. especially in regards to CGC books.

While the book is fairly rare with only 3,000 printed, most TMNT collectors simply want a copy in their collection, which they can get fairly easily for $5-$30, depending.

I dunno. I think 120 is plenty of feedback to be able to sell and get max price. You could have had 1000 feedback and I still would not have bid simply becuase I have no desire for this book cgc graded. I think as whole, there is more demand for the main volume of books and not other specials, etc. especially in regards to CGC books.

While the book is fairly rare with only 3,000 printed, most TMNT collectors simply want a copy in their collection, which they can get fairly easily for $5-$30, depending.

I agree with this Terminator's post. 120 feedback is plenty. I think you got the max price for it.

tmnt1.jpg

NICE!!

I think so :)

Nice free book in my opinion and even the stock for the cover and in side was nice quality. I was very impressed with this book. Pretty sure its from the GOLD tier for free comic book day and thus it is limited from my understanding. My LCS only got a few. Also the back cover has the spot for the store stamp which would make a good signature space and also a bit of room for a sketch.

tmnt1backcover.jpg

Does anyone think a book like this has a chance of increasing in value?