• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2021 at 3:35 AM, lou_fine said:

Big kudos to you as it looks like you was able to not only make an astute and fantastic pickup here, but also wise enough to keep the book in pristine condition over the long decades.  :applause:

Did you have to pay just cover price for your copy since it was pirchased directly from Mirage back in 1984 when the book first came out?  Just wondering since a LCS owner asked me if I was interested in obtaining a copy direct from Mirage sometime in '86 or '87, but flatly turned him down when he quoted me an outrageous price of some $300 for that POS looking book.  Instead, being a mainstream type of collector, I went and took him up on his offer of $40 for the signed and numbered limited hardcover edition of the Dark Knight Returns which I would probably be lucky if I could get back my $40 for it today.  doh!  :censored:  lol

I was shocked to see the 9.6 on the site - was told I had to wait for unboxing to know grade....

Now for more high tension page refreshing.....

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 11.34.42 AM.png

On 12/9/2021 at 7:37 PM, oakman29 said:

200K! For that hot mess? 

I would tend to agree with you here as I am definitely not a fan of horrid looking scrawl artwork or signatures on covers myself, and I guess this is the reason why this copy here will most probably pass the quarter million mark in CC's big Event Auction next Tuesday:  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/928850

tee2.660.jpg

On 12/9/2021 at 9:38 PM, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree with you here as I am definitely not a fan of horrid looking scrawl artwork or signatures on covers myself, and I guess this is the reason why this copy here will most probably pass the quarter million mark in CC's big Event Auction next Tuesday:  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/928850

tee2.660.jpg

Very pretty, is this your book? Weeks, ur months, oh hell days ago I would have laughed at a quarter of a million for this book. Now not so much. 

On 12/10/2021 at 1:33 AM, oakman29 said:

Very pretty, is this your book? Weeks, ur months, oh hell days ago I would have laughed at a quarter of a million for this book. Now not so much. 

Wasn't the last high 9.8 sale $245,000? That was a few months ago at Comic Connect.

On 12/10/2021 at 12:13 PM, jaybuck43 said:

The sketches significantly affected the price on this.  I know for a fact that a private auction sold a 9.8 at the same time for well over $200,000

Absolutely, Eastman took a $45,000  d*mp on the cover.  But thankfully someone rich enjoys that type of play. 

On 12/10/2021 at 9:02 AM, Gazoony said:
On 12/9/2021 at 10:33 PM, oakman29 said:

Wasn't the last high 9.8 sale $245,000? That was a few months ago at Comic Connect.

No, the $245K sale that took place in a private sale at CC back in September was followed a short month later by this private sale for $250K:  :gossip:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/929799

tee2.670.jpg

Like I said in a previous post, it would appear that CC is really the market maker when it comes to these high grade copies (i.e. CGC 9.8 and CGC 9.6) of TMNT 1.  (thumbsu

Although it has made me kind of wonder just how many HG copies of this key classic, but relatively recent and relatively high population count CA book does Metro and CC either have access to or within their personal inventory, as based upon the number of continuin record setting sales they've been able to achieve over the past couple of years.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/9/2021 at 5:36 AM, The Comics Trip said:

I sigh because I'm 1985 I read a cool ad in the CBG newspaper that ripped off Miller's Ronin. I loved it and bought ....ummm....10 of them 🤯

I bought them all for cover price and sold 8 of them for cover to my friends. I sold another in 1990 for 200. And luckily, I held onto my remaining copy and here we are!

Wow oh wowza.......................10 copies of TMNT 1 First Print and all for cover price only!!!  :cloud9:  :takeit:

Have you ever considered contacting your friends to see what they ended up doing with their copies of the book?  hm

Just imagine if you still had all 10 copies of this book here, as it could probably buy you a nice place to live or at least serve as down payment on a house depending upon where you live.  (thumbsu

What did it end up costing you to grade and slab the book and don't you hate it when the cost of certification is probably pretty much close to equivalent to what the entire print run would have cost you to buy when the book first came out.  lol

On 12/10/2021 at 7:43 PM, Ozonetv said:

I don't think this book was a 9.8 before the sketch...It must have been messed up like this to cover up the color breaks making it a 9.8. Pretty clever, and probably increased the value by at least 150k.

I’m sure CGC would have seen the spine ticks on it even with the sketch. The submitting party can’t tell Eastman where to start drawing to hide imperfections

On 12/10/2021 at 8:37 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:
On 12/10/2021 at 7:43 PM, Ozonetv said:

I don't think this book was a 9.8 before the sketch...It must have been messed up like this to cover up the color breaks making it a 9.8. Pretty clever, and probably increased the value by at least 150k.

I’m sure CGC would have seen the spine ticks on it even with the sketch. The submitting party can’t tell Eastman where to start drawing to hide imperfections

Yes, although this type of "artful signature" on Kevin's part certainly cannot hide spine ticks, this scattergun approach to signing should be good enough to hide color touch from the graders, since the entire front and back covers are already pretty much color touched.  :devil:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/10/2021 at 10:52 PM, lou_fine said:

Wow oh wowza.......................10 copies of TMNT 1 First Print and all for cover price only!!!  :cloud9:  :takeit:

Have you ever considered contacting your friends to see what they ended up doing with their copies of the book?  hm

Just imagine if you still had all 10 copies of this book here, as it could probably buy you a nice place to live or at least serve as down payment on a house depending upon where you live.  (thumbsu

What did it end up costing you to grade and slab the book and don't you hate it when the cost of certification is probably pretty much close to equivalent to what the entire print run would have cost you to buy when the book first came out.  lol

The cost was high - walkthrough, pressing, certified mail and insurance.....serious primed to cash it in for a huge house downpayment B-)

On 12/13/2021 at 5:54 AM, The Comics Trip said:
On 12/10/2021 at 7:52 PM, lou_fine said:

The cost was high - walkthrough, pressing, certified mail and insurance.....serious primed to cash it in for a huge house downpayment B-)

Well, if it was both pressing and then grading which you had to pay for, then it definitely cost you way more than what the entire print run for the first edition of TMNT 1 would have cost you when the book first came out back in 1984.  :(

Looks like you must live in an affordable part of the country if you can cash this in for a huge house down payment because where I live it would probably be good enough only for a down payment on the down payment for a house.  :mad:  :censored: