• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2021 at 7:05 PM, SpeedforceKJ said:

I hate to say it but i think the #2 first print is long out my price range. I regret selling the set but needed some money to help pay for my wedding. I was happy to at least get a chance to get another 2nd #1 and a copy in much better condition then i had before. My biggest regret outside of just selling it was I only got $500 for the whole lot. 

Ah, well hopefully you will get lucky and find an affordable raw copy which you can slab and come back high grade? If I see a raw affordable high grade candidate I will let you know

On 2/28/2021 at 7:29 AM, Gazoony said:

For value I absolutely agree, I would choose the 2nd print too. But if I had to choose only one to keep for the rest of my life and couldn't sell, I'd pick the first print and love it forever. 😃

This is how I feel about it too. I'd love a 1st print no matter the grade. I got excited thinking about owning a 1st print in 0.5!

On 9/13/2021 at 7:15 PM, Wolverinex said:

We got to find one for you. I know one boardie owns 6 copies

6 copies! Some boardie made a very smart acquisition! I'd love a 1st print but honestly could never afford the costs these are going for, sigh 8>/. I possibly could afford a super duper lower than low grade copy, you know the one that was rescued from a landfill, if such a copy exists. I will definitely keep looking out for copies in any case. Who knows, sometimes it's possible these things can happen!

On 9/13/2021 at 2:23 PM, sorrenmj said:

6 copies! Some boardie made a very smart acquisition! I'd love a 1st print but honestly could never afford the costs these are going for, sigh 8>/. I possibly could afford a super duper lower than low grade copy, you know the one that was rescued from a landfill, if such a copy exists. I will definitely keep looking out for copies in any case. Who knows, sometimes it's possible these things can happen!

If there's a will there's a way. Maybe you could also liquidate some of your other Comics if you do find a copy

On 9/13/2021 at 7:24 PM, Wolverinex said:

If there's a will there's a way. Maybe you could also liquidate some of your other Comics if you do find a copy

I do have other TMNT comics I could perhaps trade if the opportunity comes along. Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I'll definitely bear this in mind 

On 5/6/2021 at 1:07 AM, Subby1938 said:

New add . Happy to have early number 1 back in PC. I used to own first print 9.0 and traded it away few years ago and missed that book. This one matched my other early book grades and fills the void . I have zero urge to keep chasing at this point . I’m happy . 

35A46A2B-9E86-4F6A-8DFE-B3E9F684FD2B.png

You have a perfect set of 9.6's!

I've been on the lookout for a #2 and #3 first prints in 9.8 this year and have watched the prices follow the wave and I think for these books (and a couple of others) are on their way down now. 

If you look at HA hammer prices alone last week a #2 OW/W went for $1920, the month before one went for $2880 and another back in June: $4320.

#1s are obviously a different story but I feel other previously bumped up books are coming down to where they used to somewhat be. 

On 9/4/2021 at 5:00 PM, rich_TMNT said:

If I'm able to get a reprint done from the negatives, the goal would be to reproduce it as closely as possible to TMNT #1 1st printing (but I'd need to commission the covers - front back and interiors - since I don't have the negatives of those).  So, 3,275 copies (to replicate the 1st printing print run) would be part of it - along with probably the book containing the articles about the negatives.  

Definitely something I won't give up on.  

I read somewhere the negatives were signed by the creators (bar P Laird). Would this affect using the negatives to reprint the pages? If there's a mailing list I can sign up to registering interest please let me know 

On 9/14/2021 at 1:22 AM, rich_TMNT said:

Yes, all six of the flats the negatives are arranged in are signed by Kevin Eastman, Steve Lavigne, and Jim Lawson.  But, they didn't sign the negatives themselves - they signed around them.  Their signatures wouldn't ever impact reprinting.  The biggest hurdle is actually finding a printer that can still make printing plates from negatives arranged in flats.  That printing technology went bye bye long ago.   

20190915_170925-1-338x600.jpg

That's really cool to see the negatives like that. Thanks for sharing

Did anybody ever buy their #1 direct from K Eastman/P Laird and have it mailed to them back in 1984? If so how was it shipped? In a cardboard box, like you would expect today or some kind of bubble mailer? Just curious to know. I cannot imagine that what has now become such a valuable comic ever being shipped to customers in some kind of bubble mailer! Just curious is all :)

On 9/16/2021 at 2:30 PM, sorrenmj said:

Did anybody ever buy their #1 direct from K Eastman/P Laird and have it mailed to them back in 1984? If so how was it shipped? In a cardboard box, like you would expect today or some kind of bubble mailer? Just curious to know. I cannot imagine that what has now become such a valuable comic ever being shipped to customers in some kind of bubble mailer! Just curious is all :)

My brother did that. He learned about it from an ad in the Comics Buyer's Guide and ordered it. I don't recall how it was shipped, but it arrived undamaged. (I don't think bubble mailers existed back then.)