• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2020 at 4:48 AM, TMNT said:

You are completely right, E. I used to love this thread... But as it seems as the price goes up, the nastier it gets in here. Money brings out the best I guess... 

You're both bang on but I continue to love this thread regardless of the negativity of late. I see a lot of people celebrating their #1's and that is why I am here and I'm getting a real education at the same time! 

On 9/8/2020 at 2:33 PM, tvindy said:

I'll use my first post to join this group. I bought a TMNT #1 first edition back in 1984 when it first came out. Back then, I bought all my comics from a wholesaler, so I actually paid less for it than cover price. I've just started going through my old comic book collection, separating out the most valuable comics. I figured I should send TMNT off to CGC, since not only is it valuable, but it wasn't even bagged! I'd feel a lot more secure with it slabbed. CGC said it would be a good candidate for pressing, so I authorized pressing. (It had gotten a bit rolled, since it hadn't remained completely upright in the box it was stored in.) I was expecting a grade from 7.0 to 8.0, but when I finally got the grade, it was 9.6! (Certification #3710982001) I'm quite happy with this news, and I'll be holding onto it for at least a few more years, so I can enjoy owning it for awhile.

Very cool story. Paid less than cover price in 1984. Stored in a box since. It gets a bit rolled over the years from storage. Now comes back 9.6 from CGC! Wow. Good for you!

On 9/9/2020 at 4:13 PM, Chip Hart said:

Thanks - this looked like the thing to do, but it's nice to have confirmation.  Unfortunately, there's no dealer near me I can confer with.  I called a dealer about 90m from me last week and had a long chat with an employee, but no return call.  Oh well!

You can complete an application to CGC online and then send in your comic for grading yourself

On 10/10/2020 at 5:45 PM, GM8 said:

Ok I can finally get this off my chest. I'm in the club. I've been following the Turtles since they originally came out and have loved talking with other Turtle-heads over the years on this forum but have kept my collection private mostly. Some PMs here or there but I've never felt the time was right. Now is the time. Why? Because they're safe and sound in a safe deposit box and I don't have to stress about the risk of having them get stolen/damaged, etc.

My first "1st print" purchase was from a big NYC comic shop back in 1986 or 1987. I got it and was so happy, paying about $125 at the time. A couple looks later and something didn't sit right with me. I looked closer and in better light and saw the abrasion below the word "First" on the inside cover. Then I read a little about it, I don't recall where, but they talked about counterfeit copies. It was a third print with the "third" scratched out and "first" written in. I told the comic shop guy (who probably knew it was fake) and luckily he acquiesced and gave me my money back. His reply to me was "you were right!". Yeah. I was really disappointed of course and gave up the search at the time.

Finally not long after, I got the urge again as I saw prices were increasing. I managed to track down not one but two first prints. Originally I bought them from two different sellers in the Comics Buyers Guide probably around '89 and '91 for the two purchases. I believe I paid about $180 for the signed one and $300 for the unsigned one a couple years later. They graded 9.6 and 9.8 a couple years ago at CGC respectively, both blue label. Seeing those grades at first was just unbelievable in the moment for me. I lost my s*&t when the 9.8 popped up on my screen! 

Just a big weight off my shoulders now that they're safe and secure. Not sharing photos/CGC #'s until I decide to part with them. Either way, I'll hold on to my 3rd print which I bought off the shelf in '85. 

Great story. Make sure the safety deposit box is free of moisture. I've read stories where people's comics got exposed to trapped moisture in their boxes and it caused the staples to rust. Those silicon gel packs can help I think, though got to change them every so often

On 12/4/2020 at 7:15 PM, Subby1938 said:

Finally got these all in and I’m happy . I’m noticing on eBay two cgc tmnt 2 went in auction

cgc 9.0 $997.00 Canadian

cgc 9.4 $913.00 Canadian 

just a heads up folks be smart in your bidding and watch for new listings . Whoever bought the 9.4 got a steal compared to other listing that day.

Now back to my books lol

DEB543FA-CBA9-4EA0-B40A-DF285A4402BB.jpeg

AB92A2C8-8F25-4D2B-B8DB-62662880A286.png

That's a gorgeous set there. Do you still own these?

On 12/12/2020 at 3:20 PM, pubmonkey said:

There are only 1000 of these so supply and demand should push these up. The HC version is limited to 500.

while not part of the original oversize prints they recapture that magic in deluxe format 8 years later (1992). The quality of the paper is excellent in comparison and frankly I'm surprised more of them have not retained their minty fresh condition of at least 9.8. The Hardcover is signed but I am having a hard time remembering if they have sketches or not. will check later...

There was an initial surge of interest around 2013/2014 and they were hot property. since then, maybe due to a lack of submissions, they haven't really taken off again. We need a CGC certified one go for sale to gauge the interest. I have seen them selling in raw vf condition for between $60 and $100 sometimes more. The copies I see always seem to have been beaten up tho...hm

The HC has a price tag $25 wasn't that a lot of money for a comic back in 1992? Yeah you would think that they would have been better preserved.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:13 AM, Subby1938 said:

I own a set of 9.6s issues 1-4 

1 third print 

2 first print 

3 first print non variant 

4 first print 

I’m currently paying off my third print issue one will update group shot once it arrives 

Yeh that’s a super cool set and nice they’re all the same high grade. Smart purchase!

On 9/12/2021 at 6:57 AM, sorrenmj said:

2nd prints are already following the trend of the 1st prints from about 10 years ago. I remember reading posts on the boards where people were considering buying 1st prints for circa 2k. 2nd prints are now selling for circa 2k. It seems clear to me 2nd prints are going the way of 1st prints from 10 years ago and catching up fast! 

I sold my raw low grad 2nd print in 2018 and and was lucky enough to find a graded 7.0 for $525 in 2019 that had a broken case. Had it recased last year and was the best thing I could have done. I had regretted selling my raw copy when i had. Though I sold it with a raw 1st #2, an 8.0 1st #3, a raw 1st #4 and a raw 1st Raph one shot that i wish i still all had right now.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:51 PM, SpeedforceKJ said:

I sold my raw low grad 2nd print in 2018 and and was lucky enough to find a graded 7.0 for $525 in 2019 that had a broken case. Had it recased last year and was the best thing I could have done. I had regretted selling my raw copy when i had. Though I sold it with a raw 1st #2, an 8.0 1st #3, a raw 1st #4 and a raw 1st Raph one shot that i wish i still all had right now.

#2 first prints and Raphael sell for big money. #3 and #4 seem affordable still. Perhaps it'd be worth buying these back now. It could help resolve regret some? Equilibrium restored and all that?

On 9/13/2021 at 12:36 PM, sorrenmj said:

#2 first prints and Raphael sell for big money. #3 and #4 seem affordable still. Perhaps it'd be worth buying these back now. It could help resolve regret some? Equilibrium restored and all that?

I hate to say it but i think the #2 first print is long out my price range. I regret selling the set but needed some money to help pay for my wedding. I was happy to at least get a chance to get another 2nd #1 and a copy in much better condition then i had before. My biggest regret outside of just selling it was I only got $500 for the whole lot.