• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2022 at 7:08 PM, OtherEric said:

I upgraded my membership card from 4th print to 3rd print last month.  Probably as good as I’ll ever get.

TMNT_01_4th.thumb.jpg.b11154a900d76a45befd5eada2d36fcc.jpgTMNT_01_3rd.thumb.jpg.e0f175c6d5d011332e528e9a7e6a4f30.jpg

Ah man that's a sweet trade up! Speaking as one who has just given up on #1 issue all together lol

You're talking me into it somehow eek. But I understand how you feel about finally getting the 3rd print, as it would satisfy me as well (thats what I mean lol)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just noticed there are now 40 tmnt #1 in 9.8. I'm not sure if this is because some blue labels were resubmitted for yellow labels and then were not removed from the blues but there are now 5 yellows, 34 blues and 1 green.

here's the breakdown for the first 3 printings in 9.8 as of 5 minutes ago:

1st printing: 40       3.5% of population (1132 total in all grades) 

2nd printing: 12      1.7% of population (714 total in all grades)

3rd printing: 78       4% of population (1893 total in all grades)

On 9/4/2022 at 8:09 AM, pubmonkey said:

Just noticed there are now 40 tmnt #1 in 9.8. I'm not sure if this is because some blue labels were resubmitted for yellow labels and then were not removed from the blues but there are now 5 yellows, 34 blues and 1 green.

Isn't it really much more likely that these are brand new raw copies submitted in for grading since the count for the CGC 9.8's went up by 2 for the Universal and by 1 for the Signature series for the week of August 9th:  hm  

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/5000360/6mo

Especially since TMNT 1 is a more recent book from 1984 and we would expect to see more 9.8 graded copies to surface over a period of time.  Heck, i would not be at all surprised if these 3 new 9.8 graded copies came from the same submittor who had squirrel these copies away from the get go since they all popped up in the same week.  (shrug)

On 9/4/2022 at 1:32 PM, lou_fine said:

Heck, i would not be at all surprised if these 3 new 9.8 graded copies came from the same submittor who had squirrel these copies away from the get go since they all popped up in the same week.  (shrug)

I think that's correct - I know of one collection of 10 raw copies, 5 were just graded and one came back a 9.8. 

For some of the boardies here who had the illusion that TMNT 1 was going to hit 7-figures one day when CC had those near quarter million dollars sales last year, it's starting to look more like the far fetch dream that it was.  Especially when compared to the current reality where it has a better shot at falling back down under 6-figures if the current downward trend for this year continues, as evident by this result in yesterday's Heritage Auction:  :frown:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7283-91062.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Modern Age (1980-Present):Alternative/Underground, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (Mirage Studios, 1984) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Sold for only $156K which is a near $100K drop from last year, but then again for the longer term collectors, still a super strong price when compared to the $35K to $60K price range where it was selling for a short 2 or 3 years ago.  :applause:

On 11/19/2022 at 7:58 PM, lou_fine said:

For some of the boardies here who had the illusion that TMNT 1 was going to hit 7-figures one day when CC had those near quarter million dollars sales last year, it's starting to look more like the far fetch dream that it was.  Especially when compared to the current reality where it has a better shot at falling back down under 6-figures if the current downward trend for this year continues, as evident by this result in yesterday's Heritage Auction:  :frown:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7283-91062.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Modern Age (1980-Present):Alternative/Underground, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (Mirage Studios, 1984) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Sold for only $156K which is a near $100K drop from last year, but then again for the longer term collectors, still a super strong price when compared to the $35K to $60K price range where it was selling for a short 2 or 3 years ago.  :applause:

This reminds me of the 90K Heritage previous peak sale back in 8/1/2019. That brought out all the naysayers, and for a while they were right.  The subsequent drop in sales prices (52.8K, 50K, 59K, 58K) over the next almost 2 years went on until it was finally topped again on 6/8/21 at 92K. 

I think we'll see something similar. A couple years from the peak 250K sale of 10/13/21 to reach that peak again. Then up and up.

On 11/21/2022 at 7:02 AM, GM8 said:

This reminds me of the 90K Heritage previous peak sale back in 8/1/2019. That brought out all the naysayers, and for a while they were right.  The subsequent drop in sales prices (52.8K, 50K, 59K, 58K) over the next almost 2 years went on until it was finally topped again on 6/8/21 at 92K. 

I think we'll see something similar. A couple years from the peak 250K sale of 10/13/21 to reach that peak again. Then up and up.

