• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,291 posts in this topic

WOW! These books are really starting to hit crazy numbers in 9.8! I would love to see what that #1 9.8 would sell for. I betting enough to surprise a lot of people

I'm wondering if it's the same handful of bidders? I have seen several eBayers buying strictly TMNT stuff and overpaying on more than one occasion.

Well there are only 4 copies in 9.8 and if GPA is correct it has been about 3 years sense the last sale. I guess if you are trying to complete a 9.8 run this is one of very few opportunities to do so. (shrug)

Wow. I would say that is a good night for the seller. So do you guys think that the low number of issues are really that rare in 9.8's? Are they are hard to come by or people with those issues don't care to submit them because it is not a #1?

Well there are only 4 copies in 9.8 and if GPA is correct it has been about 3 years sense the last sale. I guess if you are trying to complete a 9.8 run this is one of very few opportunities to do so. (shrug)

Yep, for the last few years there had only been 3 on census and none have moved. Then a new one pops on the census and soon after, one pops up on ebay.

Yep, for the last few years there had only been 3 on census and none have moved. Then a new one pops on the census and soon after, one pops up on ebay.

TMNT, do you know if there has been any recent sales of #2 in 9.8?

I was bidding on all those books. I only one 1 of his TMNT books (none of the ones listed). I checked the bidding history and it seemed like 2 other bidders were actively battling each other for these. I would forecast that if someone up up a Donatello or Michaelangelo 9.8 and let it end next week, they'd realize half these prices. However, I did not expect the #6 to go so high.

Personally, I'm hoping the sale prompts dealers to start submitting their copies and we'll see a few more 9.8 #6s on the census soon. Good sales like this tend to encourage submissions.

I hope so because Adam said he might make his lower grade copy available to me :grin:

I'll tell you what, let Kevin Eastman or Peter Laird make another appearance and I'll have a book that might be a perfect fit for you. It's in bad need of a new CGC case, so why not get it SS'd?

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2.jpg

I'll let you know when it's ready for you. (thumbs u

lol

To my knowledge, none of the 9.8 collectors on this board were the winners on those crazy auctions. lol

As for PMing everyone and their mother the scans...thats an awful lot of time and effort that I dont want to have to go through. I'll figure some way to age gate or censor the content and show it to you guys.

you can put multiple people (up to 10) in the pm. Just take a list of names, make one pm, then add all the names to the TO section. I bet it would make a rollicking pm thread lol

I hope so because Adam said he might make his lower grade copy available to me :grin:

I'll tell you what, let Kevin Eastman or Peter Laird make another appearance and I'll have a book that might be a perfect fit for you. It's in bad need of a new CGC case, so why not get it SS'd?

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2.jpg

I'll let you know when it's ready for you. (thumbs u

Indeed. Why NOT?-) lol

Not like I don't you holding onto another TMNT SS book! lol You know, at this rate, you'll be responsible for 3/4 of my TMNT registry books! :grin:

Why are we out of our ever lovin' minds for wanting the best? Surely you collect CGC TMNT comics if you are on these boards. I didn't win those auctions because I already have those books but I'd pay that high for them if I didn't have them and needed them to complete my 9.8 collection. Some of us have money to blow and in this hobby, some of us like as close to perfect as possible.

I bought a TMNT #8 CGC 9.8 a couple of years ago but then later sold it back once I realized it had "off-white to white pages" on it. I only collect CGC 9.8 or higher with white pages only.

I do this because this is a hobby and the highest grade books get the bragging rights, the highest investment value, and the closest means of perfection for that hobby. I'm not a perfectionist in real life nor do I obsess over anything else. I just like my graded books to be the best of the best.

You can say it doesn't matter all you want, but i'm sure if you are a diehard TMNT collector, and you saw a collection of original volume 1 TMNT comics all CGC 9.8, it would bother you more than you think when you look at your colleciton of 9.6 or lower. Just a theory. I just think that us 9.8 collectors take pride in what we have as not everyone can afford it nor does everyone appreciate the pristine nature of the book inside. That's my rant. Now I said it. I've had my party and cried since I wanted to. The end. :)

Why are we out of our ever lovin' minds for wanting the best? Surely you collect CGC TMNT comics if you are on these boards. I didn't win those auctions because I already have those books but I'd pay that high for them if I didn't have them and needed them to complete my 9.8 collection. Some of us have money to blow and in this hobby, some of us like as close to perfect as possible.

I bought a TMNT #8 CGC 9.8 a couple of years ago but then later sold it back once I realized it had "off-white to white pages" on it. I only collect CGC 9.8 or higher with white pages only.

I do this because this is a hobby and the highest grade books get the bragging rights, the highest investment value, and the closest means of perfection for that hobby. I'm not a perfectionist in real life nor do I obsess over anything else. I just like my graded books to be the best of the best.

