• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, my TMNT 1 officially came back as a 6.0 with white pages. I guess the spine stress was a bit heavier than I originally thought, but I have no idea how it came back with white pages. Anyway, I think I've decided to go ahead and get 2-5 now. :grin:

:applause:

Very cool! Out of curiosity, why 2-5? #4 is the last oversized issue and the storyline that very briefly starts in #4 doesn't conclude until the end of #7 if I'm not mistaken. My recommendation? Go for the safe bet and just do 1-62. :grin:

And here is the official scan from CGC.

10psilf.jpg

You can see the waviness from the ticks on the front cover a lot more in this picture than my previous scan that was provided by the seller (i'm sure on purpose haha). For my first "major" comic purchase in years, I'm pretty pleased with it. However, after seeing some of the copies floating around here, I know I'll catch the upgrade bug. :/

10psilf.jpg

You can see the waviness from the ticks on the front cover a lot more in this picture than my previous scan that was provided by the seller (i'm sure on purpose haha). For my first "major" comic purchase in years, I'm pretty pleased with it. However, after seeing some of the copies floating around here, I know I'll catch the upgrade bug. :/

Heck of a nice looking 6.0. I love those water damage books :)

10psilf.jpg

Heck of a nice looking 6.0. I love those water damage books :)

Thanks. It's weird because there aren't any remnants of water damage to the book (no stains int he inside cover or anything like that) but maybe you're right? There are small tears where the waves are, so I thought it was stemming from those, but I'm still happy with it.

On a similar note, I just picked up a really nice #4 in the wild today. It's a really, really nice copy.

I have to admit, getting back into the hobby with a bit of disposable income is a lot more fun than when I collected at 13.

You can officially add the J-fish in the #1 club now, my copy is paid for and in transit!

Happy birthday to ME, mwahahahahaah! :whee:

scan0007.jpg

scan.jpg

Congrats! :)

What's the grade on that puppy? Looks pretty nice from the scan...

Its one of those "looks much nicer than the grade" books. The front looks great, but tthe back has a 2 inch color breaking scratch on the bottom, so I am very pleased. I will likely crack it out of the case, I just cant stand the 7.5 label sitting over that awesome looking book!

Well, I can safely say that I'm not upgrading mine! First, I typically only get keys in lower grade so a 6.0 is pretty impressive IMO. Second, considering how much it would run me to upgrade? No thanks! I'll take my double signed, single-sketched 6.0 and call it a day!

And SHOULD have another SS to add to the collection relatively soon!-)

Hi. I was hoping some of you Ninja Turtle experts could help me out. I just bought a large lot of books and came across a copy of tmnt #1. I've owned a third print for years but never a first (although I've always wanted one). I checked right away for the Gobbledygook ad and it was there and it has the Dover address on the inside front cover.

I've been searching the net for info beyond what is in the overstreet guide to verify if it is real or a counterfeit. The interior pages are newsprint but the back cover has a bit of scratching across the middle. I'm leaning toward thinking it's a fake but holding onto the hope that it's real (if it is, I'm keeping it).

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6103.jpg

I saw your post on the Drome forums but unfortunately, I can't be much help here other than to say that the red/black on the cover (especially around Leo and Raph's faces) looks a little off to me. This could be due to exposure to sunlight.

You could put this in the "ASK CGC" portion of the forum. Maybe you could get a grader to take a look at the pics you have to tell you what they look for when determining a real copy vs. a counterfeit as there are graded examples of counterfeits for issues 1 and 2.

By the way, I'd be VERY interested in buying/trading for that book if it does turn out to be a counterfeit. I've been wanting one for my collection.

Most of the subtle clues that it would be fake are hard to spot from a photo. The variation in red tone could easily just be the photo. How is the black on the book? Is there any bluish hue to it? Many of the counterfeits were obviously printed on the cheap, so the blacks are not "deep black"

Edited by Archon_Turtle