• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2021 at 1:30 PM, sorrenmj said:

Did anybody ever buy their #1 direct from K Eastman/P Laird and have it mailed to them back in 1984? If so how was it shipped? In a cardboard box, like you would expect today or some kind of bubble mailer? Just curious to know. I cannot imagine that what has now become such a valuable comic ever being shipped to customers in some kind of bubble mailer! Just curious is all :)

For what it's worth, I have this old 1984 mailing envelope from Mirage. It was used to ship the iron-ons. It's just a standard manila envelope, no bubbles. Maybe a similar thing was used for the comics? 

IMG_4470sm.jpg

On 9/16/2021 at 8:14 PM, spracknetch23 said:

For what it's worth, I have this old 1984 mailing envelope from Mirage. It was used to ship the iron-ons. It's just a standard manila envelope, no bubbles. Maybe a similar thing was used for the comics? 

IMG_4470sm.jpg

Ha ha that's incredible you saved that! I bet that is exactly how they were shipped! I can'y believe it. Just a piece of card and paper with a polite do not fold message to house what could eventually become a million dollar comic. Thanks for sharing that epic piece of comic history!

On 9/16/2021 at 4:19 PM, sorrenmj said:

Ha ha that's incredible you saved that! I bet that is exactly how they were shipped! I can'y believe it. Just a piece of card and paper with a polite do not fold message to house what could eventually become a million dollar comic. Thanks for sharing that epic piece of comic history!

That's actually not as bad as what Marvel did when you subscribed (by mail) to one of their titles. They just took a piece of brown paper and wrapped it around the comic with the top and bottom open and exposed. Several comics in my collection arrived that way, including "Days of Future Past." For a brief period, we had a mailman who loved to fold the comics before placing them inside the mailbox. I remember being very upset about that.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:32 PM, tvindy said:

That's actually not as bad as what Marvel did when you subscribed (by mail) to one of their titles. They just took a piece of brown paper and wrapped it around the comic with the top and bottom open and exposed. Several comics in my collection arrived that way, including "Days of Future Past." For a brief period, we had a mailman who loved to fold the comics before placing them inside the mailbox. I remember being very upset about that.

Unbelievable. No wonder so many comics are low grades from that time

On 9/16/2021 at 3:19 PM, sorrenmj said:

I actually was only six years old in 1984 and had no idea what TMNT was until 1987. But I acquired this envelope from another collector who had found it on Ebay along with the full set of seven 1984 iron-ons it was shipped with. Unfortunately the iron-ons didn't come with our deal. But I imagine this is how they shipped most things at the time! Eastman and Laird would have called you nuts if you told them their comic would be worth so much one day.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:55 PM, spracknetch23 said:

I actually was only six years old in 1984 and had no idea what TMNT was until 1987. But I acquired this envelope from another collector who had found it on Ebay along with the full set of seven 1984 iron-ons it was shipped with. Unfortunately the iron-ons didn't come with our deal. But I imagine this is how they shipped most things at the time! Eastman and Laird would have called you nuts if you told them their comic would be worth so much one day.

I didn't realise the iron-ons were so large scale. For some reason I thought they would be tiny.

On 9/17/2021 at 2:44 AM, spracknetch23 said:

I think the ads gave the impression that they're pretty small, but they're about the length and width of a TMNT #1. This image of my #1 collection from a few years ago shows the relation of the books to the size of the iron-on (top right). I keep them in the same magazine-sized sleeves I keep the early comics in. 

TMNT 1 pose collection.JPG

That collection is magnificent. The iron on has similar colors to the idw #1 color cover edition. I didn’t know that before. Thanks for sharing 

On 9/17/2021 at 6:54 AM, Wolverinex said:

If I bought 1000 Bitcoins when it was $0.25 and now I'm worth millions yes

You don't even have to do that...  NFT market is hot this year, with a few like BAYC hitting massive success, and have only been minted in the past 5 months .  Lowest price right now for floor apes (commons) is $145K, up to 2M for rares, with a total of 10K were minted (I think each was first offered at 0.08 ETH, or $250-ish ).  It's a bubble no doubt, but damn is it interesting to see it explode to such HUGE levels (for blue chips like BAYC, Punks, Gutter Gang, VeeFriends, etc..) - see the recent Sotheby's auction to see how mainstream this has become - https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2021/ape-in/101-bored-ape-yacht-club

Edited by kaylab

I just saw this update on Mirage's website:

September, 2021

Mirage Studios sold the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles intellectual property to Viacom/Nickelodeon in October 2009 and, after winding down business affairs over the last dozen years, the four Mirage corporations (Mirage Studios, Inc., Mirage Licensing, Inc., Mirage Publishing, Inc., and Mirage Management, Inc.) were dissolved in 2021. Mirage is no longer conducting any merchandise sales, either directly through this site or via eBay as of September 19th, 2021. This site will no longer be updated and is being maintained primarily as an archival resource related to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics published by Mirage between the years 1984 and 2010. While Mirage has gone out of existence, thanks to you, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will live on forever. Thank you all for your years of support. It has been a pleasure sharing the Turtles’ story and universe with you. Cowabunga!