Did that $92K sale on 6/8/21 take place on CL because i could not find it in botht he Heritage and CC archives?  ???

Rather interesting that the price for TMNT 1 in CGC 9.8 took such a big jump from $92K in June of 2021 so quicky in less than 3 short months all the way up to $245K in September of 2021.  hm

On 3/31/2023 at 1:40 AM, lou_fine said:

Did that $92K sale on 6/8/21 take place on CL because i could not find it in botht he Heritage and CC archives?  ???

Rather interesting that the price for TMNT 1 in CGC 9.8 took such a big jump from $92K in June of 2021 so quicky in less than 3 short months all the way up to $245K in September of 2021.  hm

It was the Rally copy (# 1199928001), the fractional ownership site/app. 

I know I'm talking to the wind here, but not everything is a conspiracy. There wasn't much on the market at the time, the previous sale was just under a year previous (7/7/20 for $58K). Then yes the price flew in less than 3 months. So, clearly there were sellers on the sidelines waiting for a good price. Then we saw 9 copies from 9/1/21 to 12/22/22 trade between $156K and $250K. 

On 4/27/2023 at 4:03 PM, Ryan. said:

6884289.jpg

Congrats!! A long time ago I missed opportunities, and now any of the 1st 3 printings with that cover is a treasured acquisition! :banana: 

I've seen some at the LCS like a 4.5 but priced at $500, a bit too much still to commit lol and I'm sure I'll be kicking myself for passing again haha.

In short? :makepoint: 

CONGRATS!! :x 

On 4/28/2023 at 11:52 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Congrats!! A long time ago I missed opportunities, and now any of the 1st 3 printings with that cover is a treasured acquisition! :banana: 

I've seen some at the LCS like a 4.5 but priced at $500, a bit too much still to commit lol and I'm sure I'll be kicking myself for passing again haha.

In short? :makepoint: 

CONGRATS!! :x 

I've owned many copies of third prints, mostly before the price explosion a few years ago. After the prices shot up I avoided them but prices seem to have leveled off recently, and I had a bunch of mycomicshop credit burning a hole in my virtual wallet, so I figured I'd grab a copy now to have in the collection. These third prints are nice alternatives to the more expensive earlier printings.

Check this out - a coverless TMNT #1. Not sure how CGC authenticated this as a 1st printing since the interior pages for both the 1st & 2nd printings of TMNT #1 are essentially identical (given they were both printed from the same set of negatives). Additionally, it could even be a 3rd printing but I'd need to see the interior pages to know for sure. You can also tell a 3rd printing by the size of the book - a bit smaller than 1st & 2nd printings - but no way to know that from the pictures.

Very interested to see what this sells for. With CGC labeling it as a 1st printing it could go closer to a 1st printing price but this could actually be a 2nd printing (or, even worse, a 3rd printing). Yikes.

Screenshot 2023-05-04 111225.jpg

On 5/4/2023 at 1:29 PM, rich_TMNT said:

Check this out - a coverless TMNT #1. Not sure how CGC authenticated this as a 1st printing since the interior pages for both the 1st & 2nd printings of TMNT #1 are essentially identical (given they were both printed from the same set of negatives). Additionally, it could even be a 3rd printing but I'd need to see the interior pages to know for sure. You can also tell a 3rd printing by the size of the book - a bit smaller than 1st & 2nd printings - but no way to know that from the pictures.

Very interested to see what this sells for. With CGC labeling it as a 1st printing it could go closer to a 1st printing price but this could actually be a 2nd printing (or, even worse, a 3rd printing). Yikes.

Screenshot 2023-05-04 111225.jpg

Yeesh.  That is scary.  There is literally no way to tell the difference from the first and second print WITHOUT the cover.  Those of us who know can tell a third print, so that's a bit more believable.  But depending on what this goes for, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a bunch of 4.0 and less second print copies getting their covers ripped off and submitted to CGC.

On 5/4/2023 at 12:22 PM, jaybuck43 said:

But depending on what this goes for, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a bunch of 4.0 and less second print copies getting their covers ripped off and submitted to CGC.

I thought the same thing. This could be the first of many coverless TMNT #1's coming to market.  LOL

On 5/4/2023 at 3:36 PM, rich_TMNT said:

I thought the same thing. This could be the first of many coverless TMNT #1's coming to market.  LOL

I put a call into Cgc and heritage to deal with this. Hopefully ha will pull the book and Cgc will add some type of notation like “could be first or second printing” or refuse to blue label them.