You can say it doesn't matter all you want, but i'm sure if you are a diehard TMNT collector, and you saw a collection of original volume 1 TMNT comics all CGC 9.8, it would bother you more than you think when you look at your colleciton of 9.6 or lower. Just a theory. I just think that us 9.8 collectors take pride in what we have as not everyone can afford it nor does everyone appreciate the pristine nature of the book inside. That's my rant. Now I said it. I've had my party and cried since I wanted to. The end. :)

You can rant all you want. That's the beauty of a messageboard like this one. I've found TMNT collectors to be among the friendliest and most helpful on the boards. If one TMNT collector says another is out of his "ever-lovin' mind" you can bet that it's a gentle razzing. :grin:

You can rant all you want. That's the beauty of a messageboard like this one. I've found TMNT collectors to be among the friendliest and most helpful on the boards. If one TMNT collector says another is out of his "ever-lovin' mind" you can bet that it's a gentle razzing. :grin:

Peter speaks the truth. I often jest with my follow turtle collectors as the "A-list" collectors (for lack of a better term) are for the most part, very close friends. Just ask Danny how many times I've told him nobody likes him and that his collection is . :P If I was serious I don't think hed be flying across country in october to attend my wedding.

However, if you'd like a serious response to your question, I will try to give you one.

You can say it doesn't matter all you want, but i'm sure if you are a diehard TMNT collector, and you saw a collection of original volume 1 TMNT comics all CGC 9.8, it would bother you more than you think when you look at your colleciton of 9.6 or lower. Just a theory. I just think that us 9.8 collectors take pride in what we have as not everyone can afford it nor does everyone appreciate the pristine nature of the book inside. That's my rant. Now I said it. I've had my party and cried since I wanted to. The end.

Two things:

First of all, best is an incredibly subjective term. My collection is extremely personal to me, and I enjoy books that feel as though they were personal to someone else. To me, a low grade book often feels more "loved" than one that was most likely sitting in a vault for the last 40 years.

For instance. I am a huge Thor fan. I recently picked up a Journey Into Mystery #83 that is a signature series (Stan Lee) 1.0. Let me tell you, that book deserves to be a 1.0. Significant cover damage; nothing white about the pages whatsoever; the book looks as if it were read into the ground. While many people would scoff at a book like this, I find it incredibly charming. I purchased this book from the original owner, who had kept it since childhood, and had the book SSed by Stan Lee himself. The guy loved the HELL out of that book, and now I have the honor of owning it. That kind of story is worth far more to me than a grade. This mentality spans throughout my collections of various things. I've opened VERY expensive action figures many times just cause I felt they deserved to be played with.

And hell, most of my most prized comic books are books the CGC won't even grade. So what do I care?

Secondly; I find the curve of the slabbed book economy to be apauling. For instance, taking a quick look on c-link right now theres a blue label AF15 7.0 and a blue label AF15 7.5. Both have sold. The price difference for the .5? Roughly $20,000. These are two books that, if raw, the average person wouldnt be able to decern the difference in quality of. That is a mind boggling concept to me. Yes, I used an expensive book to illustrate my point, but the same goes for any CGCed book, the scale simply slides.

In closing, did I litterally mean that 9.8 collectors are crazy? No, of course not. As a collector of...anything should; I would never seriously criticize someone for their passion regardless of what it was. But, on a personal level, it is totally past my comprehension :)

So there you go. I hope that sufficently answered your question.

Also, welcome to the boards. :)

Edited by Archon_Turtle

Just back in from the CGC all spiffy and corrected. Note the addition of "Silver Edition" on the left and "Grey outer cover" on the right.

100_3067.jpg

The variation has also been added to the census.

:applause: Great book you got!

there is really not much to say about your rant. there is no wrong way to collect.

it just makes me dislike cgc to be honest. they have changed the hobby in a way

that just does not work for me. it is less and less about the comic and more and

more about a little label in a plastic slab.

you just sort of dissed a 9.6 compared to a 9.8. i find that so hard to comprehend.

a totally little minor difference (if there is even one) and somehow it is not as nice

as the next minor fractional grade up.

they are both near perfect. if cracked out there is a slight chance either of them

could come back a different grade.

sigh. there is no wrong way to collect anything but i think the koolaid was readily

accepted by quite a few collectors and cgc was counting on that. they know there

is a segment of the market that just eats it up. hook line and sinker.

i was pleased as punch just to get to read the stories. it is a bonus that most of the

turtle books are still sitting raw and unbagged in a desk drawer at my mom's house

for the last 20 some years. Maybe one day i will read them again without having

to pay up for the second time.

end of my rant.